Good First Cars?

Brendon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the best advice. everyone wants a hot-rod for their first car. there's nothing more miserable then having to repair your car because you need transportation the next day---fast cars break down all the time. usually because most people can only afford a well-used example, when they purchase their first car. get a reliable daily, and then make the fun car a non-daily driver.

Good advice here. I had a caviler for my first car and daily when I had my ws6. I was very nice having a back up car that got good mpg for driving on a daily basis even if it did have more problems than my ws6.

Answer this brief questionaire and I will find you your perfect car.

How much do you plan to spend?

Top 3 color preferences?

AWD or FWD? (RWD was removed due to your post)

Will the car see any type of drag racing or auto x?

How many miles do you drive a week?

Manual or auto?

Please list the below in order from most want to do not want.

4 door, hatch, coupe, convertible, suv, hybrid, truck, semi, spaceship

Do you plan on modding the car? If so what type of mods?

Do you want a car payment or to buy it up front?

Ideal milage?

List two of your dream cars.

List two practical cars that you like to give a good idea of what type of body style you like.

How much do you plan to spend?

Around $5,000.

Top 3 color preferences?

Black

Silver

Red

AWD or FWD? (RWD was removed due to your post)

Preferably FWD.

Will the car see any type of drag racing or auto x?

Maybe drag racing once I get more experienced.

How many miles do you drive a week?

I would probably drive to school, friends, etc. The usual places HS students drive.

Manual or auto?

Either

Please list the below in order from most want to do not want.

4 door, hatch, coupe, convertible, suv, hybrid, truck, semi, spaceship

Coupe, Hatch, 4 Door, Convertible, SUV, Truck, Hybrid, Spaceship, Semi.

Do you plan on modding the car? If so what type of mods?

Not til' I get more money. I would like a used car already with a few mods.

Do you want a car payment or to buy it up front?

Buying up-front.

Ideal milage?

N/A

List two of your dream cars.

-Nissan GT-R (far-fetched)

-Subaru WRX STi (realistic)

List two practical cars that you like to give a good idea of what type of body style you like.

STi

F-Body Camaro

We got my GF's daughter a 1997 Honda Civic. Fantastic car. Great MPG, never breaks, FWD...couldn't be happier with it.

Did you guys pay much for it?

Civic or accord

Buy a Cheap to own cheap to repair and super reliable car that will always get you A to B. Once you have extra $ buy a 2nd car to work on and then when it breaks or will not ______ then you still get to school/ work

I was looking a used Civic's & Accord's. Accord's seems to cost a bit more than Civic's.

Chevy S10.

They are cheap. Parts are cheap. Insurance is cheap. Gas mileage isn't bad. They are easy to work on, reliable, and practical. Not fast enough to get you into trouble, but not girly enough that you'd feel like a homo driving it.

Thanks; good suggestion.

Integra, found one last year for 2k with 155k miles and the only thing ive done to it is oil changes and tires in the last 12,000 miles. not the fastest car but still are fun to drive

Wouldn't insurance be expensive on it though?

Wouldn't insurance be expensive on it though?

that really depends on your parents policy, but i know its a significant amount less than my dsm (awd, stick, turbo)

And I'm sure if they claimed (put their name on) my car, and my name was on one of theirs, the insurance rate(s) would be a lot cheaper, right?

yeah that could work too depending on what type of cars they have. that's what my parents did for my DSM, its under my dad as a primary driver and like i said before its significantly cheaper than if i was under the primary driver.

I thought that's what most people would do.

Whats wrong with RWD? I prefer them in snow than FWD. Why not look for the Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis? You could find them under 100,000 miles for around 5-6 grand and about 7-8 yrs old.

Nothing is necessarily wrong with it, I am just hesitant about it because it's my first car. And, driving in the rain and snow would suck with a RWD car.

Seriously though 5k for a first car is a bad idea..

unless you have someone buying it for you and will buy you another after you wreck it..;

EVERYONE wrecks there first car..

get something slow and cheap atleast for a year..

My budget isn't very high, so I am trying to get what I can, with what I have. I understand what you mean about the first car though, I treat all my stuff good though, so I don't know if that changes anything.

unless you have someone buying it for you and will buy you another after you wreck it..;

I didn't wreck my first, second, third, etc car on until about my 12th. It all depends on what you do with your car and how careful you are. If you go out and drive like you are invincible, yea it's gonna be smashed.

I didn't wreck my first, second, third, etc car on until about my 12th. It all depends on what you do with your car and how careful you are. If you go out and drive like you are invincible, yea it's gonna be smashed.

I'm going to try to have fun with it, but I will always be responsible with how I drive it.

You can have fun and be responsible. I had many things break because of beating on the car but, parts are a lot easier/cheaper to replace then a wrecked car.

True. I know I am going to have to replace a few things here-and-there, because that's expected with almost ever car. Especially with something older too, it would hopefully be cheaper to fix things.

chevy s10 is a great first vehicle. holds up to multiple wrecks, i wrecked mine like 4 times and still sold it for $800! lol

I saw those online. I heard they're pretty cheap.

Have you considered a Honda Prelude? Good on gas, reliable, and good to learn with. You mentioned not trying auto-x. I would recommend that you definitely try it. It is very fun, but more importantly, it will help you learn better car control. Other cars I might consider would be Toyota Celica, Base Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, SVT Focus, N/A Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Tiburan V6, Ford Mustang V6, you've got lots of good choices.

i didnt total a car till my like 5th car....

Have you considered a Honda Prelude? Good on gas, reliable, and good to learn with. You mentioned not trying auto-x. I would recommend that you definitely try it. It is very fun, but more importantly, it will help you learn better car control. Other cars I might consider would be Toyota Celica, Base Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, SVT Focus, N/A Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Tiburan V6, Ford Mustang V6, you've got lots of good choices.

I actually haven't even thought about that previously. Good suggestion. I think I have heard of Auto-X before, but I have never looked into it.

my first car was a diesel 5spd chevette

highly recomended if you can find one....

if you can't any 3800s/c fwd gm would provide reliability and reasonably priced platform to mod on...

i loved chevette's! i would love to have one as a daily, gasoline though. haha