Aquarium/Terrarium pets?

Otis Nice

I recently moved and had to get rid of my 2 huge goldfish and pleco and clear out my 55 gallon tank. I will be selling this aquarium with the stand and everything needed but also have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a nice stand and was thinking of getting something different.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at things such as lizards, geckos, chinchillas, and things of that sort. I've done the fish already and don't want to go that route. I've had albino mice before also. NOt out of the question. I'd like it to be fairly unique, failry inexpensive (I know this cuts down the field as far as something exotic goes), and fairly easy to maintain.

Thanks in advance.

There area a few of us on this board that might just know a thing or two about some animals.

As for unique. Ever heard of a Degu?

If you think they look interesting after you look them up send me a message. Someone on this board twisted my arm and made me take them. I disliked them at first but over the past few days they have started to grow on me and are pretty awesome now.

*disclaimer* I can not be held liable for any addiction to animals you may gain from interaction with me.

There area a few of us on this board that might just know a thing or two about some animals.

As for unique. Ever heard of a Degu?

If you think they look interesting after you look them up send me a message. Someone on this board twisted my arm and made me take them. I disliked them at first but over the past few days they have started to grow on me and are pretty awesome now.

*disclaimer* I can not be held liable for any addiction to animals you may gain from interaction with me.

I hadn't unil I saw your post in the ferrett for sale thread. I'm reading up on them now. Looks like the tank may be a good size and I'd need 2 of them at least since they're communal. What's the price on them usually? Haven't found prices yet.

I hadn't unil I saw your post in the ferrett for sale thread. I'm reading up on them now. Looks like the tank may be a good size and I'd need 2 of them at least since they're communal. What's the price on them usually? Haven't found prices yet.

I will send you a message when I get home. Let you take a look at some pics and see my setup. And give you some info about behavior lol.

Sounds good. Wife is freaking out. I went to PetSmart on my break just to look around and kill time and she said no to any rodents. LOL.

We may have had a mishap in the past where maybe an albino mouse might have gotten out and maybe literally chased her across the kitchen when I was possibly 3 hours away and she may have had to catch it herself.......maybe. :D

She's afriad of any rodents doing the same. I explained that they can't climb glass. :p Also looked at geckos and chinese water dragons they had there. Very interesting.

I had a lot of lizards back in college. My fav was a golden skink. I had a savanna monitor too but that is too big for your application. I had basilisks "Jesus lizards" and they were evil. I still have scars from them. My wife had (oh this isn't going to end well I just realized) fiddler crabs in her dorm. They had the most awesome fights. Anything they lost grew back but she thought it was gross. I thought they were totally entertaining.

Ohh...I also had a Tegu very briefly...he had outgrown the cage at the store and I felt sorry for him. Once I got it home I realized why it basically grew old at the store...they can be mean if you don't get them young AND a Tegu has a serious bite. Does even more damage than a monitor which caused myself and a roomate to have to get stitches on a couple occasions. I ended up taking him back to the store.

Bearded Dragon or Chinese Water Dragon. We have both if you'd like to compare.

These are both very cool. The Chinese water dragon is very active and fun to watch, but not as laid back to hold. The Bearded Dragon can be taken outside on a leash and is generally really laid back and lazy. Gecko's really don't do anything and are pretty boring for the most part. We have 4 of those as well. We also have a bunch of snakes, and a desert iguana. Feel free to come over and check out the behaviors of the different types of reptiles and what all they each need care wise. :)

We also have a flighty Australian Frilled Dragon, but they are also fairly expensive for a reptile and hard to find. But he's cool anyways :D

He just doesn't like the stuffed animal that resembles him. :D

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/wannarace928/133156249_pdLJwnw0.jpg

Spiders? Praying Mantids? Scorpions?

Wife def won't go for those in the house. :)

A Chinchilla needs a tall cage so a 40b would not work for it.

How tall we talking? It's 16" tall and my 55g is 24" tall. Doubt I'll go Chinchilla though. Not wanting to spend $150 for one.

I had a lot of lizards back in college. My fav was a golden skink. I had a savanna monitor too but that is too big for your application. I had basilisks "Jesus lizards" and they were evil. I still have scars from them. My wife had (oh this isn't going to end well I just realized) fiddler crabs in her dorm. They had the most awesome fights. Anything they lost grew back but she thought it was gross. I thought they were totally entertaining.

Actually had a fiddler crab. Not bad, and entertaining, but I'm over them. Thanks for the others though. I'll take a look.

Bearded Dragon or Chinese Water Dragon. We have both if you'd like to compare.

Looked at water dragons on lunch. Friggin' sweet. Cousin use to have a bearded dragon. These are both on my radar.

Ohh...I also had a Tegu very briefly...he had outgrown the cage at the store and I felt sorry for him. Once I got it home I realized why it basically grew old at the store...they can be mean if you don't get them young AND a Tegu has a serious bite. Does even more damage than a monitor which caused myself and a roomate to have to get stitches on a couple occasions. I ended up taking him back to the store.

Thanks for the heads up on those.

These are both very cool. The Chinese water dragon is very active and fun to watch, but not as laid back to hold. The Bearded Dragon can be taken outside on a leash and is generally really laid back and lazy. Gecko's really don't do anything and are pretty boring for the most part. We have 4 of those as well. We also have a bunch of snakes, and a desert iguana. Feel free to come over and check out the behaviors of the different types of reptiles and what all they each need care wise. :)

Wait...I can walk a lizard? I'm intrigued.

And I haven't hung out at Anthony's house forever. Like...years. And I think I ended up taking a cat and dumping it off at my parents neighbors for him last time I did. lol That cat went crazy for the 45 minute ride home. Pretty sure he still owes me for that. Haha.

Thanks all. :)

I can definitely lend an expert opinion on Reptiles. I've been an amateur herpteoculturist for many years and have successfully raised and bred many species of reptiles, mostly turtles/tortoises and lizards. I thorougly endorse certain reptiles as family friendly pets with the caviat that proper equipment and understanding is a MUST before purchasing. I have many dealer friends at the Columbus Reptile show that have allowed me to hang out almost monthly and have learned much over the years.

I believe in educating a person prior to buying a reptile. I insist on it when working the show.

Keep in mind before reading about reptiles below that UVB lighting, spot lamps and other equipment (depending on the animal) will be needed besides the tank. This is where most of your cost will happen.

That being said I do have spare UVB lights and spot lamps/bulbs I can give you if you choose to go with reptiles. That should save you $80 or so.

Rambling over...

Now on to recommendations. First and most important, try to buy a captive born animal over a wild caught. They are much easier to take care of and more often than not easier to handle and care for. They do not stress nearly as easily. Petsmart does sell many captive born reptiles but with EXTREME mark up. You can get a bearded baby for $60 there but go down to the reptile show and get it for $20. I recommend the show for anyone wanting to gather info and see a variety of cool animals, mostly captive born.

Water dragons are awesome but are not a beginner animal. They require a habitat with running water (like a stream) in order to be healthy and vibrant. They are actually decently friendly as long as they are not wild caught animals. They do get bigger than you think but not overwhelmingly big.

Monitors are super cool lizards but as mentioned can get HUGE and generally can turn fairly aggressive when older. I do not recommend these to anyone but seasoned keepers.

Turtles require a lot of equipment and upkeep and their habitat requirements are vast. It's a lot of work but can be rewarding. They are great animals but keep in mind the cost and work needed. Also keep in mind that they will likely out live you!

Tortoises are similar to turtles but their upkeep (generally) is not as difficult. Most tortoises are herbivors and easy to feed and don't need a lot of equipment. Tortoises are admittedly my favorite reptile. They have such personalities. Disclaimer here... Many tortoises can quickly outgrow a breeder tank and do better outside. Not recommended if the animal has to be kept inside for the most part although some species are small enough.

On to bearded dragons. These are by far the most personable reptiles out there. I have raised and bred many over the years. If they are handled regularly they will act like little dogs always wanting held and petted. So cute and fun. Lots of things to consider here though. As babies they require 25-50 1/8 inch crickets A DAY. They are eating machines. You would have to bulk buy crickets by the thousand and house those separately. They are too expensive to buy at the pet store in quantities needed. Usually about $14.00 a 1000. As beardeds get older they will switch from crickets as a primary staple to veggies, however still require crickets 2-3 times a week. They also require about a 4 foot long by 2 foot deep by 2-3 foot high cage as an adult. Definitely bigger than a breeder.

The easiest starter reptile is by far the leopard gecko. They actually do not require expensive lighting or tons of crickets. They are however very skiddish and not happy being held or touched. Very easy to care for and breed though.

Sorry for the novel. I am passionate about reptiles if you cant tell. I do not know snakes very well though.

Feel free to pm any questions you have or if you need any equipment.

Pavo

Leopard geckos are actually great first reptiles, I have three now, two that I've adopted after o purchased my original. They are nocturnal so what activity you see typically happens later in the evening and at dark. Why not the most active they so go on their sprees. I keep a very well kept and decorated cage that is a lot bigger than most people typically keep three leos in and they have a good time on it. Cricket upkeep with them isn't to bad especially in the winter months.

Something else a little more interesting is a crested eyelash gecko, about the same idea with the abioity to effectively climb and jump rather far. They need a little bit more attention as they need their cage moistened daily at least. They eat crickets and a water mixed powder substance that turns out similar to banana baby good.

Also any claims that leos or any reptile are skittish really depends mostly on how it was raised. Sure some different species and breeds behave different but my leopard geckos love to be held becausei typically hold all of them daily. They have even been known to walk out of their shelters straight into my hands.

Screw thousands of crickets. I hate hearing those effin' things. Haha. Bearded may be the way to go. Especially if I can walk it on a leash. That'd be tits.

Lol... I had one that learned to just happily sit on my shoulder. He was so friendly. He would see me come in the room and he would pace his cage back and forth until I got him out and put him on my shoulder. He would sit on my shoulder for as long as I would let him.

Let me know if you do need any lighting. I have lots of spares. I used to have an impromptu reptile rescue. Didnt intend to have one but people at the show would not know what to do with their sick animals and would end up just giving them to me.

Pavo

He just doesn't like the stuffed animal that resembles him. :D

I can attest to the fact that this bugger jumped out of Anthony's TV while watching Jurassic Park. :eek:

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/133559654/original.jpg