'06+ Civic vs. '04 Acura TL for DD

Archie

I personally really like the styling of the TL, it would be my choice. Its larger, has more power, gives off a more adult impression than a civic. Civic would obviously be better on gas. I'm not sure how many issues they had though in the beginning, isnt 04 the first year for that model?

I personally really like the styling of the TL, it would be my choice. Its larger, has more power, gives off a more adult impression than a civic. Civic would obviously be better on gas. I'm not sure how many issues they had though in the beginning, isnt 04 the first year for that model?

Yeah '04 was the first year I believe.

I've got nothing bad to say about them. They are a blast to drive.

Both of them or just the TL?

Auto? The Civic with an automatic is going to suck ass. Unless you get a hybrid or an Si, it's just a car.

The TL is just a tarted up Accord, if you're into that sort of thing. You'll pay a premium for the "luxury car" bs. Why not split the difference and get a nice boring Accord?

Auto? The Civic with an automatic is going to suck ass. Unless you get a hybrid or an Si, it's just a car.

The TL is just a tarted up Accord, if you're into that sort of thing. You'll pay a premium for the "luxury car" bs. Why not split the difference and get a nice boring Accord?

He could even look into a TSX as well. I have driven on and really enjoyed it. Was not super fast by any means but with the manual trans it was defently a fun car for sure and would make a good daily as well.

Yeah '04 was the first year I believe.

Both of them or just the TL?

Well really neither, though I will say I don't know a ton about these cars. Having spent a lot of seat time in the minor model refresh of the TL (07) I can say it's a really fun car to drive. I would definitely pick the TL first any day of the week. The only small (not really that small) kink in that is you can probably find an 06 civic for less money, with less miles and it gets better gas mileage than an 04 TL.

Edmunds.com says 11k for 04TL and 8k for 06 civic. That's not a small amount of money. And I know that's not necessarily what they go for, but I still can't image the Civic not being less to buy than the TL.

It really depends on what you want out of the car. I think it's hard to really compare these two, other than that they are from the same maker. Would you be comparing an 04 BMW 3 series to an 06 civic?

The TL is just a tarted up Accord, if you're into that sort of thing.

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/2/jack_lol.gif

Every (fucking hack wana be know it all) likes to throw this idea around about every vehicle make when 90% of the time it's not true. Please note in this case it's not true in case that little brain of yours was trying to figure out what I was saying.

Civic = Timing chain

TL = Timing Belt....IIRC

Well...the TL is pretty much an accord from about 90% of peoples eye balls. Sure the chassis may be different, but if you get an accord V6 is damn near the same driving experience. Sit in denial all you want, it's true of most cross companies.

Every (fucking hack wana be know it all) likes to throw this idea around about every vehicle make when 90% of the time it's not true. Please note in this case it's not true in case that little brain of yours was trying to figure out what I was saying.

ORLY? It's not built in the same plant off the same platform with the same series of engine?

I'm willing to accept that it's different enough that "tarted up" doesn't quite cover it, but I think you're nitpicking. It's not like the TSX, which is built off a different platform and has a much different driving experience.

Civic = Timing chain

TL = Timing Belt....IIRC

Well...the TL is pretty much an accord from about 90% of peoples eye balls.

The cars share probably no interior or exterior pieces, different levels of sound deadening, not the same engine, no suspension, radio, steering wheel. Designed by different groups for different markets.

I hope that most people on here aren't 90% of the population when it comes to cars. 90% of people couldn't tell the difference between a Civic and a Lambro-fucking-ghini if they drove the two back to back. That doesn't mean there is not a difference. If you can't drive the an Accord and TL and notice the difference, do yourself a favor and buy the Civic because you won't notice that difference either.

Edited by Trouble Maker

My Integra shares no interior or exterior pieces, sound deadening, engine, suspension, radio, or steeling wheel as an EF civic. A DA Integra is just as different, parts wise, from an EF Civic as a TL is from an Accord. And yet, DA = tarted up EF. I've driven the shit out of both of them and I can assure you this is true.

I'm going to go buy a used Phaeton and put Bentley stickers on it. kekekeke

Seriously, sorry I had to derail this thread so much, Back on topic.

No, I actually found your rants very helpful... I don't really want an Accord and I was looking for someone to point out that they don't share too much with a TL.

I'm going to look into a TSX too, but I'd definitely sacrifice a little gas mileage for power/overall drivability.

I'm glad they were helpful. If that's enough, that's fine, but I'm a firm believer in going and feeling and driving cars. Go sit in an 04 Accord and an 04 TL and an 06 civic so you can be 100% sure of your choice. Just sitting in them should be enough to know which decision is right for you. Then drive them to be sure! :)

The cars share probably no interior or exterior pieces, different levels of sound deadening, not the same engine, no suspension, radio, steering wheel. Designed by different groups for different markets.

I hope that most people on here aren't 90% of the population when it comes to cars. 90% of people couldn't tell the difference between a Civic and a Lambro-fucking-ghini if they drove the two back to back. That doesn't mean there is not a difference. If you can't drive the an Accord and TL and notice the difference, do yourself a favor and buy the Civic because you won't notice that difference either.

I like how you cut out the rest of my post to make your point valid. If you had read past where you quoted me you would have found the above point you made invalid. You them recommend to the OP to sit in both the cars. I also recommend doing so as I clearly stated that the TL and the V6 accord offer essentially the same dricing experience in my book.

After driving so many different cars on a daily basis, most of them feel the same to me and every once and awhile a few come along that offer a unique experience, of which neither of the above cars offer in comparison.

Selective posting is no different from selective hearing.

I was incedibly dissappointed with the TL, I felt you got the same bang for your buck performance wise in the V6 accord. The accord plants you in the seat harder on acceleration, but lacks in the corners as it FEELS like the TL has stiffer dampners than the Accord. That is an observation from my body in the car, not reading what a sheet of paper, or my owners manual says Vin Diesel....

I've owned an 06 tl and an 09 accord coupe and they are absolutely NOTHiNG alike in the experiences they provide in any way. The accord feels cheap and overall is about as boring as possible to drive. The accord also provides no good feelings from the interior to offset it's boring feelings in every other way outside of looks. The tl in the 04-up body style is absolutely hot. As for driving experience it's better than the accord but it's still a Honda sedan. Interior on the tl is worlds ahead in everyway i can think of. It had a ton of standard really nice features as well as the optional stuff mine was loaded up with. Lastly the materials that were used on the interior, I can't swear are of different makes or if it's the way they were presented but they absolutely feel higher quality and look it too. Overall unless you're considering the newer civic si's there's no comparison between the two vehicles. Tl all day long sir.

Those two cars aren't even in the same ball park. If you are over 6' you are going to feel like you are in a cramped up go-kart driving the Civic. Everything in them is base...base....base model cheap crap! The TL is in a completely different league, size, materials, quality, etc...

How much are you looking to spend? $10k, $20k, ?

If you just want something to drive to from work and could care less about the drive/power I would look at a TSX also. If you want a little more power you can get a V6 TSX or TL which aren't bad. Still nothing to even compare as a performance car....they are NOT! They are both nice daily drivers and that's about it...

Go sit in them, look at them, and drive them.....you will laugh at this thread comparing them! :D

Those two cars aren't even in the same ball park. If you are over 6' you are going to feel like you are in a cramped up go-kart driving the Civic. Everything in them is base...base....base model cheap crap! The TL is in a completely different league, size, materials, quality, etc...

How much are you looking to spend? $10k, $20k, ?

If you just want something to drive to from work and could care less about the drive/power I would look at a TSX also. If you want a little more power you can get a V6 TSX or TL which aren't bad. Still nothing to even compare as a performance car....they are NOT! They are both nice daily drivers and that's about it...

Go sit in them, look at them, and drive them.....you will laugh at this thread comparing them! :D

Good info here, I did drive a Civic and it was exactly as you described... I'm 6'1 and it was a beating, not to mention I probably looked silly in that damn thing.

I'm looking for staying under $10k if at all possible, there's a few used ones on CL but no smoking deals really.

To consider I drive all of these cars talked about on a daily basis. I will tell you a V6 Accord is not comparable to a TL. I drive these cars everyday because I repair them for a Honda Dealership. I was going to buy an 04 6spd, 3 months ago for 9200, but decide to get my cadillac instead. If you want information on these car, I can get you in contact with the right people.

To consider I drive all of these cars talked about on a daily basis. I will tell you a V6 Accord is not comparable to a TL.

But they are based on the same platform so there is no way they drive different. :o

I was going to buy an 04 6spd, 3 months ago for 9200, but decide to get my cadillac instead. If you want information on these car, I can get you in contact with the right people.

I was just going to say you would be hard pressed to find an 04 TL for sub 10k, but I like to be proven wrong. I know you can find some killer deals on cars at times.

For reference, Auto Trader search for 2004 Acura TL within 100 miles http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastBeginningStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=100&address=43235&marketZipError=false&make=ACURA&model=TL&make2=&start_year=2004&end_year=2004&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=y&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&awsp=false&systime=&rdm=1299221635912

Highest Price: $16,990

Lowest Price: $9,744

Average Price: $12,315

I've owned an 06 tl and an 09 accord coupe and they are absolutely NOTHiNG alike in the experiences they provide in any way

2008 was a major model change for the Accord so it's a much different (better and much bigger) car than what he would be looking at in his price range, other Accords pre 08. I still think the 04-08 TL is a nicer car, but I wouldn't call the 08+ Accord cheap feeling either. When sitting in an older Accord (pre 08), you can tell it's age, even if it's in perfect condition. The current Civic probably is probably as nice inside as an 04 Accord. It's amazing the difference a few years and a major model change makes due to how competitive the automotive market is. As soon as some competitor comes out with a new version, the current version of the other car is usually such an underdog. Then a year later that car comes out with a new version that's even better than the other car. I think it's also important to note that the current Accord is a big car that bases at $22k which isn't a lot of money in that segment. It's easy to think an Accord should be a nicer car than it is due to the name, but it's just as budget as the Civic in price relative to the size of the vehicles. Keeping that in mind I think it is (was when it came out in 08) a great car for the price.