Rascal unit WOW!

TTQ B4U

So I neglected to realize our pup needed his last set of shots. Basic stuff, Borditella, distemper and rabies. My bad.

Called our vet that we really enjoy working with, ect but damn! For this simple vist and shot $175!! WTF! Again basic stuff that not many can screw up.

Called rascal and squeaked my dog in today even. Total cost $35.

Wife and I were in debate about continuing to support our vet but too bad. I'm sorry that's a crazy different price that i can't justify.

Am I being that damn cheap? Just had to share and vent in case anyone else is in need of affordable care.

Good to know. Explains a lot. It's decent model for a good cause. Not to mention can save folks a lot of money on the basics.

The girl who started it's dad is mega rich. They have hella funding. Most low cost clinics can't afford to offer services to everyone like they do because they literally cannot afford to. I am pretty sure they have no mortgage and a lot of their equipment is paid for through donations. They are a great service, but the funding behind it (which is all clean, no problem there) makes it unrealistic for just about anywhere to do what they do.

Rascal Unit is excellent. They are my persona vet of choice. great prices and excellent services. There is also another place that is very inexpensive. Pet Solutions. They are on Hudson by 71, in da hood. But they are very nice and very inexpensive. They cater to the low income indivduals in that are which is why they are so inexpensive and cash only. Both places are great to work with.

Got my dog spayed by Rascal unit and it was only like $100.

Pet Solutions charged me like $75. Wither way it's a good price.

edit: scratch that, $75 was for neuter. spaying is more expensive. that's a good price.

Edited by RC K9
wrong

Rascal unit is dublin. They revieve a lot of donations as already mentioned. Stores that have broken bags of food will donate it to them. They are pretty well stocked. If you should fall on hard times they will give you the food free to help out. Its a hell of a service.

You can read more here

http://www.rascalunit.org/RascalUnit/Home_Page.html

Good for you, people being to lazy to research better prices is why alot of these places feel justified in screwing the ignorant. Now if we can all refuse buying gas for a week, prices will come down to a reasonable price as well.

Regular vets aren't screwing people. Rascal Unit is funded by wealthy donors. Regular practices have to fund everything from the mortgage, to the equipment loans, to the salaries off of income from services alone.

Regular vets aren't screwing people. Rascal Unit is funded by wealthy donors. Regular practices have to fund everything from the mortgage, to the equipment loans, to the salaries off of income from services alone.

A vet that has a nicer office than I do a house has to pass the costs on to his customers. I rather pay for the service I am being provided instead of my costs being more than doubled to cover amenities rather than salaries, experience, education and equipment. Its just the way they have chosen to run their particular setup. Much like a huge car dealership that has a bazillion salesman, a gigantic building and lights on all night, those prices have to be paid by someone and unfortunately its added on to the cost of the cars.

A vet that has a nicer office than I do a house has to pass the costs on to his customers. I rather pay for the service I am being provided instead of my costs being more than doubled to cover amenities rather than salaries, experience, education and equipment. Its just the way they have chosen to run their particular setup. Much like a huge car dealership that has a bazillion salesman, a gigantic building and lights on all night, those prices have to be paid by someone and unfortunately its added on to the cost of the cars.

I know pretty intricately how most vet practices are ran and you are wrong.

Rascal Unit services are subsidized by donations. What you pay is not completely covering the total cost of the procedure.

For example, the cost to my fiancee's clinic to do a 51-75 lb neuter is $135, they make $20 on the procedure. Tell me how they are screwing people? They have a 15 year old building, no new equipment and are short 2 techs.

^^ this. Please don't let anyone here believe I feel my standard vet is screwing me. I don't feel that way. I do feel and know they charge more than some places, but they are in a very modest building that's owned by the practice for over 30 years. They drive normal cars, etc...but in the end, that really isn't a consideration. Their house, car, office, that's their business.

My point is just that the pricing was/is so vastly different that regardless of why, I was just floored.