Any dog breeders here?

silverhatch

We bought a male puppy before Thanksgiving and fell in love with the breed. We are going tonight to pick up a female. Both are AKC registered.

What are your vet bills like for the female, puppies?

Any other tips we should know about before we consider this?

Thanks!!

We bought a male puppy before Thanksgiving and fell in love with the breed. We are going tonight to pick up a female. Both are AKC registered.

What are your vet bills like for the female, puppies?

Any other tips we should know about before we consider this?

Thanks!!

Spaying is typically more expensive than neutering. Pet Solutions offers these services at an EXTREMELY low cost in comparison to most vets. Rascal Unit is also very good and very inexpensive.

http://www.petsolutionsofcolumbus.com/index.htm

http://www.petsolutionsofcolumbus.com/index.htm

Also, get them obedience trained. Enroll in NK9 puppy preschool.

My $.02

We won't be spaying or neutering since are going to plan on breeding them. We have a vet we use for our male. I was wondering how many times the female would need to be seen by the vet while expecting, that sort of thing, from someone who breeds their dogs.

This seem like a very last minute decision to get into breeding, IMO.

That being said, how many times do you plan to breed her? Will you be neutering the boy? A cycle, "heat", will last around 2-3 weeks. and happens about every 6-8 months.

2-3 litters was all we did for our girls when we bred pits (this was about 10 years ago) and we ALWAYS waited for her second heat before breeding.

What kind of contracts do you want for the puppies. Do you want spay/neuter contracts, do you want to require finishing for the dogs.

Are you breeding the two you are adopting together? How will you handle the separation of the parents while she's pregnant, or after she has the babies?

One issue i came across was that the male in our house didnt like the puppies, and tried to get at them, any time he could. My family also bred dachsunds, and the mom was HORRIBLY aggressive to anyone who tried to get near her puppies.

I cant talk about the costs of vent for pregnancy, because it was so long ago, but we didnt go that often. They arent pregnant very long

At this point, i would really suggest contacting the breeder you are buying from and asking them a lot of questions.

This website seems to have some good info, but appears to be about 5+ years old.

Does have some good follow through reading on the birthing process.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_care_of_the_pregnant_dog.html

This one seems pretty decent as well.

http://www.dog-spoiling-made-easy.com/care-of-pregnant-dog.html

Make sure you know what you're getting into before you get into it. It's a very time consuming and annoying task. My ex and I bred one litter of Pembroke Corgi pups, it was a litter of 8. I would never do it again.

Cost really depends on how you do it, and what breed it is. We got our girl an ultrasound so we knew how many puppies to expect. If you're not experienced this helps b/c if one is stuck it can be fatal to the mother and puppy. Tails docked, dew claws removed, shots, shots, and more shots. Shots usually aren't the most expensive part, but the rest can be expensive unless you do it a very inhumane way, IMO.

Make sure you have a lot of room and have a good system to clean everything. I really didn't find a decent system until the last couple weeks (We kept them in a round pin, zip tied a tarp to the bottom and filled it with horse bedding, so we could easily clean it out). One suggestion, get them pregnant in the winter or near the end of winter so you don't have to keep the pups in the house all the time.

We sold most of the pups for $600 each, while each cost probably $200-300 to take care of before we could sell them. Not much of a profit, unless you enjoy doing it. I definitely don't see myself doing it again.

Thanks for the info Verse and Trish. Trish- I wouldn't say it's last minute since the puppy we are picking up is only 8 weeks old, plenty of time to consider our options and think about this before she would be ready to have any pups. I would say at least at year to 18 months. If nothing else, we will have 2 great pets that we will love. He definately needs a companion because he is driving our older cats crazy. I hadn't thought about how to keep them apart when needed. Good tip. I'm not really particular on the type of contract. I have seen that some breeders are charging more for puppies if they plan on being bred instead of being spayed or neutered. I would only plan on breeding her every other cycle probably.

The breed we have is a small breed of dog. The puppies should require a little less room to run but we have space.

The breeder we bought our male off of had that in the contract. The breeder we are buying the female from did not. I guess I will have to consider this as well.

Thanks for all the great input. I really appreciate it. I wanted to get a few first hand examples from people who have done this before. First and foremost we are buying a companion for our dog but we would like to keep the option open for this in the future. I felt he needed to have another dog in the house. Our cats are pretty old 2 12 year old cats and 1 10 year old cat and they aren't up to the energy level the puppy brings to the house.

Another small note to keep In mind, do you want potential owners to relinquish the pet back to you if you they no longer can keep the dog

I also had contracts written for our pups that we sold. I still occasionally talk to the owners to see how the dogs are doing. There is definitely no way I could fit all of them in the house now, lol

Shih-tsu.

We have the female now and she is doing very well. It's actually been easier housetraining her than the male.

The boy will be harder to train especially when the girl comes in heat. He will start marking. Our males wear belly bands so they don't mark on anything. That breed is pretty straight forward I think. No tail docking or history of needing c-section like english bulldogs and sometimes pugs. Are you going to remove the dew claws? If so, you or vet doing it?