Religious/Philosophic Discussion

Guest Hal

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: Does God exist? If yes, why do you think so? If no, why do you think not? In thought, yes. In a literal sense, no.

1(a): Can the existence of God be proven or disproven scientifically or logically? No, it's the perfect bipartisan argument. Nobody's quite right, nobody's quite wrong.

2: How do you think the universe was created? (i.e., Not just the big bang, but what cause it)

2(a): Is there a sound basis for the theory of intelligent design? No, refer to the law of conservation of mass.

3: If God exists as an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent being why does evil exist? Refer to #1.

2(a): Is there a sound basis for the theory of intelligent design? No, refer to the law of conservation of mass.

Sorry, you lost on that one. None of the laws of physics would apply to the design argument.

1: Does God exist? If yes, why do you think so? If no, why do you think not? In thought, yes. In a literal sense, no.

1(a): Can the existence of God be proven or disproven scientifically or logically? No, it's the perfect bipartisan argument. Nobody's quite right, nobody's quite wrong.

2: How do you think the universe was created? (i.e., Not just the big bang, but what cause it)

3: If God exists as an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent being why does evil exist? Refer to #1.

1. Not really a point to dissect. I could use the Ontological Argument as it addresses your main theme. Basically, because it would be better (in Anselm's) for God to exist in reality, he must exist. There's a lot more to it than that. It's only about 3 pages, check it out.

1a. I agree with this.

2a. I already addressed that.

3. I'm looking for an explanation for evil with the assumption that God does exist.

:gabe:

Disect the other points.

:fuckyeah:

And as i said before, we must first completely understand our universe before we can begin to understand how it all happened.

Not true. If we thought like that, humanity would make no discoveries. You have to seek to explain everything all the time. A lot of theologians would argue that to understand the universe, we must first understand how it all happened.

And as I typed to the right of this comma, you can't feasibly claim omnipotence.

Why not?

Guest Spam
I have to disagree Hal. You still are making discoveries along the way. But in order to fully understand the expansiveness of the universe and how it came to be, we must fully understand the laws, natures, tendencies of the complete environment surrounding us.

I have to disagree Hal. You still are making discoveries along the way. But in order to fully understand the expansiveness of the universe and how it came to be, we must fully understand the laws, natures, tendencies of the complete environment surrounding us.

Why? Have we never learned in reverse? I can think of a lot of examples where we have essentially followed the bread crumbs from something's beginnings to its design.

Why?

:confused:

KillJoy

What you and Spam have to remember is that theologians believe they have already answered the question in reverse. They "know" how the universe was created. That's why it works in reverse for them.

Keep in mind guys, I'm not saying either way is correct. I'm just trying to keep things moving and keep everyone thinking.

theologians believe they have already answered the question in reverse. They "know" how the universe was created. That's why it works in reverse for them.

Then this Thread was answered before ti was created.

Divine intervention?

KillJoy

Full understanding is nearly inconceivable.

Wouldn't that put us on a near equal footing with the conventional definition of God? With omniscience, we would possess 1/3 of his divine powers.

Ok, I'd like to keep this out of The Kitchen. If you can't debate without insulting another person or their beliefs, just stay out of this thread. Try to keep things civilized and respectful. It could be intellectually stimulating (especially with Dr. Rick's absence) to have some philosophic discussions.

Here are some topics to get us started:

1: Does God exist? If yes, why do you think so? If no, why do you think not?

1(a): Can the existence of God be proven or disproven scientifically or logically?

2(a): Is there a sound basis for the theory of intelligent design?

3: If God exists as an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent being why does evil exist?

I was kind of waiting for a discussion like this. There is something i've been wanting to share with you guys on this and when i have more time tomorrow I will post up whats been going on.

Guest Spam
I agree, a full understanding implies knowing its complete past, which you cant because you werent there to see it from the beginning, and you cant know its future because that would imply omniscient powers which we at the moment do not have.

I was kind of waiting for a discussion like this. There is something i've been wanting to share with you guys on this and when i have more time tomorrow I will post up whats been going on.

Typical christian..... wait until tomorrow.

:dumb:

KillJoy

I agree, a full understanding implies knowing its complete past, which you cant because you werent there to see it from the beginning, and you cant know its future because that would imply omniscient powers which we at the moment do not have.

We can essentially see into the past because light does take time to travel. Its really cool because we see an entire spectrum of time every time we see light from space.

We can essentially see into the past because light does take time to travel. Its really cool because we see an entire spectrum of time every time we see light from space.

Although COMPLETELY FACTUAL, this Post brings NOTHING to the table.

KillJoy

Someone mentioned time, and I think time kind of relates to this. Time I feel doesn't exist, it's something humans on earth created to keep track of and make sense of how one moment leads to another. If we lived on any other planet, time would be different also and our perception on it would change too.

Point is, if there is no such thing as time, there is no beginning, there is no end...there has always been a universe and there will always be a universe.

Time to go watch Wilfred....