Have 28k, want a 4 door with some power

Diamonds

What would you recommend?

I have been toying with the idea of like an 07 A8... a 535i..... or an infiniti m45.

I want some decent power. I could look at something as high as 30 if it "moved me".

Big, 4 door, powerful. Might consider a c6 vette if i test drive one (which is the opposite side of the spectrum.

Here is what I've looked at.

07 A8

07 gs350

07 infiniti m35

06 vette

06 cl55 amg

07 750 BMW

06 535i

07 Rover (wierd i know)

Id really like to find a 05+ M5 or a 07+ Lex LS460.

Am i missing anything? is there anything else i should look at considering now you have a snapshot of my taste (4 door with power)?

all opinions welcome.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote is for the M45, you seem to lean towards the larger end of cars, and it's big and fun.

The A8 will not "move out" except maybe from a dig. It has authority, but it's no sports car and has a very linear power curve. If you want all out luxury, It's the winner obviously, and an amazing winter car.

We've had 2 Q45's and both were exceptional vehicles which took literally nothing but oil changes. Feels a bit more lively thanks to RWD IMO. :lolguy:

• Upvote 1

I don't know how you would consider a vette a 5 door but if your driving that one you should drive an s2000 and a 350z or g35.

My parents had an 05? M45 - I think that was the year- the older body style- that thing was FAST for what it was- handled really well also for such a big car- It was ridiculous in the snow though- it didn't even have a limited slip differential and they must have been summer only tires... warped the rotors in under 25K miles and infiniti dealer wanted a lot for routine maintenance under 30K- but other than that it was cool- they did lose a lot on resale though as it depreciated a lot. So I guess the only good thing about it was the performance ;-)

Our '08 Acura RL is not as fast (I don't believe so but it's been a few years) but is a much better car and I would argue it would outhandle it with its AWD and "sporty" suspension. We drove the GS350 as well and it was a really nice car but they wanted a premium over the RL without the same level of excitement it was sort of like sitting on my couch and watching myself drive on tv- very detached.... I did like the 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty they were going to give us on an 08 with 20K miles.

I wont drive german cars so that takes most of the rest of your list off for me.

Considering some of the other cars on your list, it might be worth it to at least look at an '05-'07 Jaguar Super V-8 or XJR.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/fd_2005-jaguar-xj8-super-v8_lead1.jpg

The Super V8 is my preference. These cars were 100k new but their values plummet the first five years. I think they are really undervalued. They are fairly rare and good examples can be found for 30k. Supercharged 4.2 V8 with 400 hp, over 400 torque, lots of wood and leather.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/sedans/112_0710_2008_jaguar_super_v8_luxury_sedans_comparison/index.html

Here's an extra clean '05 that can probably be purchased for 20-22k. Pics show you the great interior detail & design. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINT-SUPER-EIGHT-XEN-NAV-DVD-XM-WARRTY-TRADES-FREE-SHIP-/200600095895?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb4b28c97

Edited by Doc

I like the 335i suggestion above. If the newer CTS-V could be had in that price range that's what I'd personally go for, but I doubt they're that low already. If the C6 survives the first few cuts, hold out for an '08-up with the LS3.

hell for 28K, he could get a GXP. 430 hp, 6 speed manual.

True but finding one may be difficult as not many were made to begin with. I would agree get a GXP over a GT but in all honestly the GT is still a hell of a car with nice size and tons of performance and is honestly headers and tune away from matching the GXP in performance. Get some Brembo's from a 5th gen Camaro and you have better brakes too.

I've never been impressed with the G8 personally. Maybe it's just mr, but the interior seemed cheap, and I wasn't impressed with the ride. If it were to be a RWD, V8 powered sedan, I'd go 300C SRT8 all day long. It maybe big, but drives great. The power, ride quality, and interior are nicer than any G8.

Granted, the 335i seems to be some great bang for buck.