Hows the Caliber SRT-4?

TN94Z28

Ive never had a turboed car but I am considering getting rid of both my truck and car and getting like a 2008 SRT-4 that is a Caliber body, I wasnt a huge fan of the neon body but I really like the new one. Are they worth the money? and is there anything else out there for that kind of price of about $18,000 that is better? I love STI's but I'm not sure about the price differences when the SRT-4 is a lot newer for the same price as an older STI.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally wouldnt waste my money on the Dodge. Ive had Subarus and 4 WRX's and the build quality and overall performance of the Subaru is much better and not to forget you get AWD, that can be used year round. im currently driving a 05 Legacy GT and it gets the job done then some, Subaru's are great cars.

I have some friends that all they drive is Subaru's only one is really into the performance side but if I get a Subaru is it worth it to get an STI or just get a WRX?

depends on what you really want, the STI is a blast to drive and has all the bells and whistles that the WRX does not, personally if i was on the market i would be looking for an 07 limited with sunroof and leather seats. while i love the STI you can find plenty of modded WRX's that have similar performance of a stock STI for a reduction in price. but to answer your question i think the STI is worth it its getting the best Subaru has to offer in a car with 4 doors is comfy and extremely fun.

Ive never had a turboed car but I am considering getting rid of both my truck and car and getting like a 2008 SRT-4 that is a Caliber body, I wasnt a huge fan of the neon body but I really like the new one. Are they worth the money? and is there anything else out there for that kind of price of about $18,000 that is better? I love STI's but I'm not sure about the price differences when the SRT-4 is a lot newer for the same price as an older STI.

I drove and look at 08's when I bought my MS3. The downside for me was the styling. Especially inside. To me it wreaked of typical Dodge Quality. Like any little pocket sized turbo, they move out well, but to me it was about quality and styling. Looks like a hatch fucked a Ram Truck.

IMO, go for the newer 265hp version of the WRX. I'd buy one of those before dropping the extra money on an STi. Better value overall, but it really depends on what you want. I looked at STi's too but in the end chose what I did for the price per performance factor. Not sure what the newer WRX's go for, but IMO would be worth a bit more to have one.

I drove and look at 08's when I bought my MS3. The downside for me was the styling. Especially inside. To me it wreaked of typical Dodge Quality. Like any little pocket sized turbo, they move out well, but to me it was about quality and styling. Looks like a hatch fucked a Ram Truck.

IMO, go for the newer 265hp version of the WRX. I'd buy one of those before dropping the extra money on an STi. Better value overall, but it really depends on what you want. I looked at STi's too but in the end chose what I did for the price per performance factor. Not sure what the newer WRX's go for, but IMO would be worth a bit more to have one.

This.

I worked on this car a little, so I was able to drive quite a few of them and I really don't think they are a bad car, for what they are.

The 2.4L has a lot of power, and can make a lot more.

The car feels quick, handles well, is fun to drive, and has an "ok" amount of cargo space. The brakes are great and the tires have a lot of grip. Get snow tires for winter though.

The highway drone of the stock exhaust was annoying to me, although some people would probably be ok with it.

The stock seats are conmortible and heavily bolstered. For me they were too heavily bolstered. Anytime I would do some 'spirited driving' I would have to either flare my elbows out, or make sure I tuck them in next to my body because when turning my elbows would always get hung up on the side bolsters.

The torque steer is as expected on a car like this. It has an open diff because with a LSD is was dangerous.

The seats are the nicest trimmed piece in the interior. The dash and door panels are cheap, ugly, hard plastic.

Looks are subjective. I liked it, but I'm also comparing it to the looks of a stock Caliber.

If you're just looking for a fun DD, a WRX is a great choice. (Just stay away from the 08s. 07 or 09 is fine, just not the 08) A turbo-back exhaust and a tune will wake it up considerably and still be reliable. In the future, if you want to go for big power with a big turbo, you can always swap in an STI transmission.

If you want to go for big power right out of the box, start with an STI.

If you're just looking for a fun DD, a WRX is a great choice. (Just stay away from the 08s. 07 or 09 is fine, just not the 08) A turbo-back exhaust and a tune will wake it up considerably and still be reliable. In the future, if you want to go for big power with a big turbo, you can always swap in an STI transmission.

If you want to go for big power right out of the box, start with an STI.

:masturboy:

I agree with most on here, both have ups and downs, the AWD of a suby is hands down very nice to have, I have a 08 caliber srt-4 while its nice and puts some nice power to the ground traction is its weak side, because there is none. BUT for the price comparison, I got my 08 with 30k for 14 out the door. You wont find a suby for that price, but it all depends on what you want and what you need, and how deep your pockets are. I personally didnt want to spend the money on a suby, I like them alot but wanted something semi cheap, good on gas but fun to drive and I still wanted to be able to feed the mod habit as well. I needed something that was "kid freindly" because of having my first child, and at the time I owned a single cab truck, so I had to have a four door car, and wanted a "sport wagon". I also looked into the mazda speed 3's (not the new ones) and again for the price you couldnt beat a cali. But as some stated before the build quality of the srt4's are no where near as nice as the other cars mentioned. But lets face it the srt4 line up was never meant to be a quality built car, hell the neons had crank back windows with power fronts, and had more problems then an old DSM car.... The srt4 lineup is meant to be cheap and fast, and it does that well. But if its a solid feel you want then dont buy a srt4. Just my .02.

I got my 08 with 30k for 14 out the door. You wont find a suby for that price

I got my Saabaru for just a touch more. Complete records, too. There are WRX's all over the place from 8k~ to brand new. There is a reason they hold their value well.

Also consider the resale value. The Subaru will retain value over the Caliber, also... even though we are talking SRT-4, its still a Caliber regardless...

...with a 2.4L turbo engine with a forged bottom end, different suspension, different steering rack, different front and rear seats, Kicker sub in the back, different wheels, bumpers/side skirts, front 300C brakes, unique 6 speed manual, stiffer bushings...

one of the things that drew me to the caliber srt was the low production # just over 5000 produced world wide, which is why you dont see to many of them. Granted its low production # was because they didnt sell well. But I like the fact that you dont see a bunch on the road everytime you drive it. I see every other late model turbo compact everytime I drive to work, that bugs me.

Guest Z Fag Jr.

The issues is that it is a dodge and I know we often don't think of this when buying play toy cars but its resale will be nothing, regardless of the upgrades. I looked at a neon srt4 when they came out and I just couldn't passed the fact at the end of the day you own a neon turbo or not its still a neon same with the dodge.

The STI holds its value which is a plus over time this will pay off. Not only that but awd a giant aftermarket and its not a dodge.. all plus's to me.