Timing

Sam1647545489

Put a light on it to make sure

Retarded will have rough idle and have no power

Advance will have no power till up top I think headers glow with one of them too

Hopefully someone will chime in with a deffinitive answer

Well I think the distributor is either broke or not working right. I cant ever find the mark with the light. So I adjust by ear, get it idling good and once I put a load on it, it begans to miss and it comes thru the exhaust. So I add alil and then it misses and comes thru the carb. I cant find a happy medium and then it over heated, nothing crazy, 200* but it usually runs 140*. So I shut it off. It backfired right before I did and had alil smoke coming from the carb. I tried to restart it after it cooled down and it ran alil rough. So I think the weights in the distributor either broke or are not working correctly. I still cant see the mark on the balancer with the light. Gonna try a new distributor tomorrow and re time and see if that fixes it. The one on the motor now is 22 yrs old so it might have let go.

you are tightening it back down once you think it sounds right, right? I know a lot of people like to leave them some what loose so they can adjust it and then wonder why it keeps going out of whack not realizing it's just turning a bit on them while they're revving it.

you are tightening it back down once you think it sounds right, right? I know a lot of people like to leave them some what loose so they can adjust it and then wonder why it keeps going out of whack not realizing it's just turning a bit on them while they're revving it.

Yes, I always do. I loosen it and adjust and once I get it where I want, I tighten immediatly.

I actually let a shop set it for me once and it did the same thing.