02 Bravada issues

wnaplay1647545503

car is an 02 bravada 200k+ mileage. Vortec v6 engine.

Driving the other day and I notice a little rough idle when at a stop. I drive it a little agressively thinking maybe rough gas or carbon build-up. I dont notice it while stopping for the next 10mins while I make my way home. I go to drive it today and it feels very underpowered(really on freeway) and appears to be excessively using fuel. Why set on cruise control it appeared to be working harder than I remember in the past. I pull 8 codes ranging from misfire, to high fan(cant remember the rest of this code) and a few codes I believe are associated with cat converters. So I replace the camshaft position sensor and I dont notice the idle issue during test drive(not at freeway speed). I dont know if it took care of it because it comes andd goes. Up until this issue it has always ran fine. I have owned it several years and only have replaced the battery, fan/clutch(cheap ebay), ac compressor(napa) and the front hub/bearings(ebay, I know this will come back to bite me). And done regular maintenance ie. oil changes.

My question is 1. I didnt think this sensors failed to often and could this be my issue? 2. Is there anything else I should be checking that could cause similar issues.

I know a tune up is probably in order but not sure on this vehicle what all that consists of.

Is it the V6 or the inline-6?

The vortec 4.3 I'd be checking for leaking spider injection, and the 4.2 has a camshaft phaser that can go bad or get clogged up and cause a shitty idle rough running problem. These are just a few ideas, it could always have a weak ignition coil or something stupid like that.

Aj this is true. Pulled 6 codes this time after I replaced the sensor mentioned above. I really havent driven all that much in 2 years. Dont know if this has anything to do with it. Maybe sitting to long.

The codes now showing are:

P0495-COOLING FAN HIGH SPEED

P0420-CATYLYST SYSTEM CONTROL BELOW THRESHOLD(BANK 1)

P0014-CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR HELP

P1345-CRANKSHAFT SENSOR

P1434-REFRIGERENT TEMP CONTROL(A/C WIRES ARENT PLUGGED UP CURRENTLY)

P0420-CATALYST SYSTEM CONTROL BELOW THRESHOLD (BANK 1)

• 2 weeks later...
Still having the issue. I am going to replace the plugs and see if I have any luck. The plastic box thing that sits on top of the motor and is in between the air filter box and the throttle body seems to have moisture in it. Not sure how or if its relevant. the filter is dry and the clamps were all tight. Any other ideas?

The Mexican mechanic I referenced earlier dropped the piping, cut a larger rectangle out of the top of the converter, beat the innards out of it, and welded the top back on, and put the pipes back.

And no, the set up the Mexican mechanic saw on the Bravada looked like a normal, everyday converter... bolted on.

Guess your 02 is gonna look like one of these.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=601&q=bravada+catalytic+converter&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw#q=2002+bravada+catalytic+converter&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=ga1UTfHSK4GglAfo7e24Bw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQrQQwAw&biw=1366&bih=601&fp=75c7716a34cbcf0d

how does knocking out a cat affect the oxygen sensor readings? Does it change gas mileage or performance?

All I can do is speak about my experience's but when I started having issues I noticed a big decrease in mileage. I was going through gas much quicker as I had to give it more gas to move. I had reset my engine light and it came back on immediately. After gutting it, my mileage is back to normal, my car is running as I feel it should and no more lights. I assume as it clogged I was getting less and less mileage up until it finally clogged all the way. I have read online about people saying there are no adverse affects to the vehicle running with a gutted cat and those that say its not a good idea.

Edited by wnaplay