House is abnormally cold all of a sudden, help?

Diamonds

:)

Depends if you have a flat style filter or the big box style filters.

3267 + ~1800 of unfinished basement (and another ~600 of crawl space), but we keep all the basement vents shut off. 1/2 the 1st floor is also 18' ceilings, so I'm sure that doesn't help either. 1.5 year old 5 ton heat pump with all new lines/condensor using Puron (I guess that is the "green" refrigerant - never heard of it before getting the new heat pump). Still just feels like a lot of money to heat a newer home, especially when my summer bill is usually high 100's to low 200's.

We were talking Utility bills today, my parents' house is a custom 4500 sq ft house built in 1996 with the largest heat pump money can buy and their electric bills is in the $600's monthly in the winter

3267 + ~1800 of unfinished basement (and another ~600 of crawl space), but we keep all the basement vents shut off. 1/2 the 1st floor is also 18' ceilings, so I'm sure that doesn't help either. 1.5 year old 5 ton heat pump with all new lines/condensor using Puron (I guess that is the "green" refrigerant - never heard of it before getting the new heat pump). Still just feels like a lot of money to heat a newer home, especially when my summer bill is usually high 100's to low 200's.

We have 2,800 plus 1,400 more in a finished lower level and we have yet to get a $200 monthly. Same 18' ceilings in the great room and master bedroom. We heat with gas. My bet is your windows and doors are not the most efficient. All of our windows, storm doors and entry doors have been replaced. Yours likely needs more insulation somewhere too. I threw another layer over the blown in stuff in the attic areas and anywhere I had access too. We keep the furnace at 72.

We have 2,800 plus 1,400 more in a finished lower level and we have yet to get a $200 monthly. Same 18' ceilings in the great room and master bedroom. We heat with gas. My bet is your windows and doors are not the most efficient. All of our windows, storm doors and entry doors have been replaced. Yours likely needs more insulation somewhere too. I threw another layer over the blown in stuff in the attic areas and anywhere I had access too. We keep the furnace at 72.

Do you mean just a $200 gas bill? Because that is really low if it is for both the gas and electric bill! Hell, even with a month of not using heat/AC at all, ours electric is still around $140-150.

We just got this past months bill. Looks like they may have under estimated last month's (normally they do meter readings every month, but not last month) - $520 bill. Fuck me.

Do you mean just a $200 gas bill? Because that is really low if it is for both the gas and electric bill! Hell, even with a month of not using heat/AC at all, ours electric is still around $140-150.

We just got this past months bill. Looks like they may have under estimated last month's (normally they do meter readings every month, but not last month) - $520 bill. Fuck me.

Both. Gas last month was $86 and Electric $115. During the fall our electric bill is like $35.

I just tt. the wife and she's estimates it will go up a about $50-$75 next month due to the really cold temps. SHe would know as she pays the bills.

Edit....I just re-read truckin's post.....about the same dollars. Joe, I think your house needs some Pink Panther love if you're paying $520 combined. I mean your house isn't that much larger and our lower level is used all the time and kept warm.

Edit....I just re-read truckin's post.....about the same dollars. Joe, I think your house needs some Pink Panther love if you're paying $520 combined. I mean your house isn't that much larger and our lower level is used all the time and kept warm.

Mine isn't "combined" as mine is all electric.