Hows the Caliber SRT-4?

TN94Z28

The issues is that it is a dodge and I know we often don't think of this when buying play toy cars but its resale will be nothing, regardless of the upgrades. I looked at a neon srt4 when they came out and I just couldn't passed the fact at the end of the day you own a neon turbo or not its still a neon same with the dodge.

The STI holds its value which is a plus over time this will pay off. Not only that but awd a giant aftermarket and its not a dodge.. all plus's to me.

But buying used you will be getting it for a cheaper price, so who cares about resale? To me, a daily driver is a throw-away car. You buy it used and drive it until it's dead.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove a standard caliber once, @ 14k miles it was falling apart and I was afraid of driving it. I don't care how different the srt is, if thats what the srt has for ground work it can't be good. Stay away!

Adam, you can quote me on this as it may never happen again; I would get a subaru in this situation.

Get the Csrt4 an let me drag you down 270 or the track with a regular SRT4 :D

Oh and a productive post ide pass on it.. I drove one was eeh. An this coming from a regular srt owner

Wierd cause stock for stock the caliber is faster than a neon... if modded the same way the cali is still faster. Plus I can roll my back windows down with out breakin my arm:lolguy:

Wierd cause stock for stock the caliber is faster than a neon... if modded the same way the cali is still faster. Plus I can roll my back windows down with out breakin my arm:lolguy:

If u seem confident then I've got a neon.....

...The torque steer is as expected on a car like this. It has an open diff because with a LSD is was dangerous...

Please, explain this to me.

AWD is nice but I prefer 2wd honestly. AWD is several hundred pounds that will do nothing but hurt your gas mileage for 99.9% of the year, and the times that it comes in useful, you could just drive 5mph slower and give a little more stopping distance.

Several hundred? Modern day awd cars are not HD 4x4 pickups from the 70's. Have you looked up actualy weights? The WRX is barely over 3k and actually one of the lighter cars in its class.

Where did you get this info? The SRT4 and Caliber SRT have both been extensively road tested and nowhere have I ever seen the Caliber as the faster of the two. Not saying that there hasn't ever been one that was faster, but it'd be an exception to the rule at this point.

My opinion given the choice between the two, caliber and wrx/sti? Id take the wrx or the sti over the caliber and I'm a mopar guy when Im not within earshot of my Toyotas. ;)

Please, explain this to me.

The original prototypes had LSD's, but torque steered horrendously. After spending a day at the track and becoming acquainted with the car, it was time to make the 1.5 hour drive back to the office. After taking off from a traffic light with no one around me I decided to punch it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I held on to the wheel tight because I fully expect the torque steer. The car changed lanes twice. Ultimately they made the decision to nix the LSD for this reason.

If you're seriously considering a Boosted FWD Car, drive the MS3. The interior is way more refined as are the overall handling and performance characteristics. Way more soul vs the Dodge.

The MS3 handles better and the the center of gravity difference is noticeable too. It brakes better, better brakes/stopping, top performance and it's built with Japanese Quality. I"m not one for the 2nd Gen, but then I'm biased that way. You don't see too many of the 1st Generation as there were only 5k per year produced in 07 and 08. Now the 2nd Gen, I'm not sure how many were made but it's definitely more mainstream.

Read up on the reviews and see if you can live with it. They will all point to the reasons why it didn't sell well and they killed production of it. Polar opposite reviews will be had of the Mazda. Come out to cars and coffee and we'll go for a drive. Hell, I work down off Alum near the Air Force Base. You're only a few miles away. I'm always up for lunch.

AWD is nice but I prefer 2wd honestly. AWD is several hundred pounds that will do nothing but hurt your gas mileage for 99.9% of the year, and the times that it comes in useful, you could just drive 5mph slower and give a little more stopping distance.

Wrong

Sweet raptor baby jesus. Youre so far in left field i dont even know where to begin.

I have driven and owned a few Dodges over the years... 3 stock neons, Spirit R/T, Dodge Omni GLHS, and I personally would pass on the Caliber. The neon SRT-4 has an engine that has been in the works since the 91 Spirit R/T, is rock solid, tons of aftermarket support, and easy to work on. People fail to forget that Dodge had turbo 4 cylinders in the 80's and have 3 decades of research behind their turbo 4's. The big problem is finding one that has not been beat to death. Also, don't expect to have a comfy long lasting interior. The cars are meant for fun and thats it.

If you're seriously considering a Boosted FWD Car, drive the MS3. The interior is way more refined as are the overall handling and performance characteristics. Way more soul vs the Dodge.

The MS3 handles better and the the center of gravity difference is noticeable too. It brakes better, better brakes/stopping, top performance and it's built with Japanese Quality. I"m not one for the 2nd Gen, but then I'm biased that way. You don't see too many of the 1st Generation as there were only 5k per year produced in 07 and 08. Now the 2nd Gen, I'm not sure how many were made but it's definitely more mainstream.

Read up on the reviews and see if you can live with it. They will all point to the reasons why it didn't sell well and they killed production of it. Polar opposite reviews will be had of the Mazda. Come out to cars and coffee and we'll go for a drive. Hell, I work down off Alum near the Air Force Base. You're only a few miles away. I'm always up for lunch.

Didn't realize 1st gen MS3's where that rare, 2 of my friends have 1st gens in a city of only 30k. Nice handling cars, but the gear ratio's do make traction a problem. My one friends is red (other silver/blue), but man is that red sharp on those cars!!!

Didn't realize 1st gen MS3's where that rare, 2 of my friends have 1st gens in a city of only 30k. Nice handling cars, but the gear ratio's do make traction a problem. My one friends is red (other silver/blue), but man is that red sharp on those cars!!!

Rare....so, so. Lots of the early adopters are pissed as they were only supposed to make the Speed Series for 2 years. Same as with the Miata and MS6's. However, I think the MS3's were selling so well and had such demand being the the 3 series is a top seller, they kept the turbo version around. Smart move.

Doesn't bother me that they kept them going. Still a fairly scarce car. I wish they would have just mated it to the 5spd. MT Did a test of a 2.3l 5spd with a turbo mounted and it turned .5 sec better times. Takes two shifts to hit 60 in my car. 1st is a waste. However, a nice 3rd-4th-5th gear rip and run is a hellava lot of fun making on ramps a sheer blast. Especially given the car takes ramps like it's on skates. 315N to 270W is a blast.

they don't wanna deal with all the assholes....

Entry here can be tough/rough. I always tell people just to stick it out, have thick skin and treat the first few months here like a new car, break it in right by not flogging things until you're in the groove. I'm sure on top of those here who likely think I'm an ass/dick, if I were to enter the forum as a newb with my way of posting, I'd be the new whipping child too :gabe:

If u seem confident then I've got a neon.....

Where did you get this info? The SRT4 and Caliber SRT have both been extensively road tested and nowhere have I ever seen the Caliber as the faster of the two. Not saying that there hasn't ever been one that was faster, but it'd be an exception to the rule at this point.

All im sayin is a STOCK NSRT4 is factory rated 215hp, a stock CSRT4 is factory rated at 285hp. thats all im sayin. Im not sayin my stage one mini van is faster then pauls stage wtf? neon.