Are 94-04 4.0 -- Good First Cars?

Brendon

My old roommate's S10 had 320,000 miles on it and ran like a champ. But dude, you're looking for a first car.. Odds are you're gonna destroy the fuckin thing anyways. Buy a cheap turd that just plain runs. It'll build character, and later in life you can be all like "yeah man I remember that little Sex10.. I boned so many whores in the back of that thing. Remember Ricky? The dude who wrecked his Mustang and I pulled him out of a ditch that Winter? yeah I boned his girl a few days later" etc

My old roommate's S10 had 320,000 miles on it and ran like a champ. But dude, you're looking for a first car.. Odds are you're gonna destroy the fuckin thing no matter what you buy anyways

You're right. What about this one then?

94-98 V6 mustangs had a 140 hp 3.8L V6 that had head gasket issues

the 99-04's had a 3.8/3.9 that made some thing like 18x something horse and like 195 for the 3.9.

a buddy of mine had an 04 with the "performance" pack which meant like dual exaust and better gears from the factory, but it was still slower than my 3.8 firebird with 3.08 gears.

• Upvote 1

What year?

Any year. You're the one considering spending 4 grand on one of the worst mustangs ever. My mustang when I was 18 with liability and comprehensive listed as a leisure vehicle was $26 a month. My 96 z28 was $23 a month, and my 98 z28 is $130 a month full coverage. If you ever think of buying a v6 version for gas economy, you should be shot. The v6 cars are slow and have terrible economy in comparison with the v8 cars with more power. My ls1 gets 28 mpg highway and 17-22 in the city mixed driving, of course you hammer down and the gauge will drop at a decent rate.

• Upvote 1

Autotrader.com and also Cars.com is excellent search engines. Im currently looking for another Mustang which is going to be my 6banger DD car.

94 to 98 bodystyle is referred to as the S195 cars, dunno much about the 6 bangers except whats already been referred too up above. If you can find a 94 GT, they still had the 5.0 V8 engine so that could be very easily and cheap to mod/have fun with considering the massive aftermarket support for the Fox body 5.0.

99 to 04 are referred to as New Edge cars, the v6's were a 3.8 from 99 to 03 and mid year in 04 they changed to a 3.9 engine. Not a big difference, the 01 to 04 have a few quality issues ironed out that the 99 and 00's had. If looking at the 99 and 00 models, check the drivers manifold, they had a fairly good issue with water constantly leaking on them and causing potential warpage.

Far as insurance, call around, and find what you can afford BEFORE you get your heart set on a car. I've been looking for about 2 months for the 01 to 04 V6 Mustang that's going to replace my F150 but I am also extremely specific in my criteria of what I want.

Any questions or anything, sure lots of guys on here can help. I've owned a 99 Mustang Gt in the past and my current firebreather is a 06 GT so I've been around em them a while and know a decent bit.

• Upvote 1

hope and dreams.....hopes and dreams

Pimps and whores! Pimps and whores!

Seriously, I like the idea of a truck as your first car. Mine was a 1985 Cutlass Ciera Cruiser, station wagon. Loved that thing. Bitches in the back where a def plus.

• Upvote 1

Autotrader man. Great place to start looking at models/prices and then go to specific forums looking for info once you know what you want.

I suggest NOT getting a V6 mustang. Too many better performing cars for same or less money.

I stopped reading after this because its so damn true.

I had an 05 v6, the one that actually DID have the 4.0L (the 99-04 that you want came with the 3.8 still). It was automatic, and probably a better car for my grandma than me. Ford did a piss poor job on the v6 performance until 2011 and the new 3.7.

Speaking as a previous owner: Unless you REALLY want to have one of the most common cars on the road (with most of the drivers being dumbass bros or sorority girls), pick something else. If you can stand to be a little more boring visually, a manual v6 Accord from the early 2000s will be a faster, better handling car for about the same coin.

94 to 98 bodystyle is referred to as the S195 cars

They were actually referred to as the SN95s, with 05-09 being S197, and the current generation being S197-II.

New Edge cars (99-04) are technically the same as the SN95. Disregarding visual differences, the chassis are nearly exact replicas, and you can swap almost any part from a SN95 car to a New Edge.

S197-II does not share this characteristic, as the chassis was redesigned between '09 and '10.

Still don't buy one. I was serious about the Accord.

^ you dont know what you are talking about. Your post just said all V6 Accords came automatic... So if i go out to my driveway my Accord is going to magically change to auto over night.

Edit: He was talking about pre 2004's so he does know stuff! :)

Edited by codyh

^ you dont know what you are talking about. Your post just said all V6 Accords came automatic... So if i go out to my driveway my Accord is going to magically change to auto over night. SMH

No, I said all early 2000's Accords. IIRC they didn't have a V6 with a 6-speed til the new body style in 2004

I have a friend with a 2003 v6 manual, thats where I was getting my info from. There is also someone in my appt. parking garage who has the same body style in a manual. The v6 badge on the back is red if it's a manual transmission, afaik.

(Not an accord buff by any means, but Im positive these two cars are the same body style and both are stick).

dude get whatever you want, I'm just sayin..

You also have a full community here that'll help fix your shit or at least point you in the right direction.

I was also looking into getting something cheap that's decent, and fixing that up; but I really don't want to turn into some type of "money pit."

Any year. You're the one considering spending 4 grand on one of the worst mustangs ever. My mustang when I was 18 with liability and comprehensive listed as a leisure vehicle was $26 a month. My 96 z28 was $23 a month, and my 98 z28 is $130 a month full coverage. If you ever think of buying a v6 version for gas economy, you should be shot. The v6 cars are slow and have terrible economy in comparison with the v8 cars with more power. My ls1 gets 28 mpg highway and 17-22 in the city mixed driving, of course you hammer down and the gauge will drop at a decent rate.

That'd be a much better option for me (making payments). If I could possibly find any job, I would pay for it; without a doubt.