Need some advice from gun gurus

V8 Beast

My short list of firearms at this point are a .45 Springfeld 1911 and a Colt AR-15. As you know these models are pretty pricey. If trying to be budget conscious what other manufacturs could I look into without losing too much on quality?

There are a billion 1911's out there, and the ones that are poor quality generally don't survive in stores long. Basically, spend your money on what has the options you want, for the price you want. Or at least find what looks good to you then do a half hour of research on it.

As for AR's, its kind of the same deal. Colts are very pricey, and some of their models use non standard size roll pins to hold everything together in the lower. They were trying to make it so that you couldn't use mil spec parts in civilian guns but all the other manufacturer's ignored the idea. I don't see any reason to buy a Colt. Once again, look around for what has the options you like for the price you want, or you can go the build it yourself route. If this is the case, pick up a bare receiver wherever, a good lower parts kit, a nice stock, and figure out what style upper you want.

I've been shooting enough recently to where I blistered my hands. The AR-15 would be for target practice and I saw it in a zombie movie and just had to have it ;) The 1911 is for home protection.

I actually like the colt. I saw a few other models but there are so many and so many different opinions that I stayed with the colt since that one seems to be mentioned and typically gets good reviews. This is more of a point me in the right direction thread to streamline the education process. When you have 100 to chose from and stores only carry so much you can't get a feel before buying.

For 550 I may take you up on that come February. Roughly how many rounds have gone through it?

too many good AR15 platform companies out there to even consider buying a Colt.

Colt got the manufacturing rights from Armalite.

Bushmaster,CMMG,DSC,DPMS,RRA,Ruger,S&W,Stag are the less expensive.

Thanks for the names! The S&W, and Bushmaster I saw were pretty expensive too.

Scott, I'll shot you a pm in late February if I decide to get one.

Even the less expensive AR15 can be expensive depending upon how they're optioned out. Grips,sights,scopes all determine the end cost.

CMMG(from what I've gathered/heard is a company that assembles finished ARs' with parts from various sources) and DPMS are probably the two least expensive in the basic platform arena.

The company that owns DPMS also owns Remington,Marlin,H&R,Bushmaster,& Dakota.

I am in the camp that upper and lower receivers don't matter enough to spend a lot of money on. It is hard to mess those up, and my stag'ed upper and lower rifle has been a great first time purchase, learn about the AR platform. Has seen a shit ton of ammo go through it. But I also can't get rid of the buy cheapest get junk thinking also. So I stayed away from the absolute cheapest route you can go with.

Just my own experience

I bought a basic AR from cr member jjjxlr8 and it's been a great gun for me. The lower is a Sharps Rifle Company and the upper is a DPMS with a .223/5.56 barrel, and I paid in the mid to upper $600 range. I've used it for target shooting and Coyote hunting and it hasn't failed on me yet.