2003 civic timing belt...

SRTurbo04

Soo a friend needs her timing belt changed on her 03 civic... the shop she went too wants to charge her 500$ to do it.. they say its so high cause they have to pull the engine out...

Wtf? is this true or are they just bull shitting her... and 500$ sound right?

Anyone here wanna do a timing belt on a civic?

LOL...no not at all. I have about 40 techs that will do it for cheaper.

Calls for 2.7 hours to do.. no engine removal

I normally do Tbelts on hondas for 160 plus parts.. i think its only like 50$ in parts..

Let me know if you need someone to do it..

ill be getting back to you or staywide here soon about getting it done cause where ever she went is a bunch of tards....

sounds right :gabe:

FFFFUUUUUU haha

Calls for 2.7 hours to do.. no engine removal

I normally do Tbelts on hondas for 160 plus parts.. i think its only like 50$ in parts..

Let me know if you need someone to do it..

$50 IN PARTS????

So, I assume you don't use a timing belt KIT with the rollers, I assume you don't put a New AISIN, or Honda waterpump on. I don't normally don't get pissy with people on here, but if you honestly have $50 in parts your half-assing it. Nothing like having "a buddy" do your friends car work then have the stress from the new timing belt wear on the old waterpump bearings, it starts to fail on an INTERFERENCE motor and you get to pay to do the job again since the pump is run my the timing belt........./RANT

Paul, I would NOT have this guy do a timing belt if he has "$50 in parts"

2.7 hours @ 95 ~$260

Timing Belt kit MY COST $78 List $160

Waterpump MY COST $46 List $87

So, here you are at about $507 in the above parts/labor which does not include tax and coolant which we would flush. Hopefully her accessory belts are in good shape too. A lot of time they are original at timing belt service and we replace them at that point.

If I did it @ $50 per hour on the side with good parts at my cost it would be $259 before coolant/belts.

:fuckyeah:

$50 IN PARTS????

So, I assume you don't use a timing belt KIT with the rollers, I assume you don't put a New AISIN, or Honda waterpump on. I don't normally don't get pissy with people on here, but if you honestly have $50 in parts your half-assing it. Nothing like having "a buddy" do your friends car work then have the stress from the new timing belt wear on the old waterpump bearings, it starts to fail on an INTERFERENCE motor and you get to pay to do the job again since the pump is run my the timing belt........./RANT

2.7 hours @ 95 ~$260

So, here you are at about $507 in the above parts/labor which does not include tax and coolant which we would flush. Hopefully her accessory belts are in good shape too. A lot of time they are original at timing belt service and we replace them at that point.

If I did it @ $50 per hour on the side with good parts at my cost it would be $259 before coolant/belts.

I only spent about $75 for a water pump, tensioner pulley and timing belt.

Hey dipshit. Before you call someone out read his post. He just wants the timing belt done. I can get timing belt kits for 50$.

Is it recommended to replace the water pump and pulleys? Yeah did he say he needed that done? No.

Dbag. I also said I think it's around 50 for parts. I didn't give an exact quote.

$50 IN PARTS????

2.7 hours @ 95 ~$260

• Downvote 1

Hey dipshit. Before you call someone out read his post. He just wants the timing belt done. I can get timing belt kits for 50$.

Is it recommended to replace the water pump and pulleys? Yeah did he say he needed that done? No.

Dbag. I also said I think it's around 50 for parts. I didn't give an exact quote.

I should of specified... if its recomended to do the pump an pulleys then yea that was quoted into the 500

Its recommended because your already in there and its just more parts not much more labor.. And it never hurts to replace parts before they are broken on a interferance engine..

If thats the case then you would be looking at 150+ In parts, plus coolant..

500 isnt that bad of a deal for all of that.. But knowing a mechanic could save you 1-200$

Its recommended because your already in there and its just more parts not much more labor.. And it never hurts to replace parts before they are broken on a interferance engine..

If thats the case then you would be looking at 150+ In parts, plus coolant..

500 isnt that bad of a deal for all of that.. But knowing a mechanic could save you 1-200$

x2 Also let the tech or place get the parts so they can know everything will work 100% Most places will give you a better deal if you buy the parts and they make a little bit of money on those also instead of just the labor. Good luck.

Just making sure all things are covered here folks. Hate away, as mentioned things were not clear. I get fed up on a daily basis with people I know getting terrible work done on their cars by people who shouldn't be touching a car. High standards I guess.

Just making sure all things are covered here folks. Hate away, as mentioned things were not clear. I get fed up on a daily basis with people I know getting terrible work done on their cars by people who shouldn't be touching a car. High standards I guess.

Like wise. Some people shouldn't open the hood of a car.

on that car at the dealership we replace the water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, accessory drive belts, valve cover gasket w/spark plug seals, coolant and if needed the cam seal due to oil leaking behind the timing cover. don't know how many times people don't wanna replace the cam seal and a few months later the new belt breaks because oil leaked all over it, if you want Paul I can get you a price on factory Honda parts and I can do it on any Saturday morning for $200 but she supplies the parts, she wont need coolant since there's a ton of it laying around the shop

My cost for factory parts, not including the drive belts.

Honda timing belt: $17.02

Honda water pump: $56.39

Honda timing belt tensioner: $71.83

Honda camshaft seal: $3.29 (if needed)

Honda valve cover gasket: $7.26

Honda spark plug seals: $3.46ea (if needed)

Honda coolant: free since its laying all over the shop

Do the water pump if you're in there. Mid last year I did a T-belt on my GF's car the only thing I didn't change was the tensioner, we were changing the belt at 55k miles but the car was 7 yrs old (paranoid/preventative) I forget how much parts were but it was under $200.

It was a pain but whatever saved some cash.

Honestly asking this type of question that is specific to one car is kind of a waste of time on a forum like this. try going to a civic forum. I followed this DIY and posted some watchouts when done.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/115-engine/302900-timing-belt-diy-2-a.html

Do the water pump if you're in there. Mid last year I did a T-belt on my GF's car the only thing I didn't change was the tensioner, we were changing the belt at 55k miles but the car was 7 yrs old (paranoid/preventative) I forget how much parts were but it was under $200.

It was a pain but whatever saved some cash.

Honestly asking this type of question that is specific to one car is kind of a waste of time on a forum like this. try going to a civic forum. I followed this DIY and posted some watchouts when done.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/115-engine/302900-timing-belt-diy-2-a.html

I work for Honda I know what needs to be done and what to look for

:megusta: