Immke Honda service shop....

mmrmnhrm

... really ought to just close up and be done with it.

Really.

I drop in this afternoon to ask how much for one of the more intricate services on my car... $350. My eyes pop... here's what's involved:

- Oil and oil filter, tire rotation, $130

- Engine and cabin air filters, $90

- Transmission oil change, $130

So I'm standing there in disbelief, and the PFY helpfully adds that labor is $90/hr. Now I'm no Warren Buffett, but I'm pretty sure that a moderately trained kid making even $15/hr probably has, after accounting for taxes, Social Security, profit, and all that crap, a carriage cost of maybe $40/hr. But $90???!? Pure :bs:. I can buy a Chilton's and the official service manual for that much!

My outside input, as I run a Honda service drive.

We're at 84/hour. Profit is not a dirty word. I think you're referring to the 30k interval service. Our prices-

Oil change/tire rotation-56.52

Trans Service-82.95

Cabin/Engine Filters-90.00

Having said that, Immke's customer service score is in the toilet. 80% bad.

yea that shit is a rip off, considering you can get deals on oil and filters for like 35 bucks for synthetic, a new engine air filter isnt much and a 5 min job to do. Hell all of that stuff you could get for cheap and do your self. the sad part is that the tranny flush cost so much considering how little is actually required to do it.

Honestly what did you expect. The crazy thing is people actually are willing to pay that much for such a simple service.

And this is what fucks the rest of us with commonsense. Someone is willing to pay $40k for a car that costs about $10k and the rest of us get fucked because everyother stealership marks up the same amount. You can add this logic to everything else in this country that has a 90% profit margin.

We are 92.65, MAG is/was 105/hr. That synthetic change isn't bad, but yes consider the tech that is doing the lube work. I saw what kind of young people were passing classes at CSCC's automotive program. be afraid. Our synthetic change is about that much, but again you are paying for the quality of the technician.

... really ought to just close up and be done with it.

Really.

I drop in this afternoon to ask how much for one of the more intricate services on my car... $350. My eyes pop... here's what's involved:

So I'm standing there in disbelief, and the PFY helpfully adds that labor is $90/hr. Now I'm no Warren Buffett, but I'm pretty sure that a moderately trained kid making even $15/hr probably has, after accounting for taxes, Social Security, profit, and all that crap, a carriage cost of maybe $40/hr. But $90???!? Pure :bs:. I can buy a Chilton's and the official service manual for that much!

LOL.

1)Your car takes 0w20 (Hybrid oil 7.99 a quart x 4.2=33.xx just in oil + filter)

2)Immke Labor rates are the 2nd lowest out of the central ohio Honda dealers And Any Competitor Honda Dealers prices are Matched at Immke.

3)Whoever quoted you $130 for a trans fluid exchange is on drugs its $59.95

4)Its a business not a charity. Immke is in business to make money as is everyone else.

You name a mainstream car dealers labor rate in columbus for $40 an hour thats still in business and Ill buy your oil change.

On a side note, Someone has to pay for my toys ;)

We are 92.65, MAG is/was 105/hr. ...but yes consider the tech that is doing the lube work. ... but again you are paying for the quality of the technician.

Ok, just how much are these guys being paid? If Immke's at $90/hr, Kevin's shop at $84, you at $93, and MAG at $105, maybe I'm in the wrong line of work!

LOL.

1)Your car takes 0w20 (Hybrid oil 7.99 a quart x 4.2=33.xx just in oil + filter)

2)Immke Labor rates are the 2nd lowest out of the central ohio Honda dealers And Any Competitor Honda Dealers prices are Matched at Immke.

3)Whoever quoted you $130 for a trans fluid exchange is on drugs its $59.95

4)Its a business not a charity. Immke is in business to make money as is everyone else.

1- I already said I know my oil is expensive stuff, but being told $130 for something so simple raises my hackles.

2- Again, how much are these guys getting paid? Sounds like the labor rates are actually low for this town, but I'm still having trouble swallowing that number.

3- This sounds more realistic, though at this point, I'm either going to drop by a dealership (not Immke) for only the trans and do the rest myself, or figure out where I can buy the stuff and just do that myself as well.

4- Never said they were, just that the prices for stuff that isn't especially difficult made me feel like they were trying to take me for a ride.

Ok, just how much are these guys being paid? If Immke's at $90/hr, Kevin's shop at $84, you at $93, and MAG at $105, maybe I'm in the wrong line of work!

1- I already said I know my oil is expensive stuff, but being told $130 for something so simple raises my hackles.

2- Again, how much are these guys getting paid? Sounds like the labor rates are actually low for this town, but I'm still having trouble swallowing that number.

3- This sounds more realistic, though at this point, I'm either going to drop by a dealership (not Immke) for only the trans and do the rest myself, or figure out where I can buy the stuff and just do that myself as well.

4- Never said they were, just that the prices for stuff that isn't especially difficult made me feel like they were trying to take me for a ride.

so let me clarify something.....

You don't want to service at immke why? (Not that it matters to me I could care less if you go to Jiffy lube) but Sounds to me like they gave you nothing but info YOU requested (Beicides the fact the Trans change was way off)

Is this a shock to you?

I would do all but trans fluid myself.

This stuff takes about an hour for all on my VW, so your super reliable, practical, and economical Honda should take you half that.

Nah, I'm averaging just under an hour as well. My "super reliable, practical, and economical Honda" has this pain in the ass plastic underbody shield that you have to remove in order to drain the oil and get at the filter. I also have to put the front on jackstands, as there isn't enough clearance to get much more than my head underneath it otherwise.

so let me clarify something.....

You don't want to service at immke why? (Not that it matters to me I could care less if you go to Jiffy lube) but Sounds to me like they gave you nothing but info YOU requested (Beicides the fact the Trans change was way off)

agreed, immke is one of the cheapest dealership labor rates in town, we just raised from $85.00 an hour to $90.00.

Apparently you can't comprehend information because some of the information you have is incorrect. I talked with the gentlemen who gave you those prices and you are way off from what he quoted you.

Someone has to pay for my audis to be serviced! ;)

agreed, immke is one of the cheapest dealership labor rates in town, we just raised from $85.00 an hour to $90.00.

Alright, so Immke's one of the cheapest around, and the other folks who run shops all say they're similar in pricing. Fair 'nuff. But I still haven't heard someone explain why $90/hr is a reasonable number. How much does a factory tech make per hour, and how much does a shop have to carry for paying that tech's Social Security, benefits (if any), overhead, and shit like that? If you're afraid of tipping your hand to the competition, go ahead and PM me.

One word: Stealership

This is exactly why I started this thread. I get quoted a big number for what is, essentially, just a fluid and filter swap, and this is the impression that results. Again, if someone could explain why these numbers are so large, that impression might never arise, and I wouldn't have felt the need to vent. Perception versus reality. The perception is I'm paying for nothing more than the "Honda Genuine" name at an official Honda shop. The reality is that I'm looking at my receipts from the two times I had this done at Honda Marysville, and both times it was $240 (call it $270 since I provided the oil and oil filter). Does driving a half-hour away from Columbus really make that much of a difference? Does Marysville pay their techs shit compared to Columbus? Is it because there's a factory just down the street? Last time I stopped at Immke to pick up some wiper blades (a whole separate rant, but not their fault), I mentioned the difference in pricing, and the service rep doing my paperwork said whoever quoted me the first time this maintenance code came up was wrong, and I should come back to them. So now I did, but still got a number 25% higher than Marysville. What gives?

Apparently you can't comprehend information because some of the information you have is incorrect. I talked with the gentlemen who gave you those prices and you are way off from what he quoted you.

:bs: Whoever it was stood there and pulled out a calculator as if I don't know how to do math. Not the way to make someone with an engineering degree, who's staring at you with sticker shock after working 12+ hour days for three weeks straight, feel better. I would like the convenience of local service and a chance to relax, but if it's going to cost that much, screw it.

That's what you get for buying a hybrid. Yaaaay MPGs!!!!

Feh... the only part of this particular maintenance interval I'd rather Honda do is the trans flush. Everything else I typically do in the driveway at my parents'. It does beg the question, though... if Honda wants their CVT fluid changed at (roughly) 25k intervals, why don't regular automatics need it? Or do they, but nobody realizes it because transmissions aren't obvious the way oil is?

Valvoline Instant Oil Change for both. I personally rotate my own in the summer, but in the winter, I bring it to Discount Tire where I bought them and they do it for free. Otherwise, VOIC is cheap and fast and you can watch them the entire time. I always have at least one $7 and one $15 off coupon for an oil change.

Engine, Do it yourself. No excuses. Cabin filter is a PIA on all of my cars, and I have yet to replace it. Will likely do it myself when/if I have time or the care.

Had the dealer do it on the minivan only because I don't want any potential issues with it having a 100k/mi warranty.

I'll likely never bring my cars to the dealer for routine stuff. I'd rather support PPC's or another vendor here on CR.

If you can change your oil in your parents drive way then what is it exactly your bitching about get your facts straight. why even bother going onto a dealer if you have that mentality going into it. I look at it this way if you want to complain/and or cant afford the services for your car then take the bus or walk. End Thread/