New Formula 1 engine scrapped...

Draco-REX

Seems a few teams were not happy about the 4cyl 1.6T engine for 2013. And others were banking on it. So the 1.6T 4cyl is out, and a 1.6T V6 is in. The 12,000rpm redline stays. Additionally, a fuel metering device will reduce maximum consumption by 35%.

Should be interesting. What's crazy is that the teams think they can still get 750hp from this new design.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/16406?sid=f42458cea244f7d0c042c6aaf7174f41

Why do they keep lowering the max rpm?

I remember when they took away the v10 motors and made them start running v8s.

They always seems to get quicker though so I guess we'll see what they can do with a six banger and lower revs.

Fans complain that there's not enough passing. By keeping the revs down, they hope to level the playing field and help some of the less well-funded teams be competitive. Less power will also make the drivers more dependent on stupid gimmicks like the current KERS-to-pass mario kart system and adjustable wing.

i was leery about the 2.4 V8 formula in 2006 but it turned out to be a non-issue, even with the rev-limiter added

what would make F1 more exciting for sure is stuff like this

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2011/06/f34b175ac4939eae974c1038beaca93b/original.gif

Fans complain that there's not enough passing. By keeping the revs down, they hope to level the playing field and help some of the less well-funded teams be competitive. Less power will also make the drivers more dependent on stupid gimmicks like the current KERS-to-pass mario kart system and adjustable wing.

I'm still in the Pro-DRS/Pro-KERS camp. Now that the drivers are getting more used to using DRS and KERS, the passing isn't as trivial as it was. But there's enough imbalance for passing to occur. I am really enjoying this year's races as there is a lot more going on in general, not just passing. And a lot of that is because KERS and DRS are opening up more options for the drivers.

Now, one thing these systems have done is sort of segregate the field. Even if a top driver starts back in the pack, he can make his way through the field to the front. (Hence Button's and Webber's awesome charges this year.) While it makes it tougher for the slower drivers to stay in front of the faster ones, it makes it all the more remarkable when one of those mid-pack or backmarker drivers makes it forward. (i.e. Kobayashi)

This year has been one of the more exciting years for a long time.

Guest Z Fag Jr.
I think we are forgetting the early days of F1 turbo engines. Those beasts both i4 and v6 made huge power with small displacement so 750hp is not an issue. I for one like the constantly evolving technological aspect of the sport. I cannot stand nascar and how old an archaic it is, those cars are completely irrelevant to todays automobiles. F1 makes developments that in years will be on your cars and in order to do that new rules and regulations are mandatory. The speed will never leave and the creativity will always grow. I like DRS and KERS.

I think we are forgetting the early days of F1 turbo engines. Those beasts both i4 and v6 made huge power with small displacement so 750hp is not an issue. I for one like the constantly evolving technological aspect of the sport. I cannot stand nascar and how old an archaic it is, those cars are completely irrelevant to todays automobiles. F1 makes developments that in years will be on your cars and in order to do that new rules and regulations are mandatory. The speed will never leave and the creativity will always grow. I like DRS and KERS.

Whats archaic about nascar? Sure they run a carb (cup cars are switching the fuel injection next year), but they are certainly anything but archaic.

I like this post. In the late 80's BMW's M12 turbo 1.5L I-4 was making 900hp under regulation, but in qualifying runs it was anywhere between 1300-1400hp. I don't know how I feel about the rev cap, but I'm sure I'll have a more solid opinion next June in Austin:gabe:

Guest Z Fag Jr.

I think they are only doing a few test races with FI, which is long overdue. They are solid axle'd cars that in my view use bs technology that cannot be applied to road cars (fans to cool brakes lol). Heavy cars that are behind the times trying to make outdated technology work isn't that interesting to me, but I guess if you can watch a bunch of guys drive in a circle for a few hours it may interest you.

Whats archaic about nascar? Sure they run a carb (cup cars are switching the fuel injection next year), but they are certainly anything but archaic.

I got to see a bmw turbo F1 engine up close and they are stunning. The craftsmanship is amazing, I'll see if I moved the pics to my external drive and I'll try to post some up later.

I think they are only doing a few test races with FI, which is long overdue. They are solid axle'd cars that in my view use bs technology that cannot be applied to road cars (fans to cool brakes lol). Heavy cars that are behind the times trying to make outdated technology work isn't that interesting to me, but I guess if you can watch a bunch of guys drive in a circle for a few hours it may interest you.

I got to see a bmw turbo F1 engine up close and they are stunning. The craftsmanship is amazing, I'll see if I moved the pics to my external drive and I'll try to post some up later.

It may be "outdated" in your view. But how often do you see pushrod motors (with flat tappet cams at that) produce 800hp+ n/a. You're right they are solid axle cars. Solid axle and IRS both have their downfalls. The truck are style suspension that is used in cup cars is a very reliable and proven set up, not just in the roundy round world. Only on the slower tracks do they use the fans, and why couldnt something like that be applied for use in a road car? So what other "BS technology" is there?

I'm sure you're one of the many people that hate on drag racing as well. While we're talking about BS stuff. Lets talk drifting, who needs hydraulic hand brakes in a street car? Why use zipties to hold everything on?

I'm not knocking any form of auto racing, I enjoy it all, I really do. I just wish there werent so many close minded people such as yourself.

It may be "outdated" in your view. But how often do you see pushrod motors (with flat tappet cams at that) produce 800hp+ n/a. You're right they are solid axle cars. Solid axle and IRS both have their downfalls. The truck are style suspension that is used in cup cars is a very reliable and proven set up, not just in the roundy round world. Only on the slower tracks do they use the fans, and why couldnt something like that be applied for use in a road car? So what other "BS technology" is there?

You can build a trebuchet out of carbon fiber and magnesium tungsten alloy, but at the end of the day its still archaic technology.

The same applies to auto racing; making more obstacles and challenges to car developers will breed innovation in regular cars. It seems these days like NASCAR is more about maximizing advertising space/revenue than anything.

Guest Z Fag Jr.

I'm sure you're one of the many people that hate on drag racing as well. While we're talking about BS stuff. Lets talk drifting, who needs hydraulic hand brakes in a street car? Why use zipties to hold everything on?

I'm not knocking any form of auto racing, I enjoy it all, I really do. I just wish there werent so many close minded people such as yourself.

Trust me I'm very open minded when it comes to racing, and zip ties don't hold my cars together. Furthermore drag racing is boring to me I don't enjoy watching cars go strait and seeing who can spend the most amount of money. As you seem to dislike drifting I'll say this at least drifers can turn the wheel and shift at the same time :)

You seem to be really offended by this I don't understand why? The point of this discussion was development of new motors of which nascar has nothing like that.

Trust me I'm very open minded when it comes to racing, and zip ties don't hold my cars together. Furthermore drag racing is boring to me I don't enjoy watching cars go strait and seeing who can spend the most amount of money. As you seem to dislike drifting I'll say this at least drifers can turn the wheel and shift at the same time :)

You seem to be really offended by this I don't understand why? The point of this discussion was development of new motors of which nascar has nothing like that.

I used drifting as an example, I do enjoy watching it but have never had the opportunity to do it. You've apparently never been in a fast drag car though, theres much more going on then just going straight (which isnt necessarily the case either). It doesnt take much to turn the wheel and shift though, I do that on a regular basis. Its also not about who can spend the most money, go watch some bracket racing and then get back to me about spending lots of money.

I'm not offended at all I dont know how you got that silly idea in your head.

theres much more going on then just going straight (which isnt necessarily the case either). It doesnt take much to turn the wheel and shift though, I do that on a regular basis.

1 - I pretty sure going straight is the case in drag racing.. if thats not the case your doing it wrong

2 - you've obviously never watched real drifting before.. not talking about the kids who go do donuts and call it drifting

bracket racing is nothing special.. if you know your car and have it set up right it's not hard to be consistent and get dialed in.. and if you have enough money to spend on stalls, tires, line locks, etc your going to know what you should run

I will go to a drag strip.. i'd even put one of my cars on the track for the hell of it.. but I personally would go to a road course, drift event, etc before a drag strip

but as far as formula 1 goes.. i'm looking forward to seeing the turbo 1.6's.. i think its going to be interesting

Guest Z Fag Jr.

Some pics to get this tread back on track.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/tko350/DSCF5017.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/tko350/DSCF5018.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/tko350/DSCF5023.jpg

If anybody wants close up's of anything let me know what you want to see and I'll post them.

I like this post. In the late 80's BMW's M12 turbo 1.5L I-4 was making 900hp under regulation, but in qualifying runs it was anywhere between 1300-1400hp. I don't know how I feel about the rev cap, but I'm sure I'll have a more solid opinion next June in Austin:gabe:

I think 12,000 rpm in a turbo 6 will sound every bit as awesome as today's 18,000 rpm N/A 8s. :)

I like the innovation in F1. Here's a set of rules (a.k.a. formula) to build the car within... Have at. This is where you see crazy ideas like intentionally stalling a wing in the straights, or using exhaust gasses to increase aerodynamic downforce.