Hunting for a Ls1

Stoopid Hipster

For the Miata?

I don't know too much about them... but there were different ratios (trans) for different years so you might want to get one with longer (lower) gears. Might want to find a different (lower) rear diff ratio too (assuming the miata and current 4.3:1). I would just think with the torque and light chassis you won't need high gearing.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/manual_trans.htm

Please note I don't know how accurate any of this info is, just did a Google search.

Price is going to depend on mileage etc. If you are trying to stay cheap get a block and you can find stock heads etc because with high miles you are probably going to go through the motor anyway.

from some yards online you are looking at about 2000-2500 for ones with about 105k on them. I would call around to cantlys etc and see if they have any

For the Miata?

I don't know too much about them... but there were different ratios (trans) for different years so you might want to get one with longer (lower) gears.

Assuming he is going with a F-body motor/tranny (which would be by far the most common), the ratios are all the same in the tranny (of course different ratios between the manual [T56] and auto [4L60E]). Ratio differences were in the rear end. I believe the same goes for the GTO as well.

Assuming he is going with a F-body motor/tranny (which would be by far the most common), the ratios are all the same in the tranny (of course different ratios between the manual [T56] and auto [4L60E]). Ratio differences were in the rear end. I believe the same goes for the GTO as well.

GTO used the M12.

If I'm reading my links correct that's also assuming he gets an ls1 motor & trans combo. If he happens to get the trans separate he could get either an lt1 or ls1 trans which would possibly have different ratios correct?

If I'm reading my links correct that's also assuming he gets an ls1 motor & trans combo. If he happens to get the trans separate he could get either an lt1 or ls1 trans which would possibly have different ratios correct?

Bell housings don't match up. And only the 93 t56 has a different ratio.

Due to some engine improvements and such I'd stay away from 97 & 98 LS1 engines.

I paid $2100 for my 2000 LS1 w/ 64k Had PCM, all accessories and wiring harness.

If I had to do it all again I'd probably buy the engine and trans together. T56's are pretty salty.