Military guys I have a tough decision..

dover

Well my ETS date is 10 July 2011, bam I'm done with 4yrs 16 weeks of bullshit.

Anywho. I want to stay in. I love it what can I say.

My dillema is I have two options that I am looking into.

35L -

The Counterintelligence Agent is primarily responsible for supervising and conducting counterintelligence surveys and investigations to detect, identify, assess, counter, exploit and neutralize adversarial, Foreign Intelligence Service and terrorist threats to national security.

Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:

Conducts security investigations, processes counterintelligence (CI) evidence, prepares and disseminates CI reporting of Force Protection information to all echelons. Provides CI services and support to force protection operations at all echelons. Participates in Counterintelligence Force Protection Source Operations (CFSO). Performs CI support to anti-terrorism operations. Operates recording and photographic equipment. Consolidates intelligence data, produces and maintains CI analytical products. Conducts liaison. Maintains CI files and databases. Maintains the friendly force, and Foreign Intelligence Services (FIS) threat CI databases.

Conducts sabotage, espionage, treason, and sedition investigations. Conducts liaison with foreign agencies. Plans and conducts counterintelligence investigations. Applies fundamentals of military and civil law. Detects, neutralizes, and exploits counterintelligence targets. Conducts low-level source operations. Conducts overt collection and non-technical operations and surveillance. Conducts counterespionage investigations and operations. Provides counterintelligence/Human intelligence support for multidiscipline counterintelligence products. Prepares counterintelligence reports and estimates.

The MOS has a couple of nice bonuses available for it as well.

Warrant Officer - Aviation - Helicopter Pilot - *Do I need to explain this position?*

I meet all the requirements for this MOS and I think it would be sick to fly.

Basically my main concern is post military careers. I would like to join the CIA one day. But hell I'm not really what sure of jobs I can get as a helicopter pilot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first one......

warrant officer school is a biotch from what i hear. helicopter training sounds like it would take a while.

with all the schools I have been too the LEAST of my worries is warrant officer candidate school.

Average time from start to finish (finish being the ability to fly combat operations) is 9 months. (This is during war-time)

Well... which would you rather do?

CIA job - What would you really be doing? Do you want to do that the rest of your life? Sounds cool as hell though :D

A Pilot would be cool..... dunno about after-career though.... Police Pilot? News Pilot? Other then that.... can't think of too many COMMON careers...

KillJoy

Im not in the military but you definitly have the right set of mind thinking of your future after the military and not just "what would be cool to do right now". My ex-gf's little brother went infantry b/c he wanted to 'shoot shit', wow really dude?

Anyway, If you want to make a good solid case for going into the CIA why even mess around with helicopter pilot? Yes it would be a cool job but realistically how much longer do you want to be in? for life or just the next 2-4years? After being a pilot would you still want to do the CIA thing?

My vote is for counterintelligence agent.

I would stay in if you like it that much. i was in the Guard and was an Aircraft Armament Systems Repairer on the Cobras at Rickenbacker. It was awesome working on the helicopters. I think flying would be awesome. Not sure what it would do for you when you decide to get out though other than flying helis somewhere.

If you want to go into the CIA you need to be in intelligence/ decryption field of the armed forces (mainly navy stuff). As for post jobs as a helicopter pilot, the first and highest paying that came to mind would be a medivac pilot.

Have you been taking classes and complete a Bachelors?

I would contact the CIA and see if you can shadow someone and see if it's something you are really interested in. It's not worth going through all the trouble if you are going to hate your job down the road.

Personally, if you want to fly I would go AF but if you want to fly helicopters Army Warrant Officer is a great gig, if you really want to stay in the Army....

Old neighbor just got out of the Army after 12 years I believe and he was a pilot. Now he makes a very good living (over $100k) flying Life Flight. He loves it to death. He also now has a job for the company that pays him to set up new Life Flight ports to fly from.

Since I have known him for the past three years he has turned down four very good paying flying jobs. So there are plenty out there for you.

Well my ETS date is 10 July 2011, bam I'm done with 4yrs 16 weeks of bullshit.

Anywho. I want to stay in. I love it what can I say.

My dillema is I have two options that I am looking into.

35L -

The MOS has a couple of nice bonuses available for it as well.

Warrant Officer - Aviation - Helicopter Pilot - *Do I need to explain this position?*

I meet all the requirements for this MOS and I think it would be sick to fly.

Basically my main concern is post military careers. I would like to join the CIA one day. But hell I'm not really what sure of jobs I can get as a helicopter pilot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dover, you can get into the CIA with any of the MOS you posted. You will need a degree (advanced degrees help), I don't recall if you have one. There is a lot of misinformation about what the CIA is/does. What do you want to do in the agency?

If you have specific questions just let me know. If I can't answer, I can get an answer from my professor for Advanced Intelligence next quarter. She's a retired CIA officer and is really helpful assuming the info is not classified.

If you want to go into the CIA you need to be in intelligence/ decryption field of the armed forces (mainly navy stuff). As for post jobs as a helicopter pilot, the first and highest paying that came to mind would be a medivac pilot.

Wrong. You do not have to have a background in intelligence, or anything related to it, to get into the CIA, it just helps. Mainly Naval intelligence is what gets you in? Damn, that's news to me. I guess I'll call the remaining members of the IC and tell them they need to go work for naval intel.

Wrong. You do not have to have a background in intelligence, or anything related to it, to get into the CIA, it just helps. Mainly Naval intelligence is what gets you in? Damn, that's news to me. I guess I'll call the remaining members of the IC and tell them they need to go work for naval intel.

If you have a degree, a clearance, and aren't a dumbass, you can get in.

Personally, if I were you, I would stay enlisted, get your degree, and get an officer slot. Fuck WOCs or whatever, go make some real money and retire when you are 40, pulling O-5 or O-6 retirement pay til you die.

Plus there have to be some sick enlisted to officer programs in the army. I hear they are killing for officers right now. Most people make captain and get the hell out. Idk why.

Check out the International Studies: Security and Intelligence degree at OSU. That's what I'm in and I love it. If you can stay in Ohio, it might be a good fit for you and your future plans.

http://internationalstudies.osu.edu/majors/security_intelligence#88

Click on the link for requirements and you can see how interesting the courses are.

For CIA info start here.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/index.html

Average time from start to finish (finish being the ability to fly combat operations) is 9 months. (This is during war-time)

Anyone telling you that you will be flying operationally in 9months is lieing.

I flew in the Navy. Fixed wing EA-6Bs but I did some stick time in H57s and knew the pilot track those guys took. If the Army timeline is anything like the Navy you're looking at 18months door to door (can't speak to wartime shortcuts though). Thats without any school delays. For us, it was more like 2 years because you tended to have to wait a few weeks/months here and there to pick up the next class in your series. THEN your contract started ticking. So for the Navy guys you were looking at a 6-8year commitment total.

As for jobs coming out, there are helo pilot jobs in every city of the nation. CIA, FBI, coast guard, metropolitan police, and so on. The jobs are there. My neighbor flew Cobras for the Coast Guard on anti-drug duty. Shot up more than his share of cocaine cigar boats coming from S. America in that job.... However these jobs tend to go for the guys with a decent amount of flight time, so don't expect to land one with a single 4 year contract under your belt. It might take two cycles to get yourself more attractive to the civilian and LE market.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. good luck on whatever you decide.