Verizon to limit Data for high use people that sign starting today

99FLHRCI

If you subscribe to a Data Plan or Feature on February 3, 2011 or after, the following applies:

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.

https://ecache.vzw.com/imageFiles/Myacct/nda/images/docs/VerizonWirelessServiceInformation.pdf

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the new data rules, the new text rules (unlimited text only applies verizon to verizon and does not include short text (5 digit #'s), other carriers or IM), the phone limits (old but it is only verizon to verizon unlike sprints to any mobile) and them taking away the new every 2 program I don't see a reason to join (or renew) with them.

Between the new data rules, the new text rules (unlimited text only applies verizon to verizon and does not include short text (5 digit #'s), other carriers or IM), the phone limits (old but it is only verizon to verizon unlike sprints to any mobile) and them taking away the new every 2 program I don't see a reason to join (or renew) with them.

When did they take away the new every two?

They are not limiting the amount, retards, they are throttling the speed, so when you hit the high cap your speed is throttled back to like 56k. You still get unlimited data, it's just slow as shit after you hit the cap.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/03/verizon-reserving-right-to-throttle-data-speeds-for-top-5-of-users/

I am not aware of any change to text at all. It sounds like there may have been some confusion about what plan you have though.

Unlimited is unlimited and any us numbers and shortcodes** count. This plan is included in the cost of your minute plan. 59.99* for unlimited messaging and 450 minutes.

There is also an add on option to a regular minute plan that provides unlimited m2m messaging but provides a various amount of out of network messages per month.

This has been the way of things for a few years at least.

Ne2 was for most people 30 or 50 bucks and personally I don't like that move but it doesn't really bother me that much.

These "data rules" only seem like a protection for their business. It doesn't seem to say they are actively pursuing and throttling people, just that they reserve the right to do so. There could be some virus that is causing issues so they can try to minimize impact to the network itself. This is only my take on it.

*From VZW.com

**Some shortcodes have a monthly recurring cost

well, it looks like i'll be sticking with this plan for quite some time, unless AT&T or sprint can get their shit together and get on the same playing field as verizon with a lower price.

What are you paying with them. I got a lifer verizon fan to switch to sprint, because in fact it was cheaper and better service.

I've used 4,043,798KB this month on my sprint plan. Lets see if anything changes past the 5gb point.

I just recently got a Sprint Air Card thingy to try out for a home internet alternative (rural = not shit for internet). The Sprint guy is letting me try it out for a month and swears there's no bandwidth cap on it. I'm going to put that to the test this month. I'm downloading everything in sight. :bangbang:

I just recently got a Sprint Air Card thingy to try out for a home internet alternative (rural = not shit for internet). The Sprint guy is letting me try it out for a month and swears there's no bandwidth cap on it. I'm going to put that to the test this month. I'm downloading everything in sight. :bangbang:

Copied from Sprint. Just make sure you are picking up 4g/ wimax and you are good.

# 3G coverage nationwide: 5GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. Additional monthly usage over 5GB while on network costs 5¢/MB and over 300 MB while off-network roaming costs 25¢/MB. You can check your usage online anytime. Sign into http://www.sprint.com/mysprint and click on see all usage.

# Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred. See what you can do with 5GB a month on a 3G connection plan.

They are not limiting the amount, retards, they are throttling the speed, so when you hit the high cap your speed is throttled back to like 56k. You still get unlimited data, it's just slow as shit after you hit the cap.

Which... can limit... the amount you can download... in a day.

;)