Who lives/lived in Florida?

dover

Now that I am about to be done and out of the Army and have no debt, I think I am going to move to Florida rather then come back to dreary Ohio. So I have a few questions for the folks who live/lived there.

1) What city do you recommend?

a) as of right now I am looking in to Miami or Tampa

2) What is cost of living like?

b) What should I expect for utilities, gas, groceries?

3) Any vital information I need to know?

c) I am done with the Army June 10th so I will either move then or return

back to Ohio to settle and save for another couple months before going.

Thanks for the insight.

Looks like cost of living is higher in Miami and average pay is less... that's about what I would expect. I'd personally never want to live anywhere I've visited in Florida, as fun as they are to visit. I've got a major problem with coastal towns in general, it usually cost more to live, 'cities' too spread out, pay doesn't match the increase cost of living. On top of that Florida is usually not really home for anyone. I think that has negative effects on how people treat each other. Lots of old people live there that don't know how the fuck to drive. Even the people that live there that aren't old drive like they are about to die.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.aspx

I lived in Naples and loved it. Still have a condo I rent out and use to visit from time to time. We will move back once kids are through with school here in Ohio.

Miami is a cool city but not the best place to live unless you have money. Tampa is more family-friendly. PM me if you have specific questions!

My Brother lived in Naples/Ft.Myers: loved it.

I spent a year or so down there: hated it.

Should note i've been Vacationing down there since forever (UA thing), great place to spend a week or two but it gets old fast.

The weather down there is nasty (IMO). Like Nov-March are tits but April through Oct is like 94 and 100% humidity every fucking day.(picture the nastiest day in Ohio during August x 210). Personally I'd rather suffer through the hell of Dec/Jan/Feb here then the nightmare of the long summers there.

In regards to location i'd definitely focus on Miami: the entire West Coast seems to be riddled with trashy areas and overwhelmed with snotty old people.

Oh and the east-coasters will drive you NUTS. Like literally they will pull out right in front of you and give you some look like "what are you going to do, hit me!?". Which brings up another point: infrastructure. The traffic/infrastructure down there (at least on the west coast) is horrid...Sorry I hate that State.

i would live in ft lauderdale. Cleaner nicer city. And 25mins from miami. I go down to ft lauderdale/miami area every year. There were some really good deals last time i was down there on condos!

Yea Ft.Lauderdale would be a good option too, I think there's a young(er) crowd there.

Speaking of Condos, if your dead-set on moving to FL. I would strongly suggest you look into buying property down there. Housing prices down there are NUTS right now. Like prices have dropped 60% in the past few years.

We have friends who live in Sarasota, on Siesta Key. They love it there. Not sure of much of a "car scene" though... They are into boating and fishing, so, it is PERFECT for them.... When we visit them on Vacation, there has always been something to do...

KillJoy

Tampa gets my vote, if I were to move to FL that'd be the only place I move to. You can't go wrong with Tampa / Clearwater / St. Petersburg areas.

Yes, I have always liked that area. Or you can look more inland and save on cost of living. There are some nice tracks down there too...

Now that I am about to be done and out of the Army and have no debt, I think I am going to move to Florida rather then come back to dreary Ohio. So I have a few questions for the folks who live/lived there.

1) What city do you recommend?

a) as of right now I am looking in to Miami or Tampa

2) What is cost of living like?

b) What should I expect for utilities, gas, groceries?

3) Any vital information I need to know?

c) I am done with the Army June 10th so I will either move then or return

back to Ohio to settle and save for another couple months before going.

Thanks for the insight.

Ive never lived personally but my brother seriously considered relocating for a job and i have a friend who is in the middle of relocating to tampa. Personally i would rather live in tampa than miami, Ive heard cost of living is either at or nominally above cost of living in cbus, which is pretty cheap all things considered.

What kind of work do you want to get into after youget out of the army?

We have friends who live in Sarasota, on Siesta Key. They love it there. Not sure of much of a "car scene" though... They are into boating and fishing, so, it is PERFECT for them.... When we visit them on Vacation, there has always been something to do...

KillJoy

Siesta key is beautiful. Sarasota property was like number 1 or 2 in the country for home values lost. So you can find a nice place there.

Siesta key is beautiful. Sarasota property was like number 1 or 2 in the country for home values lost. So you can find a nice place there.

This. Their Property Values (currently) are CHEEEEAAAAPPPP compared to what they were when we first went down there. Very beautiful area, but I think the entire community is tourism based. The Oil Spill did not really hurt their area though. :thumbup:

KillJoy

Tampa gets my vote, if I were to move to FL that'd be the only place I move to. You can't go wrong with Tampa / Clearwater / St. Petersburg areas.

I agree, I have a few friends that live in this area and it would be a nice place to settle down in this area.

This. Their Property Values (currently) are CHEEEEAAAAPPPP compared to what they were when we first went down there. Very beautiful area, but I think the entire community is tourism based. The Oil Spill did not really hurt their area though. :thumbup:

KillJoy

yep, i'm currently looking for a condo in siesta key---prices are still dropping, so i probably won't buy this summer, but its nuts. i wouldn't recommend sarasota for a young, single guy in his 20's, though. my buddy has a place in siesta key, and we've been going on guy trips about every 2 months for the last year----crescent beach is the nicest beach i've ever seen. some of the prices on the inland houses are ABSOLUTELY NUTS. they are selling for roughly 60% of the cost of the materials to build the house. the condos on the beach, or near the beach have not depreciated to the same extent.

tampa is where its at. i lived there for a year, and thoroughly enjoyed the city. tons to do for a young professional. cost of living is very reasonable. huge, huge car scene. good shopping, restaurants, great nightlife. don't know much about finding a job there, so i can't comment on that. traffic is traffic, but its not aweful. we lived about 20 minutes north of tampa.

i'd avoid miami like aids.