New boat motor ready to fire up

Sam1647545489

Just to recap on what has happened so far. Went with a stock rebuild 355 sbc. With a 19* prop I was hitting low 50's. 21* got it to the upper 50's. Hit 60 once but whatever. I figure the motor was making 250-270hp. So now I got a set of Vortec heads that Brandon from IPS cleaned up. Did a gasket port on them. Then went with a bigger cam from comp. Flat tappet cam with matching lifters. 462/477 262/268. Did a Jegs 331 performer intake and a 600 double pumper holley carb. Swapped it over to an electric choke. Have to stick with the thunderbolt ignitions.:dumb: but whatever. Basically the rest of it is still the same as it came with the boat. I am hoping it makes 330-350hp. Matched with a 23* prop I hope to get in the upper 60's to 70 mph. Tomorrow I will fire it up for the first time and hope everything is good with no leaks. Will post details tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

It fired up today. Its sounds really healthy. I have some valve noise so I gotta go redo the lash on the push rods and I found a small oil leak on the front cover. Gonna seal that up tomorrow along with the valves and hopefully be on the water this weekend.