Electric Cooling Fan Issues

302Powered

I have an older car that was not equipped with an electric fan from the factory. The previous owner just had the positive wire from the fan and a hot wire in the car. When he wanted to run the fan he twisted the wires together. I rewired it and put a relay and a switch in the car. It seemed to work for a little while then it started to blow the fuse all the time. I thought it was just pulling too much amperage for the 25 amp generator to handle.

Fast forward to today. I installed a fan controller and a 100 amp alternator. Everytime the fan goes to kick on it blows the fuse. I've checked my wiring at least a dozen times and it is all correct. No cuts in the wires or anything.

My question is...do you think the fan itself is garbage?

-Mike

try putting your hand on the fan motor and spinning it by hand or using a stethascope to see if you can feel or hear the bearings being worn out. I would agree the fan is probably old and starting to draw more power.

Guest Z Fag Jr.
I'm going to assume as the guy just tied wires together to complete his circuit (wtf?) The fan is most likely missing a shroud that seals it to the radiator. I would make sure to add one while you are installing a new one it will make it way more efficient.