nasty storms

jeffro

I am up cause of the storm. The guys on NBC 4 are like the 3 stooges fighting over tv time trying to explain this storm.

Jym hates working with other people lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Heath got hit pretty hard. Brother works at walmart. Front of building got torn partially off.

Park national bank had a front window broken and a tree in there drive thru. Brother called me I woke up grabbed son and went to basement and went back to sleep.

Columbus, where they blow the tornado sirens for twisters no where near my home.

This.

Was woke up by storm, checked out the news, saw the worst had passed, and went back to bed. A few minutes later I hear the sirens. They really should reevaluate how the alert system works, as it's my impression that all the sirens will go off county-wide regardless of where in the county the tornado sighting occurs. So, you have a tornado sighting in Groveport with sirens going off in Hilliard...uhh, not exactly accurate. Unfortunately, I think people get desensitized to the sirens.

This.

Was woke up by storm, checked out the news, saw the worst had passed, and went back to bed. A few minutes later I hear the sirens. They really should reevaluate how the alert system works, as it's my impression that all the sirens will go off county-wide regardless of where in the county the tornado sighting occurs. So, you have a tornado sighting in Groveport with sirens going off in Hilliard...uhh, not exactly accurate. Unfortunately, I think people get desensitized to the sirens.

The problem lies within the unpredictability of the storms. Storms can go any which way at any time. There wasn't actually any tornados sighted last night. The NWS uses velocity maps like posted on page 2 looking for cloud rotation. as soon as cloud rotation is spotted the horns blow.

except they blew them wile the rotation was over New Albany for All of Franklin county, and since the supercells were moving at 75 MPH they were out of franklin county before the first sirens stopped blowing. Last night was a fail, my NOAA alert also didn't go off until after the storms were out of franklin county. Last night was a bunch of fail.

except they blew them wile the rotation was over New Albany for All of Franklin county, and since the supercells were moving at 75 MPH they were out of franklin county before the first sirens stopped blowing. Last night was a fail, my NOAA alert also didn't go off until after the storms were out of franklin county. Last night was a bunch of fail.

Was there any failure about last night?

The problem lies within the unpredictability of the storms. Storms can go any which way at any time. There wasn't actually any tornados sighted last night. The NWS uses velocity maps like posted on page 2 looking for cloud rotation. as soon as cloud rotation is spotted the horns blow.

So, are you saying that the warning system in place is as good as it can get? I understand that storms are unpredictable, so I wouldn't be so naive as to demand perfection. But I'd think the system in place is a bit too flawed.

So, are you saying that the warning system in place is as good as it can get? I understand that storms are unpredictable, so I wouldn't be so naive as to demand perfection. But I'd think the system in place is a bit too flawed.

I mean, i suppose they could figure out a way to make the sirens more localized. there really isnt predicting any tornados that already arent on the ground.

I mean, i suppose they could figure out a way to make the sirens more localized. there really isnt predicting any tornados that already arent on the ground.

Yeah, I was thinking - as I layed awake in bed at 2:30am - that they might divide the county into quadrants and have the sirens sound on a quandrant (versus a county-wide) basis. Of course, that has flaws too: a tornado could be literally a mile from your house (and headed your direction) but, because you live on the other side of the quadrant dividing line, the sirens don't go off in your quadrant. Maybe then the solution is a "rolling" warning area, wherein the system is wired so that all sirens within x amount of miles of a tornado sighting (or the extreme wind conditions/rotation or whatever) go off.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here.

this is why I live in the country can't hear no sirens here:p

They installed a siren at the end of my street not long ago. Had my window open, windy then the rain. I was playing Fallout, so the sirens really made me jump. I counted them going off 3 times in a span of twenty or so minutes.

This explains why our sirens were going off before storm got here. Everyone was posting times and I am thinking Licking county sirens went off before 3am.

Maybe franklin county just Failed.

i slept threw the entire thing.. woke up an saw everyone crying about sirins going off..

huh i guess sex can put you into a coma.

hope all you fuckers are tired i slept good :D

Awe guys! Paul lost his virginity last night!

It dumped a ton of rain which flooded most of Nelsonville (I pass through that town daily on the way to Athens) One or two more days of rain and it'll definitely cover the highways and damage houses.

Maybe it'll make Nelsonville look better.

Not gonna lie, I was worried more than usual last night. When I opened my front door to the porch, I watched the flag pole get ripped from the railing and there were some eerie-ass howling noises.

10 minutes later, Columbus channels reporting the 100mph gusts through my part of Licking. That flag pole lasted through the sustained 80mph winds a couple Summers ago (leftover of whatever hurricane that was).

/\it was Ike. Started my current job the next day. That sucked. Driving around in it was really fun though.

i was at mid ohio when that started to blow through..fun times...driving home was fabulous, traffic barrels were moving across the freeway...it was like a auto x track!