Computer people, I need your help please

V8 Beast

I went out today and replaced the hard disk drive on my sons netbook. In trying to tranfer windows 7 starter to it I ran into a bit of a problem. It appears the $40 it would have cost me to send the netbook in for repairs is the exact amount it costs for hp to ship me windows 7. The software itself is free, but I guess the magical unicorn they use to deliver it 7 days from now costs more than overnight air.

Anyone know of a place I can get the software my company already paid for without paying for it again?

Your netbook should have a sticker with a Windows 7 key on the bottom. DL yourself a copy of windows 7, and use that key to legitly install it.

also, are you using a usb cd drive to install windows?

Duh, go to the windows web site instead of HP... Brilliant!!!

Second question.. havnt gotten that far yet. Waiting to see how big the file is before I take the next step.

Thanks everyone!!!! My pockets are only $35 lighter and I have a netbook thats faster and more efficient than before.

Special thanks to James, Eric, and Jeff! I had to adapt windows 7 to boot through a flash drive with the software I got through demonoid. Then James gave me an even better copy today that I installed through an external cd drive that my friend in Best Buy let me use without the need to buy it. Afterwards I went back to demonoid and got some extra goodies.

I heart CR :D

Thanks everyone!!!! My pockets are only $35 lighter and I have a netbook thats faster and more efficient than before.

Special thanks to James, Eric, and Jeff! I had to adapt windows 7 to boot through a flash drive with the software I got through demonoid. Then James gave me an even better copy today that I installed through an external cd drive that my friend in Best Buy let me use without the need to buy it. Afterwards I went back to demonoid and got some extra goodies.

I heart CR :D

Rep gladly accepted :D

• Upvote 1

second question wasnt really a question.

you prolly wont find a copy of windows 7 without a key on microsofts website. you'll need to torrent it.

Actually, yes you can. Digitalriver (MS's distribution partner) has the DVD Iso for all versions available for download.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

glad to hear you're back up and running.

In the future, a good thing to do is HP makes a partition on the hard drive that contains all of this stuff, so you might want to burn the disks or backup that media as soon as you get the machine.