2000 Civic CX - No start after new timing belt/water pump

dakotart

Have you turned the crank backwards 6 times to verify you are in time? That is how Honda, haynes, and chiltons say to verify if you are in time.

Yes that is how I set the tensioner pulley (rotated the crank by hand in counterclockwise direction, checked timing marks, etc.)

if its a stick push it downhill and bump start it if it doesnt turn over hop out let the car keep rolling and call it a day lol

no sorry man thats weird if everything is in time and you ahve fuel and spark I would say you need to find out why you have low compression and that will be your answer, you ahve two of the three things needed for it to run

This Civic doesn't have a tach.

you 100% sure it doesn't have a tach? if its an auto car or a manual it should have one, because all the pic's I'm looking at in the honda parts catalog is showing a tach on the left.

Edited by SinisterSS

Not all manual 92-95 civics had tachs! The plug is there to swap a cluster. And the only interference engines I have seen are the vtec engines.

title of this thread said 2000 civic cx, maybe that's where I'm lost, and to my under standing at the Honda training center they told us all honda engines are an interference engine

Sorry been posting on my phone. I'm not sure of the 96-00 not having a tach I know 88-95 was model dependent. I was a tech for a Honda dealer as well for 5 years and the only interface engines I have encountered are vtec. I have snapped t belts in both sohc and dohc and non vtec never had p2v or v2v contact.

Could be a stuck ring but usually happens when motor has been sitting for a long time. Just put some mystery oil in a built sohc turbo car and it in stuck the rings.

it is an interference engine

I don't know the difference between an interference engine and a non interference one.

There is no tach gauge.

I redid the compression check with the throttle wide open.

#1 - 85

#2 - 65

#3 - 115

#4 - 58

(the haynes manual says that the car should be at operating temp for this test but since it won't start, that can't be done). Also I'm not sure why the numbers on 2-4 went up (#3 is way up from before). #1 is about what it was in the first test.

Also, here are the timing marks (#1 piston is at TDC)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/junkaddress000/Timing.jpg

Lastly, here is a video it what it is doing: Cranking video

It looks like that cam is off, compared to the picture..

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/probin007/hondacam.gif

Ok. Now I see the TDC marks on the Camshaft pulley and block. The lower cover is off, but the crank is past where the TDC mark is.

So, to realign, do I just take off the timing belt and rotate the crank back to where it lines up. then reinstall the timing belt?

Take the belt back off.... move the crank back to TDC, and align the cam and slide it all on....

Put the bolt back in and turn the crank 6 revolutions and make sure its still in time..

I personally want to say that is a interferance motor.. which means if anything is out of time the valves will hit the piston..

But Im not a honda expert, ive just done a ton of timing belts and maintenance..

• Confused 1

Take the belt back off.... move the crank back to TDC, and align the cam and slide it all on....

Put the bolt back in and turn the crank 6 revolutions and make sure its still in time..

I personally want to say that is a interferance motor.. which means if anything is out of time the valves will hit the piston..

But Im not a honda expert, ive just done a ton of timing belts and maintenance..

ok thanks, going out to try this.

yea cam looks way off. you should use the lines on the side of the sproket and not so much the rotter button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/customlowz/TECH%20INFO/fig1.jpg

This is an F series but you get the point by lining them up by the tdc grooves

EDIT*** just seen rockys post picture

Cool, hope you get it fixed.. almost sent you my number so I could come check it out for you...

After realigning the marks (appeared to be off by 2 teeth, and not sure how it happened since neither moved that I saw between taking the old off and putting the new belt on) it started. I let it run for a few seconds and shut it off (valve cover was still off)

Put everything back on (timing covers, valve covers, belts, etc.) now it won't start again. Done for the night. Will take the covers off again tomorrow and check it all again.

Thanks again for the help

yea cam looks way off. you should use the lines on the side of the sproket and not so much the rotter button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/customlowz/TECH%20INFO/fig1.jpg

This is an F series but you get the point by lining them up by the tdc grooves

EDIT*** just seen rockys post picture

100% agreed your timing is off, FYI your timing a 4 cylinder import car not an old school V8 engine. good luck and report back after you re-align everything

Came home tonight and thought that I would crank it over before tearing it down again. It started. Let it run for a few minutes before shutting it off. started it again about 5 more times. Put the rest of the stuff back on. Will change the oil and bleed the radiator tomorrow.

Thanks to who ever broke in today and fixed it since last night.

Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful tips.

Issue resolved.

Root Cause: Not paying someone else more qualified