tressel's ass is going to be really sore

russian rocket

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/The-NCAA-formally-submits-its-case-against-Jim-T?urn=ncaaf-wp952

NCAA formally charges Jim Tressel with lies, coverup of OSU violations

By Matt Hinton

Initially, before coach Jim Tressel was outed for essentially lying to his bosses and the NCAA, it looked like Ohio State was getting off kind of easy. In exchange for OSU's cooperation, the NCAA was willing to play good cop. It could have suspended five ineligible players who allegedly sold and/or bartered memorabilia to a local tattoo shop for the Sugar Bowl, but it didn't. It could have declared all five players retroactively ineligible and stricken all eleven Buckeye wins in 2010 from the books, along with their share of the Big Ten title, but it didn't. It could have gone after Ohio State the way it went after USC, in search of bowl bans and significant scholarship losses, but it didn't. In the wake of the sledgehammer that fell on the Trojans last summer, the punishment for Ohio State — a straightforward five-game suspension for four of the offending players to start the 2011 season, games the Buckeyes are likely to win, anyway — seemed minimal, perfunctory. Which is one of the reasons it made so many people so angry, or confused, or both.

That, of course, was before Tressel's long-running, deliberate coverup of the violations saw the light of day, and before it became clear that the NCAA — and possibly the higher-ups at Ohio State themselves — had been misled by one of the most respected men in the profession. What cooperation will buy you in leniency, deception will buy in retribution, and the NCAA began to extract its pound of flesh Friday with an official notice of allegations to the university.

It makes three allegations of "potential major violations," specifically:

• That, between November 2008 and May 2010, multiple student-athletes received preferential treatment and "sold institutionally issued athletics awards, apparel and equipment to Edward Rife, owner of a local tattoo parlor," adding up to more than $13,000 in cash, free tattoos, a loan and a discount on a used car one of the players bought from Rife.

• Under the same heading, that Tressel "knew or should have known" that at least two players had made inappropriate transactions with Rife, per a credible email tipster, but "he failed to report information to athletics administration and, as a result, permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition while ineligible."

• That, as reported by the university, Tressel "failed to deport himself in accordance with the honest and integrity normally associated with the conduct and administration of intercollegiate athletics as required by NCAA legislation and violated ethical-conduct legislation" by failing to report emails alerting him to violations, withholding the information for months, allowing possibly ineligible players to play for the entire season and "falsely attest[ing] that he reported to the institution any knowledge of NCAA violations" when he signed a compliance form last September.

So the other shoe falls, and the shoe is a bomb. Collateral damage TBA.

Per standard procedure, Ohio State has 90 days to reply to the allegations by substantially agreeing or disagreeing with the findings (with copious documentation either way), after which it will appear in front of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, which will hand down a verdict and sentencing, which will then be appealed, etc. The NCAA is moving fast on this, for the NCAA, but it almost certainly isn't going to get around to additional sanctions before the start of the season in September, and — assuming Ohio State appeals anything that threatens to inflict real pain — certainly won't get around to enforcement until well into 2012. The scenario for 2011 is the same: Tressel and four offensive starters remain sidelined for the first five games, and will return in mid-October with another Big Ten championship squarely in their sights. A full recruiting class will sign on next February.

Beyond that, though, whatever spoils the Buckeyes take in 2011 may be their last in a long while: Vacated wins, a postseason ban and possible scholarship restrictions are very much on the table, as is Tressel's job, arguably the safest seat in college football at the start of the year. It certainly doesn't help the case that Tressel seems to have informed everyone except Ohio State or the NCAA about what he knew as early as last April: New documents obtained by the Columbus Dispatch show that Tressel — in addition to his extended correspondence with tipster Christopher Cicero and quarterback Terrelle Pryor's hometown "mentor" back in Pennsylvania, which we already knew — Tressel also called an FBI agent within days of Cicero's first email alerting him to players' involvement in a federal drug investigation. Altogether, Tressel sent dozens of emails, phone calls and text messages to Cicero and the "mentor," Ted Sarniak, whom he called within hours of Cicero's first email.

Among the people Tressel appears to have had no contact with about the violations, according to the records: Athletic director Gene Smith, OSU president Gordon Gee or anyone in the Ohio State compliance office. I'm just guessing, but that doesn't seem like the kind of commitment to "confidentiality" that's going to hold up in front of the Infractions Committee. Not this time.

- - -

Matt Hinton is on Twitter: Follow him @DrSaturday.

Related: Ohio State Buckeyes, Big Ten, Law & Order: NCAA, Ohio State Buckeyes, Jim Tressel

For Speilman to say that he could see this being the end of the road for Tressel is a HUGE deal. Then to go on to infer OSU should consider firing Tressel to prevent deeper sanctions....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6425980

Not only is it Tress's @ss at this point, but Gee and Smith had better be looking over their shoulders as well.

Fuck the NCAA is what I think. Their an unbelievably powerful organization, only because colleges allow them to be. I don't care what Tressel did, apart from the lying.

What I read was the NCAA is looking at OSU as a repeat violator because of Troy Smith and the Basketball player's family that was given $6k. I would think no bowl game and scholarships will be cut.

IF they are labeled as a repeat offender then they will get hit hard. But the stuff I read from OSU "insiders" says there's "ZERO" chance of that happening. They also said people inside the program were "ecstatic" regarding this Notice of Allegations. Nothing new. No lack of institutional control. No failure to monitor. The media is obviously eating this up right now (and won't stop for a looooooong time) but most people who actually know what they're talking about are still pretty confident there won't be any major sanctions tacked on.

IF they are labeled as a repeat offender then they will get hit hard. But the stuff I read from OSU "insiders" says there's "ZERO" chance of that happening. They also said people inside the program were "ecstatic" regarding this Notice of Allegations. Nothing new. No lack of institutional control. No failure to monitor. The media is obviously eating this up right now (and won't stop for a looooooong time) but most people who actually know what they're talking about are still pretty confident there won't be any major sanctions tacked on.

Good to know.

I still don't understand the problem with selling their own stuff. It sucks but they won it!

Tattoo's VS $250k (Yeah, you Cam Newton)

BS. Tressel you shouldn't have lied but I am still standing with you brotato.

I still don't understand the problem with selling their own stuff. It sucks but they won it!

Tattoo's VS $250k (Yeah, you Cam Newton)

BS. Tressel you shouldn't have lied but I am still standing with you brotato.

It would be a way around making sure college players don't get paid to play. The university just has to give them something and a booster would buy it for whatever amount. If they sold something that they owned before they were an OSU star (for fair market value) then we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's all about making sure they do not profit from being a college football player.

These guys have a few years they need to keep their noses clean. Make it to the draft and there will be more money than they know what to do with. These guys are fucking around with a successful program over less than $10k worth of crap. In a couple years they will be able wipe their asses with $1000 bills. Right now they can't afford to buy shit for themselves .... they get a college education for free, and pretty much all the pussy they can handle. Sounds like a dream to me. And when that dream is over they make millions playing in the pros.

It would be a way around making sure college players don't get paid to play. The university just has to give them something and a booster would buy it for whatever amount. If they sold something that they owned before they were an OSU star (for fair market value) then we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's all about making sure they do not profit from being a college football player.

These guys have a few years they need to keep their noses clean. Make it to the draft and there will be more money than they know what to do with. These guys are fucking around with a successful program over less than $10k worth of crap. In a couple years they will be able wipe their asses with $1000 bills. Right now they can't afford to buy shit for themselves .... they get a college education for free, and pretty much all the pussy they can handle. Sounds like a dream to me. And when that dream is over they make millions playing in the pros.

Thats the point exactly, this isn't worth 10k. So if its only stuff they had before they started college, what is stopping the NCAA from hunting student athletes down for selling their books after a course is completed? Boosters could just 'buy their books' for a few Bills.

It's all about making sure they do not profit from being a college football player.

in this it's taken a bit too far. who gives a shit. the mere fact that they own the property they are accused of selling means they profited. who gave them the stuff anyway?

What if your say... Chris Leach the QB whom beat OSU in the national title and you never make it in the pros, and Florida and the NCAA profit on your images in video games, tv broadcasting ect...You believe that is fair?

Is it also reasonable to believe that many of these kids have families that can not give them "fun" money like all there class mates...So they do with what they have to.

They dont all make it to the pros, and they SHOULD be able to recoup some of the funds they earn for the university beyond a free degree.

The NCAA is a monopoly no different then ATT in the early 90's, Mircosoft, ect, they have illegal control of economic factors with the market of college sports, its only a matter of time till enough former star college athletes get together and start filling lawsuits...Actually there are already several and in which are on their way to the supreme court. The NCAA is honestly diminishing the value of collegiate sports...For the players/students, to the market itself. And that ass hole choad from Washington who is the new director just gave himself a fat raise to nearly 9 million a year...Sounds like a non-profit like the holy cross in the early 90's where 80 % of its revenue went to salaries and marketing...It is so corrupt it makes congress look like a bunch of arch angels.

Everyone seemed calm about it today at the woody. I actually didn't hear anything about it till I got home from my roomate.

I decided while sitting behind the defense at the spring game that I'm getting a custom #44 jersey made.

Thats the point exactly, this isn't worth 10k. So if its only stuff they had before they started college, what is stopping the NCAA from hunting student athletes down for selling their books after a course is completed? Boosters could just 'buy their books' for a few Bills.

It depends on who bought their books in the first place. If they bought their books and sold them for fair market value like any other student then they don't profit. No problem. If they were bought with scholarship money then most likely they are not allowed to sell the books at any price.

Just remember only 1 or two players will get big money in the NFL, what are the other guys supposed to do?

Ummmm, take their free college education and their wild college memories and go get a job like the rest of us?

All this goes to definitions. The NCAA rules that professional athletes are not eligible to compete in college sports. I don't think anyone would argue that this is a bad idea. If you allow pros at the college level then the university with the biggest wallet wins all the championships.

So, how do you differentiate pro vs. amateur? My guess is they define a pro as someone who profits from their athlete status.

Everyone is pissed at Tressel. These players knew the rules and thought they were above them. Once they graduate they are allowed to profit in any way they want. As long as they are a student they are not allowed to otherwise they are a professional. They knew the rules, they broke them.

Then there is this dickhead lawyer who put Tressel in this situation. If it's a big deal, then report it directly to the NCAA. Why go tattle to him about his players and force him to be the bad guy and report them? Cause he's a dick, that's why. My guess is Tressel knows each of these players personally and thinks very highly of them. He's probably cares a great deal about them and wants them to succeed. So, he made a mistake. He tried to cover for them by not reporting them. That's where this whole thing got started.

My only question was his motivation for not reporting and lying. If he did it for himself and his record then he looses my respect. If he did it for the players then he earns more respect than he had before. Chances are I'll never get a straight answer to that question.

What if your say... Chris Leach the QB whom beat OSU in the national title and you never make it in the pros, and Florida and the NCAA profit on your images in video games, tv broadcasting ect...You believe that is fair?

Is it also reasonable to believe that many of these kids have families that can not give them "fun" money like all there class mates...So they do with what they have to.

They dont all make it to the pros, and they SHOULD be able to recoup some of the funds they earn for the university beyond a free degree.

The NCAA is a monopoly no different then ATT in the early 90's, Mircosoft, ect, they have illegal control of economic factors with the market of college sports, its only a matter of time till enough former star college athletes get together and start filling lawsuits...Actually there are already several and in which are on their way to the supreme court. The NCAA is honestly diminishing the value of collegiate sports...For the players/students, to the market itself. And that ass hole choad from Washington who is the new director just gave himself a fat raise to nearly 9 million a year...Sounds like a non-profit like the holy cross in the early 90's where 80 % of its revenue went to salaries and marketing...It is so corrupt it makes congress look like a bunch of arch angels.

Something tells me Chris Leach will be okay. He'll end up making more money somewhere than another guy with the same qualifications. If he's not good enough to make it in the pros then he gets my condolences and my sincere hope that he studied in the classes he took.

I agree about the "fun money". My understanding is players used to be able to have jobs to earn that money. Unfortunately many of the players and boosters took advantage of that loophole. I've heard stories about Galbraith "hiring" players to work for the summer on his ranch. They picked up a paycheck, but never showed up to work. As with any governing body when a loophole becomes glaringly obvious the NCAA had no choice but to either sanction it, or close the loophole.

I don't disagree entirely with what you're saying. I think sometimes the NCAA does go too far. Requiring self reporting? Fuck you, run your own damn investigations. I also hold no respect for politicians, and at this point the NCAA is about politics, not sports.

I just get sick of hearing how rough these kids have it in college. If I'm going to feel bad about any of them it'll be the kids without scholarships.

should middle school and high school players get paid to since the schools profit off of them?

here is the way i look at it, you are playing a game that you want to play, not one that you are being forced to play. you get a free college education thats probably worth 80K+. if you make it to the pros, you are pretty much set for life. if you dont make it, then guess what, your no different than the rest of us and now you have to go find a job but hell you can use that free education you got to get a job. the only difference between college athletes who dont make it big and the rest of us is that they played a sport after class and the rest of us went to work.

I decided while sitting behind the defense at the spring game that I'm getting a custom #44 jersey made.

Lol with "Chode Boy" on the back.

It was fun cause I hadn't seen my jersey yet, just the practice ones we we're wearing. Pretty cool experience.

should middle school and high school players get paid to since the schools profit off of them?

here is the way i look at it, you are playing a game that you want to play, not one that you are being forced to play. you get a free college education thats probably worth 80K+. if you make it to the pros, you are pretty much set for life. if you dont make it, then guess what, your no different than the rest of us and now you have to go find a job but hell you can use that free education you got to get a job. the only difference between college athletes who dont make it big and the rest of us is that they played a sport after class and the rest of us went to work.

Hi, I jump to extremes in an attempt to prove/disprove a point.