Hot Rod Power Tour 2011

Buckeye1647545503

So I am in the beginning stages of planing my trip on the HRPT. I am hoping to get others that want to get out and spend a week driving thier car accross the country with something around 4000 other gearheads. It is pretty much a at speed parade from point to point with a party and the end of each day. The route and dates are listed below. If interested I will be booking hotels most likely by the end of Jan. and can help (plus the more together make it safer and sometimes cheaper.) Also this year ends a short drive from home and hits some cool spots (Indy speedway being one (last time I went we got to make laps on the Bristol speedway, I bet indy is the same)

Saturday June 4

Cocoa Beach, FL Port Canaveral

Sunday June 5

Valdosta, GA South Georgia Motorsports Park

Monday June 6

Montgomery, AL Montgomery Motorsports Park

Tuesday June 7

Nashville, TN LP Field

Wednesday June 8

Indianapolis, IN Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Thursday June 9

Muskegon, MI Downtown Muskegon

Friday June 10

Detroit, MI Metro Beach Metropark

Saturday June 11

Detroit, MI Long Haulers Ceremony (Location TBD)

Scott,

Which car would you be driving? I might try to hit either Indy or Detroit. I will either take the 87 vette or the 92 mustang. Yes, I would need to trailer the 69 vette, so it would be out.

I've done several HRPTs and plan to do it this year too. I think I'll take the 08 Z06 this time. It's a HRPT virgin. If they ever plan an all-northern route I'll take the 68. But it is a rolling sauna even in cool weather.

A few things to keep in mind...

-it is 99.9999% American cars...take a look at HRM and you'll get the idea. the occasional jag-with-an-LS-motor shows up but that is rare. I saw a morris minor wagon back in 06 but upon closer inspection...it had an american V6 or something shoe-horned in there. I suppose you could say my 06 GTO was an aussi when I took it on 2 tours. Whatev

-If you don't go to the track events...the rest of the trip is highly repetitive. So, you'd better have friends along and/or plan side trips along the way or you will be bored after a couple days.

-The distances are aggressive...the course takes the scenic route and you will be sharing the road with THOUSANDS of tourers....seriously, at some venues there have been like 5000 cars. Like triple the time you would usually think it would take.

-keep in mind that the 'show' at each venue fires up around 1-2pm and they start shutting down by like 5 or so. LOTS of the participants are retirees and the schedule reflects that. You need to get an early start every day and HAUL to get any kind of time at the event. At some locations they have bands that play after dark but in my experience the crowd is pretty thin and tame. Think local bar band shows. So, hook up with folks and plan your nightly party spot early.

-They are serious about the 'no car left behind' thing. Everyone is really helpful.

-Anyone want to talk to someone who's done it a bunch of times and you have more questions...PM me.

I've done several HRPTs and plan to do it this year too. I think I'll take the 08 Z06 this time. It's a HRPT virgin. If they ever plan an all-northern route I'll take the 68. But it is a rolling sauna even in cool weather.

A few things to keep in mind...

-it is 99.9999% American cars...take a look at HRM and you'll get the idea. the occasional jag-with-an-LS-motor shows up but that is rare. I saw a morris minor wagon back in 06 but upon closer inspection...it had an american V6 or something shoe-horned in there. I suppose you could say my 06 GTO was an aussi when I took it on 2 tours. Whatev

+I saw most every kind of make on the tour yes the mas amount is americian muscle (mostly what the mags reader ship is into) but everything is welcome (hell ther was one guy in a rent a heap kia crap box even)

-If you don't go to the track events...the rest of the trip is highly repetitive. So, you'd better have friends along and/or plan side trips along the way or you will be bored after a couple days.

+ I will be rolling with a friend as a copilot and also withe 20+ cars from anouther forum. Also a few friends are meeting me in nashville as well so plenty of people will be around. As far as boring it is most defanitly for people that enjoy driving and not getting there.

-The distances are aggressive...the course takes the scenic route and you will be sharing the road with THOUSANDS of tourers....seriously, at some venues there have been like 5000 cars. Like triple the time you would usually think it would take.

+ I drive 300 miles a day so I did not find the mileage anything more than the norm but again you must injoy driving. I will be for the first day maybe two doing the follow the leader thing but like the last time we went will be makeing our own path useing as many twisty roads as possable:D

-keep in mind that the 'show' at each venue fires up around 1-2pm and they start shutting down by like 5 or so. LOTS of the participants are retirees and the schedule reflects that. You need to get an early start every day and HAUL to get any kind of time at the event. At some locations they have bands that play after dark but in my experience the crowd is pretty thin and tame. Think local bar band shows. So, hook up with folks and plan your nightly party spot early.

+ The venders area and "show" (except for the dyno challange) is more for the local people as it is the same every day so afther the first few days when you get to see most of the cars (4k car takes a while to look at) then the fun is dinners with newly met friends and smokey fun at the hotels and a cold one one the cars are parked.

-They are serious about the 'no car left behind' thing. Everyone is really helpful.

+Yep I witnessed this as well (luckly not on mine)

-Anyone want to talk to someone who's done it a bunch of times and you have more questions...PM me

Oh also side note If you do want to come please make sure your car can go 75 for a hour please. We had a sweet little mavorick with us last time but a c4 and big gear ment slow cruise speed ALL the time and it got old.

• 2 weeks later...