The AC Season is Here

Guest Hal

Ok guys, lots of ac related questions are popping up now that it's getting hot. It's difficult to diagnose a lot of issues without seeing them so info may be sparse. Please try to give as much information about your specific issue as possible about the issue so we can all help you out (i.e., does the clutch engage).

Please search this section for previously answered questions. A lot of times there is an answer already posted or at least a diagnostic path explained. If you're still drawing a blank, throw up the flag and let everyone know what's going on.

You should get your system evacuated and recharged so we know the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. A lot of times this will fix the issue.

Avoid putting sealer additives in the system, this will usually gum things up and end up causing problems down the road

Guest Spam
Should i "fill" the system before running my car? Rebuilt the motor and adding AC to the car. Was removed when i got it. Should i fill it first before running the car or leave it out for now?

Should i "fill" the system before running my car? Rebuilt the motor and adding AC to the car. Was removed when i got it. Should i fill it first before running the car or leave it out for now?

The system is empty. The clutch won't even engage. You'll need to have it evacuated and charged.

I had my '82 Chevy truck professionally converted to R-134 in 2007. The A/C compressor kicks on and off but it's only barely cooler than the outside air. Can I recharge it myself? The shop in Naples, FL that did the conversion said they were able to reuse the evaporator and condenser, just updated pressure switch, compressor, and some lines.

Not opposed to taking it somewhere to get it checked out...hasn't been serviced since '07...

I had my '82 Chevy truck professionally converted to R-134 in 2007. The A/C compressor kicks on and off but it's only barely cooler than the outside air. Can I recharge it myself? The shop in Naples, FL that did the conversion said they were able to reuse the evaporator and condenser, just updated pressure switch, compressor, and some lines.

Not opposed to taking it somewhere to get it checked out...hasn't been serviced since '07...

Best bet is to have it evacuated and then recharged. It's the simplest way to ensure that it has the correct amount of refrigerant.

Best bet is not to engage the compressor until charged - 134a does not move oil like R12 so in it's current state, all the oil is probably sitting in the bottom of the evaporator and the compressor will run "dry".

As stated, best bet is to evacuate & charge - just be sure the shop knows how to temp test for full charge as there is often some variance on a retrofit as far as charge capacity from R12 to R134a.

PM me Clay if you need more information...

The answer for most of these is to get the system professionally evacuated and recharged. Last time I had it done, I think it was $99. My suggestion would be to PM Derek (Turborust) to see if they have any A/C deals at NTB right now.

James, you'll be fine. Just do what Chris said and you shouldn't have any problems in the short term.

Guys I can get you taken care of after Tuesday of next week, our ac machine is down until then... prices will vary depending on amount of freon.. its usually listed under the hood on the car, if not we can look it up here. 232-8881

I have a vacum pump and a really nice set of manifold gauges for 134a

I would be happy to help some of you out if you'd like to evac and recharge your a/c

pm me and be prepared to bring beer

thanks

Dave

this will certainly be cheaper than ntb's pricing...lol