Manufacturing in the US

Hwilli1647545487

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first day at honda of america mfg was today. i was amazed to see that they make nearly everything there in the factory. I watched blocks get made from ingots of aluminum all the way to how the engines are assembled. 8000+ engines roll off the mfg/assembly line every shift (8 hours). It was badass... we need more of this going on in america

I think will still have the capacity to produce all the important things we need. I dont think until something catastrophic happens will we do it. But getting rid of unions would be a good fucking start.

Part 2. We should have the technology to produce with less impact on the environment already but its so much cheaper to destroy and pollute the world.

my first day at honda of america mfg was today. i was amazed to see that they make nearly everything there in the factory. I watched blocks get made from ingots of aluminum all the way to how the engines are assembled. 8000+ engines roll off the mfg/assembly line every shift (8 hours). It was badass... we need more of this going on in america

in Russells Point?

Two part question.

1. How do we bring manufacturing back to the United States?

2. Do we even want to considering the effect it would have on both pricing and the environment.

You bring up really good questions here. It is commonly accepted that we do not manufacture enough and that is part of the downfall of the US.

It could be argued that we should get rid of ALL manufacturing.

If we were to bring back manufacturing I would like to see advances in renewable energy development and production as well as healthy food production.

I feel that we should focus on sustainable production and elimination of pollution.

I think will still have the capacity to produce all the important things we need. I dont think until something catastrophic happens will we do it. But getting rid of unions would be a good fucking start.

Part 2. We should have the technology to produce with less impact on the environment already but its so much cheaper to destroy and pollute the world.

I honestly do not understand any of this.

• Confused 1

We should have the technology to produce with less impact on the environment already but its so much cheaper to destroy and pollute the world.

you'd be surprised just how cheap "green manufacturing" actually is....it s pretty often cheaper than wasteful landfilling

Two part question.

1. How do we bring manufacturing back to the United States?

2. Do we even want to considering the effect it would have on both pricing and the environment.

Not an easy set of questions to answer but I'll lead off with my opinions.

1. US companies need to automate and increase efficiencies. I work for a company that produces thousands of small medical devices per day per location and 100% of our products are made in our five US Based labs. The competition is made in Mexico and over in China. We compete just fine.

2. Taxes need to be leveled and an equal financial playing field set. I'm no expert on the matter but have talked with enough people who know more and have read up on it all a bit and the power to adjusts costs through tax controls is there. We just need the right team in Washington to make this effort a major priority.

Eliminate Nafta. Impose a tariff on all imported garbage from China, India, Mexico, etc. Require other nations to buy U.S. made goods if they want to continue to sell to the U.S. We are their (China, India, etc.) biggest customer, so I feel we should at least try and force this. Also, as unrealistic as it may be, getting rid of WalMart (aka China World) would be a huge help. After spending countless hours in the last few years making return trips to exchange faulty China-made crap, I have come to the realization that any money saved initially was spent in gas on the return trip. I would much rather pay a higher price for goods that would last. Edited by TA In Progress
Spelling/Addition

Good points above...

1) We have the manufacturing capacity, but not the economic incentive. Reduce unemployment benefits to incentivize Americans to work good jobs for good wages.

2)Reduce/eliminate the Union hold on most manual-labor and manufacturing positions. Unions were established at a time when companies railroaded the American worker. Don't worry...lawyers will cover Americans and their trampled rights just fine when the opportunity presents itself.

3)Geopolitical or socioeconomic cataclysm...something that makes building products for Americans (and the world) from China unprofitable or hazardous to our citizens as consumers.

Good points above...

1) We have the manufacturing capacity, but not the economic incentive. Reduce unemployment benefits to incentivize Americans to work good jobs for good wages.

2)Reduce/eliminate the Union hold on most manual-labor and manufacturing positions. Unions were established at a time when companies railroaded the American worker. Don't worry...lawyers will cover Americans and their trampled rights just fine when the opportunity presents itself.

3)Geopolitical or socioeconomic cataclysm...something that makes building products for Americans (and the world) from China unprofitable or hazardous to our citizens as consumers.

MONGO SAY CLAY SMART MAN WITH PRETTY WORDS.

Pretty much everybody is correct in this thread but slowbalt.

Let me ask you this.. why bring manufacturing back to the US? If you are talking about jobs and bringing money back to the US, I can name one cash crop that would probably provide more jobs and money for the government than manufacturing jobs would, if only it were legalized.
  • Confused 1

Get rid or people that doesn't contribute to this country. Have some pride and buy American made products. Getting rid of walmart will help... lol

The irony between your comment and your signature is funny and yet sad. :( Further Irony shed when you then look at mine as the domestic Ford was assembled in Mexico :rolleyes:

1. Free trade is good. It is the number 1 component that can possibly bring any sense of world peace. I believe we should be leaders in information technology, financial management, new/emerging technologies, and freedom....but not manufacturing. Globalization has greatly increased the life of the average human being. People who hark back to the "good ol days" either weren't alive to experience them, or are using rose colored glasses. The US does lead the world by a large margin in food production, which is very important manufacturing sector, perhaps the most important.

2. As far as pricing goes, what good are these factory jobs going to do for the workers, when their cost of living increases at or above the rate of their pay?

Overall, I say look to the future, not a past that wasn't so great anyways. Also, economic interdependence is one of the only sure fire, proven paths to peace between different societies.

The US does lead the world by a large margin in food production, which is very important manufacturing sector, perhaps the most important.

I'll try and see if I can find proof in that the next time I'm at the grocery store. I swear this past week, I saw more foreign company stickers on produce than I've seen in a long time. Not doubting your point, but to see tangerines from Spain, Bananas from Portugal and Berries from Mexico.....meh.....I couldn't buy them.

1. Free trade is good. It is the number 1 component that can possibly bring any sense of world peace. I believe we should be leaders in information technology, financial management, new/emerging technologies, and freedom....but not manufacturing. Globalization has greatly increased the life of the average human being. People who hark back to the "good ol days" either weren't alive to experience them, or are using rose colored glasses. The US does lead the world by a large margin in food production, which is very important manufacturing sector, perhaps the most important.

2. As far as pricing goes, what good are these factory jobs going to do for the workers, when their cost of living increases at or above the rate of their pay?

Overall, I say look to the future, not a past that wasn't so great anyways. Also, economic interdependence is one of the only sure fire, proven paths to peace between different societies.

Yeah, globalization of manufacturing is great, just ask the 1,000's of people who no longer have a job because of it. I guess they could just step right into an IT or finance job though, right? I guess I'd like to be able to purchase quality items made by the people of my own country rather than absolute trash made in a third world country because it cost $1.20 less.

Yeah, globalization of manufacturing is great, just ask the 1,000's of people who no longer have a job because of it. I guess they could just step right into an IT or finance job though, right? I guess I'd like to be able to purchase quality items made by the people of my own country rather than absolute trash made in a third world country because it cost $1.20 less.

Unions... thank them.

You bring up really good questions here. It is commonly accepted that we do not manufacture enough and that is part of the downfall of the US.

It could be argued that we should get rid of ALL manufacturing.

If we were to bring back manufacturing I would like to see advances in renewable energy development and production as well as healthy food production.

I feel that we should focus on sustainable production and elimination of pollution.

I honestly do not understand any of this.

I am not sure you answered either of the OP's questions. After you read them read my answers and feel free to answer the questions.

Part one of my statement. We (meaning the united states) have the capacity as a nation to manufacture everything we outsource all over the world.

Part two of my statement. I dont think we (see above definition) will start doing that again until something catastrophic (meaning-economic colapse or insert horrible event) happens.

Part three. (Hope your keeping up) Getting rid of union based manufacturing labor WILL have a extremely positive impact on our (united states) manufacturing capacity. We could be globally competitive in terms of production as well as labor rates.

Part four. We have the technology to produce with little to no impact on the environment. But......we choose to cut corners build inefficient plants and pollute our very important environment.

Unions were ripe to be ripped.

Globalization and it's billions of people needing worked ripped them to bits.

Game over.....

The question isn't how to bring manufacturing "back" to the US, it's how do Americans get valuable enough to the world economy to maintain the lifestyle they want (just like everyone else). We need to suck it up. Services, technical innovation, manufacturing that's not solvable by global skill level labor...whatever... it's a problem to be solved. Blaming someone / some group for globalization is emotion based nonsense. Other people are willing to put the bolt in the hole cheaper and now they can. Switcheroo!

I am not sure you answered either of the OP's questions. After you read them read my answers and feel free to answer the questions.

Part one of my statement. We (meaning the united states) have the capacity as a nation to manufacture everything we outsource all over the world.

Part two of my statement. I dont think we (see above definition) will start doing that again until something catastrophic (meaning-economic colapse or insert horrible event) happens.

Part three. (Hope your keeping up) Getting rid of union based manufacturing labor WILL have a extremely positive impact on our (united states) manufacturing capacity. We could be globally competitive in terms of production as well as labor rates.

Mostly agreed! I don't know how we'd be competitive on labor rates though? Do you have good resources on this to share, I'd like to hear about the rationale / data etc...

This touches a bit on what he's talking about. You'd like to. We'd all like to, but if we all did, then we'd still be able to. Think about it. ;)

Your statements, like so many others, would have us believe that nobody here buys foreign. Guess what, somebody is or companies wouldn't sell/use foreign shit. So, thanks partly to shitty unions and/or union workers, in the free market that everyone who lives in the USA agrees to, gave their jobs up to cheaper more effecient labor. Combine this with "budget" cutbacks on product manufacuturing and supplies and quality suffers. Then you have overpaid CEO's, miappropriated funds, etc etc etc etc. Every facet of the system is flawed and things are the way they are. Also, I know you buy foreign. IT's not your fault. As I said, things 'so are the way they are', you can't help it. They're too far gone, so embrace the future. And our future maybe better spent on what he's mentioned in his post above.

I may've tried to jam way too much info in too short of a post so, I apologize if Im not entirely clear with my thoughts.