Where to get Cat-6 (eithernet) cable?

AudiOn19s

I need to run a hard line from the router in my basement to my great room. I see lengths up to 50' in most retail stores but I"m not certain that's enough for what i need. Might be but it'll be cutting it close.

Is there anywhere locally where I can find longer lengths of cable?

Andy

Do yourself a favor and terminate to a socket/wall-plate, then cover the last little bit with a regular cable. Doesn't seem like a big deal now, but you'll be kicking yourself when Biggie chews it and you have to pull a whole new one.

Monoprice.

Any use wallplates. Cables hanging out of walls looks like shit.

^^ x 1234. Knowing Andy and his attention to "details" he will :D

when we finished our basement, I ran all the wiring inside PVC piping along the walls and ceiling so that fishing more or different lines later would be a snap. I've already upgraded the video lines from my PC to the TV in the family room. Took about 5 minutes to fish new wire and pop them into the wall plates.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

cheapest i've seen anywhere on pretty much every cable in existence.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232

$6.46 for 50ft and you choose your color

Man, I bought about 200ft. of Cat-5 cable on eBay maybe 6-7 years ago and was looking at redoing some cables since I recently had U-Verse installed and while I've used Monoprice plenty for a/v cables I completely dismissed them for networking cables and was looking at eBay again. That's beast mode. About to buy 1,000 ft.

^^ x 1234. Knowing Andy and his attention to "details" he will :D

Sooo...you guys made a very good point. When we built our house we had a few ports built into locations that we thought we would want them but I guess never considered that the TV would be one of them. As I started to really think about how the project would progress I decided just to go buy the wireless adapter for the TV so that It can get it's signal through Wifi instead.

I do appreciate the help though.

Andy

Microcenter has wallplates at a pretty good price. Lots of different kinds too.

I bet Monoprice has a better selection, higher quality stuff, at a lower price.

I decided just to go buy the wireless adapter for the TV so that It can get it's signal through Wifi instead.

I hope that adapter is just for general web browsing through a TV feature, and not for an Xbox 360 (as PS3/Wii have it built in already). Streaming anything good through wireless is the suck...hard wired is the only way to go.

I hope that adapter is just for general web browsing through a TV feature, and not for an Xbox 360 (as PS3/Wii have it built in already). Streaming anything good through wireless is the suck...hard wired is the only way to go.

I was able to stream a full HDx quality movie through wireless without issues last night. So far soo good.