Disputing the value of my house.

V8 Beast

So in checking out the Franklin County Auditors website I found that the information they have about my house is wrong. Somewhere over the past 2 years we gained an extra bedroom :confused:. Has anyone had to dispute the value of their house? Currently ours is valued at $193,000 and it should be in the 180's if not 170's. I'm going to head up there and see if they can change it without all the extra paperwork since they made a mistake.

Yes, it's pretty common actually, even here on CR. SEARCH!!! lol, no but seriously there is info on how/what to do on the auditors website. With the way the economy has been quite a few people have taken 'advantage' of their house losing value....

Yes, it's pretty common actually, even here on CR. SEARCH!!! lol, no but seriously there is info on how/what to do on the auditors website. With the way the economy has been quite a few people have taken 'advantage' of their house losing value....

This.

You will basically need to dispute the value and provide evidence. You can calculate the proper sqft, provide blue prints or building plans and submit to the county auditor. Lots and lots of people are doing this and having the value of their home decreased to save on their taxes.

Keep in mind that if you plan to refinance anytime soon, this may affect your purchasing power as the home will be worth less and your LTV will increase.

-Marc

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73462&highlight=auditor

super easy, for me at least...i had 2 appraisal and my closing statements since i just bought my house 9 months prior...it showed they appraised it at 75k and 80k and i bought it at 78k, but the auditor previously had it listed at $117,300...the earlier you do it in the year, the sooner it gets done. they told me to send mine in 1st of the year. i think they only take them through march 31

with mine, i mailed in everything on 12/31 and it wasnt approved/finalized/whatever until 4/21, but i got a check back for about $900

you'll need to get it appraised (or have a recent one, and/or closing statement), check recent comps in your neighborhood and get everything sent in.

bedrooms dont matter either. and she said if you want to have it done higher due to improvements (additions, new roof, MAJOR repairs, etc) you can...i told her that i turned mine from a 3br to a 2br and she said not to worry about listing that...i asked about the new ~400 sq/ft of patio i had put in, she said not to worry about that either and that theyd catch it when the plane does the aerial survey every 5 years or whatever it was, and would add it on then. lol

^^ This. Been there done that last year. No fuss, they took everything I provided and adjusted the value. Over the past few years, the value on the auditors site is low compared to what it really is worth, and I wanted to keep the shift / trend downward in my favor. IMO, what's going to sell our house are the upgrades and lot.

I know how to do it guys, that took 30 seconds with a google search 5 days ago :lol: I was asking if anyone else did it to start a convo about your experiences and if you saved any money doing it. They have my square footage too high and more bedrooms listed than I actually have. I'm guessing they mixed me up with one of my neighbors during an update.

I know how to do it guys, that took 30 seconds with a google search 5 days ago :lol: I was asking if anyone else did it to start a convo about your experiences and if you saved any money doing it. They have my square footage too high and more bedrooms listed than I actually have. I'm guessing they mixed me up with one of my neighbors during an update.

ill just condense mine for you then :lol:

super easy, for me

i got a check back for about $900

but my taxes would have been ~2600 for 2010 and they got dropped to 1750 or so

bedrooms dont matter either. and she said if you want to have it done higher due to improvements (additions, new roof, MAJOR repairs, etc) you can...i told her that i turned mine from a 3br to a 2br and she said not to worry about listing that...i asked about the new ~400 sq/ft of patio i had put in, she said not to worry about that either and that theyd catch it when the plane does the aerial survey every 5 years or whatever it was, and would add it on then. lol

I would not believe her at all. I had to formally contest mine. In order for me to get my house insured I had to remove a porch and a 3rd car spot attached to the garage (originally a detached 1 car that was connected by adding a 2 car attached). I did not know about contesting until last year. After having lived in my house for over 5 years they had not adjusted it. I called in and they took care of it over the phone because their pictures (on the auditors website) showed it there then it laying in pieces and then it gone. I still need to contest the number of bedrooms. A house with 3 bedrooms falls into a completely different group of comps then a 2 bedroom and will affect value.

Edited by 00TypeR
Changed for clarification

Like i said, she told me not to list it...why would i lie about somethjng like that? maybe she just figured theyd get it when the county reappraises it in the next few years

and BC, i was just fucking with you. lol

I am not calling you a liar. I am telling you if you want it added, from personal experience I would do it formally. It is no skin of my back either way just recounting personal experience.