Myrtle, Surfside, or Outer Banks area?

nurkvinny

Just got back from the Outer banks last weekend. Lots of sites to see, shops to visits, resturants. Seems more family orriented than alot of beach locations I have visited so that might be a bonus? I plan on going back within the coming years when its warmer, it only hit 85 once when we where down so a little to cold to get out in the water for long periods of time. But still had a blast!

Don't go to dicks crab house way overpriced and not even that good.

If you haven't experienced Ocracoke, you owe it to yourself. The kids may not be as "entertained" as they would be at Nags Head or Hatteras, but it's a wonderful place, plenty of history, good nightlife and daytime activities, and, if the kids have to have putt-putt and waterslides, Buxton and Hatteras are just a ferry ride away.

Online reviews will be helpful if you decide to go. I stay in a private beachhouse when I'm there.

If you haven't experienced Ocracoke, you owe it to yourself. The kids may not be as "entertained" as they would be at Nags Head or Hatteras, but it's a wonderful place, plenty of history, good nightlife and daytime activities, and, if the kids have to have putt-putt and waterslides, Buxton and Hatteras are just a ferry ride away.

Online reviews will be helpful if you decide to go. I stay in a private beachhouse when I'm there.

I am thinking I want to do this next time, I feel i missed out for sure. As for hotels not really sure how much they will run you, there are not a ton of hotels to choose from either mostly beachhouses, thats what we stayed in but not sure how many 'family' sized ones they have, they tend to be more mansion sized haha.

Emerald Isle is on the Bogue Banks, not part of the Outer Banks.

But I admit, I've never been there. I spent a lot of time on the Core Banks (primitive, no public transports), which is between them.

What's the attraction to Emerald Isle? I thought it was mostly private homes, not much in attractions.

This might be worth a trip.

I like Myrtle, and I got here every year for bike week. It is more family oriented. Broadway at the beach is great and they have the Riplies believe it or not aquarium, that I'm sure the kids will like, and also they have a few amusement parks right on the beach and a lot of things to see for the adults. Try out Margaritaville over there and get the Vulcano natcos. Good eat. Outer Banks is cool, but Myrtle is better in my opinion and has more things to see. I dont care much for Surfside.

I actually enjoy the quiet areas like Emerald Isle and Topsail Island. They certainly aren't "touristy" like Myrtle, but if all you're looking for is a relaxing time near the beach, where the kids can play to their hearts' content, then a beach house on either of those islands is the place to go. I take that sort of stuff for granted a lot of times though since I've lived within 20 minutes of Topsail for the last 5 years.

We went to Surfside SC couple years ago. Absolutely best vacation we could have. The prices were decent. The people were extremely nice. It didnt have that North Myrtle feel to it. It was mainly families.

If you like doing the random exploring I would check out

Atalaya Castle I think it was 10 dollars per adult to get in to the state park and the castle tour was like 1 dollar per person.

http://www.huntingtonbeachstatepark.com/Atalaya.htm

After seeing the castle and reading the signs around it will tell you about the sculptures that the people who owned the castle built they are right down the road at

http://www.brookgreen.org/

Brookgreen has a few things that we really liked. The statues and the gardens were amazing. It also has a native species zoo as well. The zoo feels more personal you are pretty close to some of the animals.

I would compare Brookgreen to Dawes Arberetum except for the fact that Brookgreen makes Dawes look like a pile of crap.

If you decide on Surfside feel free to send me a PM I can send you a bunch more information.

I stay in the 4x4 only area in the far north outer banks alot. Lots of fun and there's a great steamer pot restaurant near there.

I'm shooting wedding in mrytle in a few weeks. I don't like it as well though.

Check out Bald Head Island sometime. The island is for people that like to lay around and do nothing while on vacation. You take a ferry over and drive around in golf carts the whole time (no gas powered automobiles allowed, save service vehicles). My family has gone there for the last decade. Its really an awesome place.

I frequent garden city to visit family. The apache pier is one of my favs. They have a bar out at the end with live music friday/saturday. I dont know how old your boys are but there are a ton of putt putt places, nascar cafe w/carts, ripleys aquarium. I think the pavillion is still there with most of the rides.

Born and raised in Kitty Hawk. Too many people there in summer now, I like to go in late September or early October - great weather, no people. Still lots of family down there, tho. Kill Devil Grill has great seafood and steaks, but gets busy early.

Emerald Isle is on the Bogue Banks, not part of the Outer Banks.

But I admit, I've never been there. I spent a lot of time on the Core Banks (primitive, no public transports), which is between them.

What's the attraction to Emerald Isle? I thought it was mostly private homes, not much in attractions.

This might be worth a trip.

Not a lot of touristy stuff. Its more of just a chill, relax and enjoy the calm beach type of place. We always rented a condo at Pebble Beach which has access to the beach. There is also a civil war fort on the isle (Fort Macon) which is worth a visit.