itunes help

wnaplay1647545503

Can you swap songs with people? My dads Ipod has alot of songs I like and if I buy another ipod, can I sync it to my library and also to his or do I need to just transfer the over one cd at a time? Also can you store cd's on itunes without having to put the cd in to find the song?

Can you swap songs with people? My dads Ipod has alot of songs I like and if I buy another ipod, can I sync it to my library and also to his or do I need to just transfer the over one cd at a time? Also can you store cd's on itunes without having to put the cd in to find the song?

do you have access to the songs on his PC? Just use a USB Drive and copy them vs CD's. there are shareware apps that will pull the songs off the iPod so you can load them up. I use Sound Taxi to take any songs in iTunes format to common MP3's.

Can he put them on a thumbrive right off of his itunes then load them onto mine?

Yep. Just copy them into your itunes folder where your songs are located then go to the menu and import that folder. Next just Configure iTunes — Go into iTunes Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” and “Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the library” (settings move around a bit between versions of iTunes, but these settings will be there somewhere).

Or you could do the down and dirty way with the ipod and windows:

If you have a Windows formatted iPod, Windows actually treats it as a removable drive, and you can go in and copy the files off if you know where to look.

1. Connect your iPod — Warning! if iTunes loads when you plug in your iPod, and is set to automatically sync your entire library (erasing your iPod), you MUST stop it — hit the little “X” in the upper right hand corner of the window.

2. Open your iPod — It should show up on “My Computer” as a “Mobile Device”; right click and choose “Explore”. Alternatively, go to the Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, and double-click your iPod.

3. Unhide the files — By default, Windows hides hidden files and folders (thus the name). Go to Options (in the Tools menu), and on the View tab, check “Show Hidden Files and Folders”.

4. Find the Music — The music is stored (in current iPods) in the directory “\iPod_Control\Music”. This may have a lot of odd looking stuff in it — it doesn’t matter; select everything and drag and drop them to a folder on your hard drive.

5. Configure iTunes — Go into iTunes Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” and “Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to the library” (settings move around a bit between versions of iTunes, but these settings will be there somewhere).

6. Add Your Files — In iTunes, select File, Add Folder to Library, and select the folder where you copied the files from your iPod. Alternatively, just drag and drop this folder onto iTunes

Once you’ve done that, iTunes should sort out the files from the iPod folder structure, put the artist and album information back from the ID3 tags in the music files, and reorganize the whole thing in the iTunes library folder.

Are they then stored pemanently on itunes? Roughly whats the equation when comparing songs-storage needed?

Yes, they will become part of your library. Storage space.....depends on what quality they were ripped at. 128-160-320, etc.... I have just over 12,000 songs that take up about 75 gigs.

Yeah thats not the level I am at. I am thinking around 1000 songs and thats alot for me. I just wanted to get the right size ipod. I am thinking maybe a 16gig would work just fine.

That will get you along just fine. I had a 20 gig forever and thought I would go huge, but then reality is I create play lists and have maybe 1,200 on my 16 gig iPhone. More than enough. I keep my top most favorites, new songs, background/office music, etc...and works great.

I use TuneAid....works good....its free....only downfall is you have to copy 50 songs at a time.

My son wants to know how to pronounce your screenname. So do I for that matter.

Pretty

Damn

Quick

Grand

Prix

My very first GTP in 97 ran a 14.6 and that was quick back then for a stock four door car. Was at the track when a mustang guy said "That's a pretty damn quick Grand Prix" thus it's been my screen name and license plate (on my GP's) for a long time. My 99 eventually went low 12's.

Here's my 99

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/3465465

and of course my GXP

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/82169357