Mid run shut down - Advice?

max power

Ok, heres the short story: :D

I got the bike out yesterday for a bath and decided after a pre-season check and test ride around town, to take my kid for a ride and get some dinner. We took a nice loop out thru carroll to go to Kingys and the bike ran great right up until it died about 10 miles out. It had a full tank of fresh gas on top of a 1/4 tank that had been treated before winter. We were going about 60 after accellerating slightly up a small hill and when I let off the throttle, it just died. I tried to bump start as it was coasting, but no dice. we pulled over and I got off and checked it out as best I could on the side of the road and found nothing. Tried to start and it turns over fine, but doesnt start. Got the truck and trailered it home and tore into it. It has no spark. I thought, "coil", but it has 4 separate coils and no spark from any of em.

Haven't had time to search further. Any ideas?

The first thing I did was check that the kill switch was in the correct position. No oil on the plugs, no corrosion, you could eat off this thing.

I charged the battery overnight and it started and ran this afternoon. (Could that be the problem? I dunno. Cranked forever like it had a full charge and the lights were bright last night.) I shut it off to do some minor carb adjustment and it wouldn't start again.

what about the main coil have spark there. also check the clutch switch. My katana did stuff like that. Would start some times and sometimes nothing turns out my clutch sensor had gone bad.

I has 4 coils. One for each cylinder. none had spark.

Remember, it started today after a full charge. I'm thinking its electrical because it had no spark anywhere yesterday and started right up today, then wouldnt run. Whatever it is, its intermittent.

I'm thinking it might be the battery at this point, but not sure. Could the battery cause it to shut down mid run, yet still have plenty of juice to turn the motor over many times and still have bright lights?

Edited by max power

You got a manual, at least a wire diagram? My 78 has power go through this order, that is easy to follow..

battery, fuse, ignition switch, kill switch, coils.

Thats an old bike, with points, but you should still have +12V to the coils. Couldn't tell you for sure without seeing a diagram though.

Check your fuses, I've seen them work loose. If from there you may have a bad kickstand switch, but if you said it starts with or without stand down, then probably not. Maybe a bad solder joint in the TCI box?

Best bet is to get a diagram and a test light or volt meter...

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet it would run fine at least down to 10V. And that being said, I highly doubt it'd die while riding unless it wasnt charging. And if that were the case you'd known. It'd been running wierd first, not just died. Wouldnt have turned over. And the headlight wouldnt have worked. But thats just my guess...

I still think you got a loose connection somewhere, or a bad TCI box.

You said its an 06, is there any kind of warrenty? Maybe you're wasting your time. drop it off at the dealership and let it be their problem.