ar or ak...or should they even be in the same sentance

TurboRust

What are you going to use it for?

If accuracy is important, go for the AR15 (5.56x45), or possibly the AK74(5.45x39). The AK47 rifles chambered in 7.62x39 are a little less accurate.

Provided your AKM rifle has the scope base on the left side of the receiver, you can easily mount an optic.

Edit:

If you go with a Kalashinikov, look for one with an optic mount base plate like this...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AK74/IMG_0312.jpg

Then you can go to the Kalinka optics site and order an appropriate optic. The mounts are often built into the optic and slide over the base and then clamp in place. This one is offset to the left so you can still use the iron sights with the scope installed.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AK74/IMG_0320.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AK74/IMG_0322.jpg

or you can find just mounts with rails that will allow you to attach other optics. This one is a little high for cheek weld but allows you to use the iron sights without removing.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AK74/IMG_1100.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AK74/IMG_1099.jpg

I love my Arsenal AK. I can't even remember how long I've had it and never once has it misfired. But that being said I don't think it is even remotely in the same class as a decent AR (maybe a bottom of the line shitty one). The accuracy is decent, no scope mounts, but it is a blast to shoot. And hell, I bought it new for $300.

AK74 rifles are more accurate than the AK47 rifles - and MUCH cheaper to shoot! 5.45x39 suprlus ammo is very inexpensive right now at about $0.12/ round. Cheap ammo = more practice = better shooting.

I'd still go for the AR15 if I had to choose between the two, even though ammo is quite a bit more expensive at $0.30+/round.

why would you want to put a scope on a 6MOA rifle? Are your eyes really that bad haha?

An AR is a much better platform to mount a scope on, and more accurate ammo isn't very expensive. If you want a 2-3 MOA rifle, get an AR. If you want a 6 MOA rifle, get an AK.

Be advised if you get a 5.45mm AK or AR, the surplus ammo is corrosive so be prepared to clean right after EVERY session. Not just lube, or pull a snake through the bore... but CLEAN. That means water through the barrel, gas tube, bolt, dry and relube.

If you are looking at AKs, I held a WASR-10 not long ago and hated the feel of it. Everything sucked on the gun. Safety was a bitch to move, action sucked in general, felt small and awkward. Other AKs may feel a bit better but I hated that gun, and I could have bought it on the spot too.

I just hate all AK pistol grips. They all feel so shitty.

why would you want to put a scope on a 6MOA rifle? Are your eyes really that bad haha?

An AR is a much better platform to mount a scope on, and more accurate ammo isn't very expensive. If you want a 2-3 MOA rifle, get an AR. If you want a 6 MOA rifle, get an AK.

Be advised if you get a 5.45mm AK or AR, the surplus ammo is corrosive so be prepared to clean right after EVERY session. Not just lube, or pull a snake through the bore... but CLEAN. That means water through the barrel, gas tube, bolt, dry and relube.

I'm a rifle newb sorry

I'm a rifle newb sorry

Well, corrosive ammo is a good way to make fun into work. It's not a big deal, you just have to commit to cleaning your rifle after shooting it or you'll have rust and corrosion/pitting. If you just want something that goes bang and puts holes in stuff, you might want a .22. You can shoot a whole lot more, it's much safer without eye/ear pro, and you'll save tons of money. Still fun though.

The AK74 is much better than a 6MOA rifle and can take advantage of a 4x optic. I'd say the AK74 is more like 3 MOA.

The AK47 is more like 4-6MOA, depending on whether it's a factory built gun or something was was built from a parts kit here in the USA.

Keep in mind that even "non-corrosive" powder residue can absorb/trap moisture from the air and cause corrosion.

"Corrosive ammo" simply means that potassium chlorate is used as the oxidizing agent in the primer compound. During combustion, potassium chloride is produced and left in the barrel and gas system. Potassium chloride attracts water (just like sodium chloride) and the water causes corrosion.

There is nothing wrong with shooting "corrosive" ammo, unless you're lazy and don't take care of your toys. :)

Do you change the oil in your car at the required intervals? If not, you should.

Do you clean your firearm after every range trip? If not you should.

I am starting to unsubscribe from that notion, partly from doing more that just once every six month shooting, and party because after not having the opportunity to clean it after every firing and it still shoots the same I think it is that mall ninja mentality that guns are magic and need extra care that regular tools.

Boresnake, few drops of lube and resling (sometimes not even that)

The key is how/where you store your dirty firearm after shooting. If you live in an arid climate you can shoot all the corrosive ammo you want and not clean it and probably not have any corrosion issues.

If you store your dirty rifle in an environment with more than ~60% humidty, you are asking for problems. No magic, just physics and chemistry. :)

i have no problem cleaning it, but just the same, i dont shoot tulo ammo through my glock I dont need to be cheap about ammo. I've got a .22, yeah its cheap to shoot, and no fun.

i shot an ak and an ar this weekend, two completely different gun designs so it was hard for me to compare them

ak-full stock with a scope

ar-teloscoping stock no scope.

all this, mind you, shooting at 40ish ft, just to get a feel for each one, and it did nothing but confuse me more. lol

You won't be disappointed with an AR15. They are reliable as long as you keep the bolt carrier lubed and they are accurate shooters with low recoil. Non corrosive 5.56x45 ammo is readily available and is likely to be available into the foreseeable future. Also, the market is flooded with inexpensive AR15 rifles right now so it's a good time to buy.

The Kalashnikov rifles are great at what they are designed for. They will take much more abuse and neglect than an AR15 and still work reliably. This probably isn't very important outside of a battlefield, however.

You won't get groups like this with any Kalashnikov but it's fairly easy with an AR15. I shot this 5 round group in the summer with an inexpensive 16" Del-ton rifle with no upgrades and surplus Portuguese 55 gr. ammo. It was only at 50 yds. but it's still satisfying to be able to easily shoot tight groups like this. Shooting golf ball size targets at 100yds is certainly possible with an AR15 and good ammo.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/AR15/FiveShots_July2010_M4_50yds.jpg

There is nothing wrong with shooting "corrosive" ammo, unless you're lazy and don't take care of your toys. :)

Do you change the oil in your car at the required intervals? If not, you should.

Look, this is me laughing. I don't wash my cars after ever commute, nor do I clean all my guns after every session. The corrosive ammo ESPECIALLY the 5.45 surplus will rust a bolt shut after burning up a few hundred rounds if left uncleaned for a month or two. Sure, you can mitigate this by shooting a few non-corrosive rounds afterwards to blow out some of the funk, but next time you get your rifle out and see scaly rust on the working parts you may feel differently.

I can find you a number of totally off-the shelf AR15s that have gone thousands of rounds without cleaning, and suffered no loss of accuracy, reliability, etc. No, it's not magic- it's called not buying junk.

Also, you might find an AK74 that will shoot 3-4 MOA, you might even find a handful. They're a 6 MOA system and there's no way around that. Just like the AR15 is a 3 MOA system. Don't turn shooting into a chore by having to strip and dunk your shit, unless you really want to save the money.

Also, have a look at AK74 mag prices vs AR mag prices.

You clean your guns with water?