help me pick an sho replacement

TurboRust

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely, but i'm building a race car, just need a fun daily.. i'm getting mildly depressed looking for cars, I think I might start to explore my fetish for having a slammed diesel truck

That is like saying you want an ugly Asian chick....

http://images.craigslist.org/3oc3p83l25T45W05U5b1h4beda445f8a21493.jpg

may go drive tomorrow..hehe

Is it diesel?

Well, I didn't really want to say anything until you post the pic of the truck. I was going to recomment a Tacoma 4x4. Those thing are rock solid and the resale value are extremely good.

Say I've got about 13k to spend, like to stay under 60k, what's your pick..here's a small list far. All of these would be manuals, and some might be a stretch for my money

05ish Altima 3.5

05ish maxima 3.5(hard to find)

Mazdaspeed 3

Legacy gt

02-03 3.2 tl type s

Saab 9-3 aero

Discuss

3.5 Altima +1

LGT +2

MS3 -1

Someone else will have to chime in on that. I haven't heard of them being bad, but I also have never went looking for info on them as I have not owned one. The Early WRX 5 speed was a joke I read. I never had anything go wrong with my Stage 2 02 WRX 5sp. I just knew not to do a 6k clutch drop in first and second.

02.5 and up wrx's have a anti clutch drop dealio on them . The 5 speed in the 2002 - early 2003 WRX's is a POS. After that they increased the gear size by 1 or 2mm I can't remeber.

The 5 speed like any transmission does not take kindly to ABUSE. The sti six speed on the other hand was forged by the hand of god. lol

Can you handle torque steer, Derek? I drove my buddies nearly stock 2008 Speed3, and people aren't kidding, it'll pull you into a ditch if you're not careful.

:wtf: by careful you mean launch the car properly? IMO, have your buddy turn off the safety systems. What he's likely experiencing is the torque mgt and traction systems kicking in. You have to do more than push the button, hold it then start the car. PM for details. Do that and you'll still need to launch it properly or you're tires will spin up into mid 3rd gear and then some. Especially on a cold day like today. I think that's why so many of the car mags will talk about Torque Steer and then pull low 14's. Launch it right and you'll pull high 13's without issue. Still won't be a pretty launch though.

Edited by TTQ B4U

MS3 -1

:confused:

The downside to the MS3 for me as a DD'er is that it's super stiff and if you're looking for a forgiving ride on Ohio roads, it's tough to handle for more than an hour at a time. I love mine regardless. Took her out today warmed her up and let's just say cleared out the carbons. Handles great and is a fun as hell daily. MS6 is the same motor but on a heavier AWD platform. They do both have very picky clutches. The catch point is more on-off than forgiving like say a Honda system. For those not used to it, it's easy to drive hard, hard to drive slow. Like anything you get the hang of it though.

:wtf: by careful you mean launch the car properly? IMO, have your buddy turn off the safety systems. What he's likely experiencing is the torque mgt and traction systems kicking in. You have to do more than push the button, hold it then start the car. PM for details. Do that and you'll still need to launch it properly or you're tires will spin up into mid 3rd gear and then some.

FWD LOL

FWD LOL

:o yep....but thankfully I don't typically worry about flogging my daily off the light. 3rd 4th and 5th are hella lot of fun. I had newer style Charger R/T find out the hard way that he's driving a boat. They still need more power to even come close. :cool: It was a good attempt though.

:o yep....but thankfully I don't typically worry about flogging my daily off the light. 3rd 4th and 5th are hella lot of fun. I had newer style Charger R/T find out the hard way that he's driving a boat. They still need more power to even come close. :cool: It was a good attempt though.

This is what I've found whenever I drive my dad's MS3. Shift almost as soon as I take off, then drop the hammer in 3rd gear. Driving his car is what really has me leaning toward a Mazdaspeed6 (once I get a real job), but I have yet to drive the Speed6 to see how the added weight affects it.

Just love the fact that I don't have to downshift to pass on the highway. I love my Miata, but I don't love having to redline just to get around slowpokes on the highway.