Cobra guys

2highpsi

I just picked up an 03 10th Anniversary Cobra

(question below)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/cobra.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/interior.jpg

No idea on the history of the car. I bought it at auction.

My main question is what the hell could this extra wiring be for by the maf?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/maf.jpg

It runs to here....

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/wires.jpg

Here is the rest of the engine, if you see anything else out of place. I know it has a 2.8 upper pulley, and thats about the extent that I know...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/engine.jpg

Thanks in advance

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard to tell without seeing it in person. There was likely some blower work. I can't see most of the main stuff (end of the intake, lower, etc...).

The wiring is completely random. They could have been running a multitude of things from there (nitrous, sound system, whatever).

I will say that it is/was a switch for the intercooler pump. The relay is in the box that the wires come from. Most of us drag racers will use a jumper wire to run the pump after loading the intercooler box with ice. The switch would allow the pump to circulate while the car isn't on.

I will say that it is/was a switch for the intercooler pump. The relay is in the box that the wires come from. Most of us drag racers will use a jumper wire to run the pump after loading the intercooler box with ice. The switch would allow the pump to circulate while the car isn't on.

That's a pretty good possibility, it would help if we could see the overflow too. I'm a little confused why they pulled the switch out but left the random wiring and box in place.

definitely a 'pump jumper' to run the intercooler pump and cool the ic fluid while sitting in the staging lanes with the car off. looks like some of the vacuum lines to the back of the blower (red tubing) have been replaced---make sure there's no vacuum leaks going into the blower. get the car tuned to make sure the tune is proper. welcome to the party pal.

just got my cobra back from getting a race-ready automatic transmission installed.

Thanks Dave and Kirk, that makes sense

Yeh it is mainly going to be a weekend car, but I am sure it will see the strip.

The rear tires are also 315s... It almost looks ridiculous. I think they are too big for the rim

Any suggestions who I should take it to that knows these cars well enough to go over it, and also that could tune it?

More random pics:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/rearend.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/pulley.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/rightside.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/lowerpulleys.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jordancampbell2008/intake.jpg

WTF!!!!

Just looked under the car....

Solid rear axel...

Should I be happy or pissed

Pics coming

happy. a properly set up solid rear will outperform the stock IRS. problem is, most jsut get a junkyard solid rear out of a GT, and upgrade the axles only.

my solid rear handles much beter than the original IRS. of course, my car has a fully built, completely 'new parts' solid rear with all maximum motorsports stuff (lower ca's, panhard bar, torque arm, etc.). either way, the solid rear eliminates wheel hop, and drops over 100lbs off the car's weight

The car has a lower pulley on it as well!!! Blower might be ported too. I sent a PM with some info.

It also appears that you have the stock stamped upper control arms and probably have the stock stamped lowers as well. Need to get better ones to help with possible flexing of those under that torque load.

6lb lower, 2.8 upper with a ported eaton? Should be a fun little car. Almost finished with some upgrades on my car, just in time for me to make a road trip up there. Welcome to the fun ;)

definitely a 'pump jumper' to run the intercooler pump and cool the ic fluid while sitting in the staging lanes with the car off. looks like some of the vacuum lines to the back of the blower (red tubing) have been replaced---make sure there's no vacuum leaks going into the blower. get the car tuned to make sure the tune is proper. welcome to the party pal.

just got my cobra back from getting a race-ready automatic transmission installed.

:yuno: Y he no have better intercooler reservoir?

The car has a lower pulley on it as well!!! Blower might be ported too. I sent a PM with some info.

It also appears that you have the stock stamped upper control arms and probably have the stock stamped lowers as well. Need to get better ones to help with possible flexing of those under that torque load.

I have some maximum motorsports upper and lowers for sale if you want to upgrade

6lb lower, 2.8 upper with a ported eaton? Should be a fun little car. Almost finished with some upgrades on my car, just in time for me to make a road trip up there. Welcome to the fun ;)

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look to be a 6lb lower. Maybe 2 or 4. Pulley doesn't look big enough, but it's not easy to tell from that angle. Maybe he can measure the diameter of the pulley and we would know from that.

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look to be a 6lb lower. Maybe 2 or 4. Pulley doesn't look big enough, but it's not easy to tell from that angle. Maybe he can measure the diameter of the pulley and we would know from that.

From seeing 4 lb pulleys so much, it looks like a 4 to me. It is really hard to tell from that angle.

The reservoir was probably removed and sold with the controller. Judging by what the car does have, I'd say it had more that was parted out before it was auctioned. I would definitely suspect a ported blower though due to the fact that it's painted, upper/lower, and some type of intake from the engine bay pics. Wheels aren't the correct 10th Anniversary wheels, but all the interior pieces appear to be there. Looks to be lowered, solid rear is obvious, possibly a gear since a solid axle was added.

Looks like a clean car, what's the milage?

yeah, just seeing the pics now. you need to get billetflow idlers for the blower belt, with the snub idler---those look like the stockers, which have been known to grenade in stock form, let alone with a bigger lower pulley to spin them faster. the snub idler will also help eliminate belt slip at high rpms. if the car has anything more than a 2lb lower pulley, then you need to make sure the alternator pulley has been swapped to a larger pulley as well---to prevent over-spinning the alternator.

get some better control arms for the rear end, especially if you're going to the track---check out maximum motorsports. if you're concerned about the stock rims fitting 315 tires, then buy two 10.5" cobra replica wheels---they will look like the stock 9" wheels, and will fit the 315's just fine, which is at least the size tire you'll need. the wheels should cost $160 apeice. if the car is an upper/lower/ported car, you're probably sitting at 500-525rwhp with a good tune, depending on the port. my car laid down as much as 505 rwhp with an upper pulley and a ported blower, before i went with the bigger blower.

dynotune brian will be more than happy to do an excellent job on your car. not sure if rob lasota is still around, but he knows these cars pretty well and can probably look the car over.

One more thought. It looks to have the stock injectors. Hopefully it has a BAP. It might need a maf extender as well. Definitely need to get it on a dyno and logged to be sure that it has a decent tune.

+1

i personally wouldn't push the car too hard without knowing the tune is safe. many of these cars have been through several different combinations, and if the car was parted out before it was sold, it might not have been retuned---why would you go through the trouble of dyno-tuning a car that you were just going to send to auction??

the stock injectors won't be enough for an upper/lower/ported car. i had to switch to 60lber's when i ported my blower.

Car has 80k on it.

All of the 10th anniversary stuff is intact except the wheels, as pointed out.

I have been doing some googling for the past hour, and I think I found the guy who owned the car from when it was new, until 2 years ago.

The past two years it sat in a garage. with only 5 miles being put on it.

This could really help, unless parts have ganked over the last 2 years.

Also, I haven't got on it yet in fear of not being tuned.

I barely got the 1/2 throttle and the factory boost guage was well beyond pegged. Tried to keep it in closed loop since.

yeah, i'd wait to get it tuned to make sure you don't grenade it. join svtperformance, and modularfords. tons, tons of info on both sites