Help needed, using tv as monitor

wnaplay1647545503

VGA cords are super cheap, like, less than five bucks. Just plug in the cable to the computer and tv and you'll have to make sure the output resolution is set to the same as what the TV displays (I don't think you can raise/lower the resolution like on a computer monitor?). Got a model# or something for your TV?

Yes, a blue one. How much is the cable(hdmi on other end?)? How would the picture look using this kind of hook-up?

vga doesnt convert into hdmi because hdmi supports audio whereas vga does not.

youd need vga to vga and picture would be okay. it wouldnt be hi def but it would be good for whatever you needed.

brian... cheap my ass.. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0262581

they go for 40-60$ depending on what kind you get.

id sell you mine for 20, ive seriously used it like twice

VGA cords are super cheap, like, less than five bucks. Just plug in the cable to the computer and tv and you'll have to make sure the output resolution is set to the same as what the TV displays. Got a model# or something for your TV?

Have yet to get a tv, but its going to be something fairly small. I was thinking of a 32" but might get something smaller. When its being used for a computer monitor, I will be at regular viewing distance so I wont need to read small print across a room or anything, but when its used as a tv I want to be able to see it from 7' away.

vga doesnt convert into hdmi because hdmi supports audio whereas vga does not.

youd need vga to vga and picture would be okay. it wouldnt be hi def but it would be good for whatever you needed.

brian... cheap my ass.. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0262581

they go for 40-60$ depending on what kind you get.

id sell you mine for 20, ive seriously used it like twice

So I need to find a tv that also has a vga connection? Are these(tv with vga) hard to find new these days?

AHHHH....

So.... you are wanting to OBTAIN a TV to use as a Monitor!

:D

KillJoy

Yes, we have remodeled the room we use to have all our office stuff in, and now I plan on getting a small tv to hang on a wall swivel mount(as the monitor) but I also want to be able to watch tv from it. Do newer computer monitors have the capability of having cable ran to them, or an adapter to make this possible, or am I going to have to go the original tv/monitor route?

Yes, we have remodeled the room we use to have all our office stuff in, and now I plan on getting a small tv to hang on a wall swivel mount(as the monitor) but I also want to be able to watch tv from it. Do newer computer monitors have the capability of having cable ran to them, or an adapter to make this possible, or am I going to have to go the original tv/monitor route?

Well, I have seen tv THROUGH the PC via a TV Tuner Card. Resolutions for "normal" TV suck on a PC. However, if you get a LCD, I do not know.

KillJoy

Well, I have seen tv THROUGH the PC via a TV Tuner Card. Resolutions for "normal" TV suck on a PC. However, if you get a LCD, I do not know.

KillJoy

NO. standard lcd computer monitors do NOT have a cable input. they come with dvi, vga, and sometimes HDMI

BTW use a dvi to hdmi converter instead of vga, not only is it a digital connection, but it also carries your audio signal negating the need for extra wires carrying audio.

Better yet, buy a $250 Acer Apire Revo (smaller than a Wii) plus a windows media center remote. Install XBMC on the Revo and have a dedicated media PC for your TV (comes with HDMI) thats capable of 1080P that you can control with a remote and even watch youtube. Then run your movies from its internal HDD, a thumbdrive, or do like I do and network it allowing it to pull movies, music, photos from any computer on your network! This is the best option....