"winter" insurance

Sully

For those of you that park your car during the winter, what coverage do you carry while it's parked?

I've had my car for 4 or 5 winters now. Every winter, I have dropped coverage down to Comp only. My insurance agent told me to do that since I won't be driving it. I never had a problem.

Just recently, that agent retired and my account got moved to another agent and different office. I called yesterday asking to drop my coverage on the car to Comp only. They said they would check on it and call me back. They called today and said that if I don't at least carry Liability, and I get a letter from the BMV, I'm screwed. Is that true?

What is the minimum coverage I can carry while the car is parked in my garage for the winter, without getting busted by the BMV?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Hagerty insurance on my Nova...and I do believe you can put it on any car that has a value that the Kelly Blue Book doesn't recognize. With Hagerty, you are covered, at whatever value you want, for the entire year. I have the Nova insurance for 25,000 and I pay 465 a year, one time fee. You can't beat that with a stick...And the only reason that it's that high, is because I have special insurance on the engine to cover at least a partial rebuild if it were to come apart while leaving a show or something.

It never fails that when I am leaving a cruise-in...my foot slips and I accidentally bust the tires loose a little bit :)

Just my 2cents!

I've never heard that BS. I knock it down to storage insurance, as long as it's in a garage and you don't drive it, you're covered. It's like $7/month. I've done it for several years now.

From what my agent told me, the car is covered if something falls on it or whatever while it's in storage. But, the BMV doesn't see it that way. They say that if it has valid tags, it's still drivable and must have Liability at the minimum. Again, this is what my agent is telling me. I'm just trying to get some facts because I've only carried Comp each winter that I've had it. This is the first I've heard of this also.

So long as it has plates on it, the BMV can "randomly" (bullshit) send you a letter asking for proof of insurance. If you don't have state minimum on it covering it for whatever date they have on the letter, its just as bad as driving without insurance. I've gotten one of these letters for my '91 pickup.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Yes it may be drivable, but that shouldn't matter. If you drive it when it's only covered by storage insurance and you get caught, you're fucked and it's your own fault. I don't see why it's any of the BMV's business.

I don't know man, that's weird. Maybe see if you can get a hold of another agent? I have Grange insurance, and it's never been a problem for me.

I carry comp on the MR2 in the winter probably going on it next week actually. I have heard from my agent that you SHOULD surrender your tags, I have HEARD of people getting audited on this and sending in insurance info on the car they are driving instead of the car they wanted insurance info on and not having anymore problems.

From what my agent told me, the car is covered if something falls on it or whatever while it's in storage. But, the BMV doesn't see it that way. They say that if it has valid tags, it's still drivable and must have Liability at the minimum. Again, this is what my agent is telling me. I'm just trying to get some facts because I've only carried Comp each winter that I've had it. This is the first I've heard of this also.

Correct. If the car has valid tags, it MUST have insurance because you can drive it at anytime. That is the law and how it works. My brother sells insurance and I've looked into this myself. Good luck!

That doesn't make any sense to me. Yes it may be drivable, but that shouldn't matter.

You have access to the vehicle that is possible to roll on the road. Therefor it is a risk and by Ohio law has to be insured. DMV is just upholding the law.

Another thing that certain companies won't allow is excluding your "spouse" on an auto policy. Regardless of the reason they should be excluded they have access to the vehicle 24/7. They are still a risk. Even if they don't have a valid license they could still drive it. It sucks but that's insurance.

You have access to the vehicle that is possible to roll on the road. Therefor it is a risk and by Ohio law has to be insured. DMV is just upholding the law.

Storage insurance is still insurance. Yes I have access to it, but driving it would be breaking the law. I have access to stealing my mom's minivan and driving it off a bridge, but that doesn't mean I'll do it.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Yes it may be drivable, but that shouldn't matter. If you drive it when it's only covered by storage insurance and you get caught, you're fucked and it's your own fault. I don't see why it's any of the BMV's business.

I don't know man, that's weird. Maybe see if you can get a hold of another agent? I have Grange insurance, and it's never been a problem for me.

You sign a form when you get your tags stating that in order to have these tags on said vehicle you must carry insurance.

You sign a form when you get your tags stating that in order to have these tags on said vehicle you must carry insurance.

This /thread

Storage insurance is still insurance.

If it's illegal, then how come my insurance company has let me do it the past five years? I don't know where you guys are getting this idea about having ZERO coverage...

If it's illegal, then how come my insurance company has let me do it the past five years? I don't know where you guys are getting this idea about having ZERO coverage...

You have to have a minimum liability by state law. You signed an agreement to that when you got the registration.

Because you don't have to purchase plates for a car you own and insure. If you have valid plates, you are required to have state min. coverage for the car. If you don't want coverage, drop the tags.

Hmm, well that's news to me. Apparently my insurance company doesn't seem to know either...

because your insurance company doesn't require you to have your car registered in order to carry insurance. But you are required to carry a minimum of insurance to have a car registered.