KBB/Edmunds.com Pricing Difference?

zeitgeist57

Yikes! So someone told me that I was pricing my Corvette too low and that I should look at KBB.com for pricing. I had been using Edmunds.com for valuation before putting it on CL.

Holy cow! Blue Book for a '95 Corvette is $10-11k? I have been pricing my 'Vette at $6500-7500 and haven't gotten a bite. If CarMax gave me a cash offer not far from my "private party" asking price, have I been too low? :)

I'm a bigger car nut than most of the people on this board. I like to think that I know the value of my 'Vette. I was disappointed when I thought my Vette is worth $9k to find Edmunds pricing it considerably lower. . . . However, this just doesn't make sense to me, when two somewhat reputable sources can be so far apart on valuation for the same car...

the c4 will probably bring about 7 or so in good shape. my dad sold his not to long ago and it was clean as hell. Just not a large market for them so epople are not paying out for them. I would try all of them and try to find a good mean of the values

try nadaguides.com as well. I don't think KBB is very acurate as they don't take geographics into consideration.... nada was $11,600

KBB asks for your location, NADA does not. NADA give me the highest price, so I will be using them from now on when selling, and Edmunds when buying.

EDIT: There is some more customizing you can do on Edmunds, and it ended up being the same as NADA.

One important thing to remember:

Neither KBB, nor Edmunds, nor NADA will buy your car. They could value your car at $10,000,000 but unless someone is willing to fork over that cash, its not worth $10,000,000. Carmax, however, WILL offer you actual money. On a car like yours, however (older, higher miles) they generally are not as generous.

I think your best bet would be to show up at some races or car meets with a "SALE" sign in the window; that way you're talking to guys who know what the car is, and you're not dealing with ignoramuses. They may pick apart every detail of the car that doesn't meet expectations, but that only means they're interested :D

One important thing to remember:

Neither KBB, nor Edmunds, nor NADA will buy your car. They could value your car at $10,000,000 but unless someone is willing to fork over that cash, its not worth $10,000,000. Carmax, however, WILL offer you actual money. On a car like yours, however (older, higher miles) they generally are not as generous.

I think your best bet would be to show up at some races or car meets with a "SALE" sign in the window; that way you're talking to guys who know what the car is, and you're not dealing with ignoramuses. They may pick apart every detail of the car that doesn't meet expectations, but that only means they're interested :D

I went to CarMax on Tuesday and found out what my bottom dollar is.

You're absolutely right about imputed value. However, there is also price perception, that if a 1995 Ferrari is truly worth $75k and the owner lists it for $60k people may think there is something terribly wrong with the car. I hardly had any bites over the last few weeks through AutoTrader and Craigslist at $7500...can't go lower without just resorting to giving it to CarMax, might as well move up market! :)

I've always used KBB with success. Although as mentioned above the market will decide what the true value is of the car. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right person to come along to get what you want for it.

did you try the "trade in my car" option on auto trader? I did this in Feb and sold my 300 srt-8 to toyota west. it is kind of like a car max, but there are 3 or 4 dealers who will purchase the car outright. worth a try as it gives you another option, even though it is wholesale price.

https://tradein.autotrader.com/ATPages/TradeInMarketPlace.aspx