who knows about electric boxes?

Reed44

A friend of mine put in 9 outlets in my basement and wired it to a 20amp double pull breaker and we put it on the left side of the box. everything works but when i plugged in my lamp to try it out, it made that bulb look like a ufo or something. There seems to be 3 times as much power coming out the outlets. i dont have a voltmeter here to test it and they are normal 110 outlets with 12 gauge wire, any ideas whats going on?

Sounds like you have 220 going to that light. If a 2-pole was used whoever did it probably put the neutral and the hot wire under the breaker. If this is the case the neutral needs to be taken off that breaker and landed on the neutral bar. You only need a single pole breaker.

1-hot(black), 1-neutral(white), 1-ground(green or bare copper) = 110v

This is the reason why you dont let someone wire anything in your house unless you are certain they know what they are doing.

This is the reason why you dont let someone wire anything in your house unless you are certain they know what they are doing.

IE, call chad, give him cash, know its done right.

he wired up all the can lights/fan/new outlets/smoke detectors when i turned 2 bedrooms into 1, and did all the electrical in my kitchen after i gutted it, including extending 220 to the other side of the room for the oven

the man knows his shit

IE, call chad, give him cash, know its done right.

he wired up all the can lights/fan/new outlets/smoke detectors when i turned 2 bedrooms into 1, and did all the electrical in my kitchen after i gutted it, including extending 220 to the other side of the room for the oven

the man knows his shit

Thanks man! You're always looking out and I appreciate it.

OP Im fairly certain the problem is an easy fix. As long as all of the receptacles that you wired are wired correctly all that is needed is taking that white off the breaker and landing it where the others whites are at.

Simple do it yourself type stuff at this point.

Wow, sounds like a simple mistake, but seriously, electric is EASY to wire.

Black (hot) "Black on brass will save your ass"

White (neutral) Goes on silver screws

Copper (ground) Green screws

Black only goes on brass colored screws. Black is the only wire that goes to a circuit breaker and light switch.

White goes on the bus bar in the breaker box and white NEVER goes to a switch

NEVER connect wires together with wire nuts that are not in a handy box. All handy boxes in a basement (or anywhere) must be accessible. NEVER hide a connection or handy box behind drywall. Use drop ceilings or access panels to hide them.

EDIT: There are some exceptions such as using red wires for a 3-way switch. You can also use a white neutral wire as a hot black, BUT the person should make the white wire black with electrical tape or a sharpie.

Sounds like you have 220 going to that light. If a 2-pole was used whoever did it probably put the neutral and the hot wire under the breaker. If this is the case the neutral needs to be taken off that breaker and landed on the neutral bar. You only need a single pole breaker.

1-hot(black), 1-neutral(white), 1-ground(green or bare copper) = 110v

Thats what was wrong. Im glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for your help.