WTBorrow: Smoke machine for vacuum leaks

zeitgeist57

I'm 99% positive the Passat has a couple of major vacuum leaks. Does anyone have access to a smoke machine so I can pressure test the intake system? TIA...

I'd use ether, but the car has a belt driven fan...almost always blowing a significant amount of air over the motor...be a pain to try to find a leak with the engine running.

It's never worked for me but lots of guys swear by disconnecting a tps or some sensor to put it into closed loop and then spray carb cleaner at suspect leak areas and listen for a change in idle...

a mechanic guy my dad knows sucked oil into a vacuum port of a carbed ride to make a smoke machine??? dunno if I would do that one but he swore it was safe...

Did you pull the covers and do a visual inspection? These cars are notorious for lines drying out and cracking. Typically a visual inspection will yield a result, we don't smoke those cars really ever. We see a ton of them......also check the air pump lines (plastic).

When I was tracing a boost leak on the RX I made a cap out of PVC and installed a tire valve. Then I hooked up my air compressor, pressurized a bit and listened for/felt for leaks.

you can spray brake kleen or carb cleaner near a suspected vacum leak if its leaking it should suck it in and change the idle a little bit

This, pull the belt off the fan and just don't run it long enough to overheat if the fan is screwing up your testing. Wait on second thought wouldn't it have an electric fan you could unplug? I don't know VWs but finding a vacuum leak shouldn't be all that hard, a can of brakeclean is all you need. If you want to get creative get a small thing of propane (you know the little ones for camping) short hose, and crack it open around possible vacuum leaks and find them easily.

do you have a ck engine light? it will throw bank 1 or bank 2 lean faults or secondary air faults for vacuum leaks. Also the mass air meters in most every vw is shitty and will throw lean faults as well. There was a recall for 2.8 passats for the vac line that went to the combination valves from the secondary air purge valve. The 2.8 has very few areas for a vac leak but there is one hose that is right behind the intake that is known to be soft and crack. like others have said, spray some throttle body cleaner on that hose and watch for idle surge.

This, pull the belt off the fan and just don't run it long enough to overheat if the fan is screwing up your testing. Wait on second thought wouldn't it have an electric fan you could unplug? I don't know VWs but finding a vacuum leak shouldn't be all that hard, a can of brakeclean is all you need. If you want to get creative get a small thing of propane (you know the little ones for camping) short hose, and crack it open around possible vacuum leaks and find them easily.

as mentioned above you have to put the car in closed loop by disconnecting a sensor or it will likely compensate making it difficult to notice.

There is a mechanical clutch fan and 2 electic fans on the car.