Driving without bumper cover legality?

Trouble Maker

I'm no expert but I don't see why it would be an issue. If you have your plates displayed and functional lights/signal I don't know what they could charge you with. An equipment violation would pertain to things not functioning or missing that are required by law, and I don't see how the plastic fascia pertains to that. Again I'm no expert and I'm sure there is that one asshole cop who would bother you about it regardless.

The back windows of my S10 were tinted 5%, but the front windows weren't tinted at all when I got pulled over for squealing tires and he spent more time harrasing me about the tint which was clearly within the law. He finally gave up but because I drew attention he bothered me. Even if its legal it just draws attention, I say do it at your own risk regardless.

you might have a cop follow you to the trailer park, but i don't see them pulling you over for this, unless the car poses a safety hazaard.

Lulz... was wondering how long this would take. Thought I would get at least 1 serious answer, but thanks for impressing me. :lolguy:

This is for something for work. 1 coworker needs the bumper cover off for something (private facility) but in the event I need to drive it on a public road I don't want to re-install and then uninstall the bumper cove if I don't have to. I was just too lazy to type all of that out before.

The car wouldn't be driven far, ~6 miles one way. Not on highways or in populated areas. Not that it matters as to the legality, but more to the likelihood of running into a cop. There is nothing else that is part of the bumper cover (lights, license plate, etc), it's just a cover. The bumper itself is still installed on the car.

Lulz... was wondering how long this would take. Thought I would get at least 1 serious answer, but thanks for impressing me. :lolguy:.

didn't take long did it?? i've done this before with my cobra when i was testing a new heat exchanger. my serious answer would be to keep it in a residential area, 25mph, and you will be much less likely to see a cop--and if you do, they will probably just let it slide if it is against some 'hillbilly law' :lolguy:

I think that legally a car just needs a bumper, bumper covers don't have to legally be on a car. I could be wrong. I had to drive my S4 without a bumper cover for about a mile once, on that car the bumper cover and bumper is one piece, pretty sure that would be illegal.

I think that legally a car just needs a bumper, bumper covers don't have to legally be on a car. I could be wrong. I had to drive my S4 without a bumper cover for about a mile once, on that car the bumper cover and bumper is one piece, pretty sure that would be illegal.

+1

I used to drive cars with the bumpers removed and 1/2" aluminum plates installed so we could attach outriggers. I'd drive on public roads for a minimum of 2 hours a day (to and from PG) and never had an issue. You may get a dick cop that will pull you over and ask a bunch of questions (happened to one of our tech's), but you should be legit.

Guest Z Fag Jr.

+2

My starion was front bumper less. I did have a large intercooler and cut off my actual bumper and just had the intercooler exposed. This is was in California in early 03 btw, I got a fixit ticket because I had no front bumper so I had a piece of pipe bent and welded infront of it! I took it to the highway patrol station and they passed it (shocked the hell out of me! Just the cover off shouldn't be an issue its the crash protection they are worried about.

And yes I drove home and cut the tack welds that held it on off.

+1

I used to drive cars with the bumpers removed and 1/2" aluminum plates installed so we could attach outriggers. I'd drive on public roads for a minimum of 2 hours a day (to and from PG) and never had an issue. You may get a dick cop that will pull you over and ask a bunch of questions (happened to one of our tech's), but you should be legit.

Ohio law says bumpers must be installed if originally on the vehicle so in Ohio one could get a ticket for that. I just couldnt find anything about bumper covers or the like.

Bumpers and Bumper "COVERS" are two different things. The COvers are merely aesthetic, the Actual crash bar is what the laws pertain to, and yes you have to legally have the crash bars, but as long as you display your tags, lights all work , then they really have nothing they could ever stick to you.

Bumpers and Bumper "COVERS" are two different things. The COvers are merely aesthetic, the Actual crash bar is what the laws pertain to, and yes you have to legally have the crash bars, but as long as you display your tags, lights all work , then they really have nothing they could ever stick to you.

Exactly. You could have a 2x6 screwed into the front of your car and I believe it counts.

Exactly. You could have a 2x6 screwed into the front of your car and I believe it counts.

It's surprising the laws are that lax. Why make all of these strict crash standards and then not require people to leave their bumpers on?

Goes to drive with outriggers on the road. :fuckyeah:

Phil, how goes the newer job? Having fun running into blow up dolls? I know you've been there for a while now but I haven't talked to you in a while.

It's surprising the laws are that lax. Why make all of these strict crash standards and then not require people to leave their bumpers on?

Goes to drive with outriggers on the road. :fuckyeah:

Phil, how goes the newer job? Having fun running into blow up dolls? I know you've been there for a while now but I haven't talked to you in a while.

I always had fun driving in Detroit traffic and having people try to cut me off, even though I had a 1/2" aluminum plate hangling off the front of my truck.

New job is going really well. This past Monday was the "1 year" mark. I miss driving the cars, especially after seeing the new SRT8 300/Charger (I only got to drive 6.4L mules), but I made the right decision. Now that we're expecting our first child in 7 weeks, it will be nice being home all the time, instead of living in a hotel. If you're ever looking to move on, and up to MI, let me know. We have ~22 open positions for all types of engineers (mechanical, electrical, test/lab, hardware, software, systems, program manager...) ;)

I always had fun driving in Detroit traffic and having people try to cut me off, even though I had a 1/2" aluminum plate hangling off the front of my truck.

New job is going really well. This past Monday was the "1 year" mark. I miss driving the cars, especially after seeing the new SRT8 300/Charger (I only got to drive 6.4L mules), but I made the right decision. Now that we're expecting our first child in 7 weeks, it will be nice being home all the time, instead of living in a hotel. If you're ever looking to move on, and up to MI, let me know. We have ~22 open positions for all types of engineers (mechanical, electrical, test/lab, hardware, software, systems, program manager...) ;)

Congrats on the expectant baby! I didn't know you guys were expecting. It will definitely be nice to be home with the new baby and not traveling.

If I move away from Columbus it's going to be for a job + location, not just a job i.e. Portland, Denver... Somewhere that has things around it I like to do. Sucks because whenever I do move on, whether that's in Columbus or not, it will likely mean moving out of the auto industry for good, or at least a while. :no: I've though long and hard about moving up to Detroit but I just can't see myself moving there only for a job/industry. Probably the only reason I haven't moved on yet.

Congrats on the expectant baby! I didn't know you guys were expecting. It will definitely be nice to be home with the new baby and not traveling.

If I move away from Columbus it's going to be for a job + location, not just a job i.e. Portland, Denver... Somewhere that has things around it I like to do. Sucks because whenever I do move on, whether that's in Columbus or not, it will likely mean moving out of the auto industry for good, or at least a while. :no: I've though long and hard about moving up to Detroit but I just can't see myself moving there only for a job/industry. Probably the only reason I haven't moved on yet.

I hear ya on moving for a nice location, but it's all in what you want. Michigan is very 'out-doorsy' and there's plenty to do for people who like boating, snow mobiling, biking, running, hiking, canoing, camping, etc. The entire metro area I'm in is connected with bike trails. My only complaint is the snow. My perfect location would be somewhere in the Carolina coast line.

I live right next to this: http://www.metroparks.com/parks/index_all.aspx?ID=11&r=0# but I haven't had time to get over there much.

You're actually right. I shit you not, Shaquille O'Neil had a wooden from bumper that had ingraved Shaq Daddy in college.

Legally its fine.

the law is only for the bumper....

how ever there are officers that may not be wise when it comes to cars. and they would think that the cover is the bumper..

if you get stopped i would KINDLY inform them the differnce between the two..

if it goes to court youll win

I hear ya on moving for a nice location, but it's all in what you want. Michigan is very 'out-doorsy' and there's plenty to do for people who like boating, snow mobiling, biking, running, hiking, canoing, camping, etc. The entire metro area I'm in is connected with bike trails. My only complaint is the snow. My perfect location would be somewhere in the Carolina coast line.

I live right next to this: http://www.metroparks.com/parks/index_all.aspx?ID=11&r=0# but I haven't had time to get over there much.

While I would agree that Michigan is probably slightly better in that area than Ohio, I wouldn't go beyond slightly. There is stuff like that just about everywhere you go. But again, if I'm going to move away from home (Columbus will always be home to me and is a really cool city), it's going to be for somewhere I'm really going to enjoy. There will be actual mountains within driving distance I can go play on, probably a bike friendly city and hopefully the ocean can be close too.

That is really cool that a park like that is that close to where you live.

I thought about the Carolina's when I first got out of school. Maybe somewhere like Raleigh, Charlotte or Greensboro; a few hours to the mountains and a few hours to the coast. You should talk to Doug!