tbss just died

ross

Need a techs opinion. I was driving around 35mph, the truck sputtered once and then the rpms dropped and it died. When I turn the key the gauges come on but the starter doesn't even click or anything. I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting on AAA to get here and the truck is honking randomly every now and then. Aaa is towing it to dan tobin chevy but the service center is closed today.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by ross

vats malfunction? said the horn was honking randomly. makes me think security system. just my thoughts.

what all can be involved with that?

Edit: seems my problem may be a bad ignition switch.

Edited by ross

Just curious how you fixed it? Glad it was simple though.

Dropped both lower dash panels and the steering column cover. Released the clips on the ignition switch and dropped it down from under the key cylinder. Matched the tooth wheel on the new switch to the old and popped the new one in. Plugged in the wires and hooked up the battery and to my relief it started.

ignition switches are common in those body trucks.

Yea it seems that they cause all types of issues and some people on tbssowners.com said the carry a spare one in the glove box.