90 jeep comanche 4.0L

DSM1290

It has a issue starting. It cranks and cranks but doesn't fire up. I have to use starting fluid and then it will fire up. It doesn't do it all of the time, normally only the first start of the day. I just replaced the fuel pump in it. B/c it went bad. I thought that might fix it but no luck. IS there maybe some type of regulator or something like that that is going bad? Filter? any ideas would help. And if anyone know a good jeep forum i could ask on to that would be nice. Thanks.

Your Jeep has a fuel pressure regulator on it. The symptom you describe is typical of a failed/failing regulator (they hold pressure in the F/I rail after the vehicle is shut of besides regulating the pressure). One easy thing to check is to find the regulator and pull off the vacuum hose that is attached - if there is any fule or smell of fuel in the hose, the regulator needs replaced (diaphram is leaking). Not findin fule does not mean it's not bad, but if it is there, replace it.

I pulled the vac. line on the end of the regulator and it smelled a little of gas. But i mean it would smell a little like gas wouldn't it? Or should it not at all? And i have checked the spark it i getting good spark. Thanks for the help so far.

I pulled the vac. line on the end of the regulator and it smelled a little of gas. But i mean it would smell a little like gas wouldn't it? Or should it not at all? And i have checked the spark it i getting good spark. Thanks for the help so far.

It shouldn't smell like fuel. Was the vac. line wet with fuel? If it was, then the diaphragm in the reg. is shot like Craig said.

Edited by TA In Progress
Spelling

Should not smell like gas - diaphram between fuel and vacuum - if it smells like gas, it's bad. Keep in mind it's hot out and gas will evaporate very quickly so seeing it actually "wet" is not likely.

if that vac is dry the regulator probably isn't bad. Seriously, check that switch on the column. Just went through this a couple weeks ago on a 93 camaro. Ran good once you got it started with starting fluid, but would not fire up on its own at all