Questions

CHERRY

I am looking to get a couple of guns for home protection.

I am looking for a 20 gauge pump or semi auto shotgun.

Which one would you recommend and why ?

I am also looking at getting a handgun of some type.

I would prefer a medium caliber in size like a .357; prefer one with a clip.

Again what would you recommend and why ?

Thanks

Chuck

Now...with that out of the way.

For home protection go with the less expensive pump action shotgun. Your are likely going to fire only one shot and with a pump action, you don't have to worry about the shell not cycling the action for some reason. The pump action is more reliable, IMO.

Go with a .40cal semi-auto pistol, such as a Glock 23 or a Springfield XD. Fantastic pistols for the money and extremely reliable for self-defense.

For home protection go with the less expensive pump action shotgun. Your are likely going to fire only one shot and with a pump action, you don't have to worry about the shell not cycling the action for some reason. The pump action is more reliable, IMO.

Go with a .40cal semi-auto pistol, such as a Glock 23 or a Springfield XD. Fantastic pistols for the money and extremely reliable for self-defense.

Thank You for you advice.

I agree. IMO for home defense I'd recommend any 12 or 20 gauge with an 18.5 inch barrel, and pistol grip for maneuverability. You can see the Mossberg 500 I just picked up for that very purpose in the thread I just started. I went with a 20 gauge cause my wife can control it, and is less intimidated by the recoil. Also a 20 gauge with buckshot will still cause massive damage. Lastly I say pump because if I was breaking into a house, and I heard the sound of a shotgun being racked I would not be sticking around.

If you're going to buy a single pistol, and even have the possibility of carry, you can't really go wrong with a Glock. Say a Glock 27 in .40. Decent number of rounds, and the .40 still packs a good punch with JHPs. I've heard good things about the XD-40 compact as well. I just picked up a PX4 storm SCF in .40 and am looking forward to putting some down the pipe.

Also 1911. :)

Go shoot or otherwise handle different guns to see what is comfortable for you. I wouldn't suggest starting with a .40 if you haven't done any shooting before. Everyone is just going to tell you their personal preferences, you have to make your own.

Pistol grips on shotguns hurt, stick with a normal stock. Remington 870 is generally the ideal choice. As far as a handgun goes for bedside duty, something full-size that you can shoot well. Try stuff out at the range before you buy. I suggest anything 1911 pattern, or a polymer in 9mm (glock, m&p, xd-m)

I agree. IMO for home defense I'd recommend any 12 or 20 gauge with an 18.5 inch barrel, and pistol grip for maneuverability. You can see the Mossberg 500 I just picked up for that very purpose in the thread I just started. I went with a 20 gauge cause my wife can control it, and is less intimidated by the recoil. Also a 20 gauge with buckshot will still cause massive damage. Lastly I say pump because if I was breaking into a house, and I heard the sound of a shotgun being racked I would not be sticking around.

If you're going to buy a single pistol, and even have the possibility of carry, you can't really go wrong with a Glock. Say a Glock 27 in .40. Decent number of rounds, and the .40 still packs a good punch with JHPs. I've heard good things about the XD-40 compact as well. I just picked up a PX4 storm SCF in .40 and am looking forward to putting some down the pipe.

Also 1911. :)

How's aiming that thing working out for you? You realize you still have to aim a shotgun, right? Pistol grip shotgun w/ stock = an OK personal preference, though I prefer them w/o. Pistol grip shotgun w/o a stock = quit watching zombie movies. Instead, go watch some YouTube vids of people attempting to aim a stockless shotty. Lulz will follow. Also, racking a shotgun isn't scaring anybody away; it's giving away your position and is a horrible tactical choice. The only sound and last sound a person who breaks into my house is going to hear is the sound of their heart and lungs getting pushed out the back of their torso.

Go shoot or otherwise handle different guns to see what is comfortable for you. I wouldn't suggest starting with a .40 if you haven't done any shooting before. Everyone is just going to tell you their personal preferences, you have to make your own.

This. Again. This. Can we get a sticky that states this (or maybe we already do)? Personal opinions are like assholes....

Pistol grips on shotguns hurt, stick with a normal stock. Remington 870 is generally the ideal choice. As far as a handgun goes for bedside duty, something full-size that you can shoot well. Try stuff out at the range before you buy. I suggest anything 1911 pattern, or a polymer in 9mm (glock, m&p, xd-m)

Listen to this guy.

I'm a fan of 12 gauge myself. As far as ammo selection is concerned, the sky is the limit. One could never go wrong with some 2 3/4" 00 Buck shot like the Hornaday TAP or even some Remington shells. I have a 590A1 and Remington 870. It's all kind of personal preference as far as pump guns go. I prefer the Mossberg safety location and the slide release, but as it's been stated both are die hard shotguns. I haven't gotten around to my 870 yet, but I like a shorter length of pull as far as the stock is concerned. As Austin stated earlier, best bet is to stay away from a pistol grip shotgun. They're great for knocking in doors, and that's about it.

This. Again. This. Can we get a sticky that states this (or maybe we already do)? Personal opinions are like assholes....

write it and i'll sticky it. I've written enough stickys and don't have time to do fuck these days

How's aiming that thing working out for you? You realize you still have to aim a shotgun, right? Pistol grip shotgun w/ stock = an OK personal preference, though I prefer them w/o. Pistol grip shotgun w/o a stock = quit watching zombie movies. Instead, go watch some YouTube vids of people attempting to aim a stockless shotty. Lulz will follow. Also, racking a shotgun isn't scaring anybody away; it's giving away your position and is a horrible tactical choice. The only sound and last sound a person who breaks into my house is going to hear is the sound of their heart and lungs getting pushed out the back of their torso.

Havent shot this one yet. :) Though my other shotgun with a pistol grip was a 12 gauge so I assume similar aim with better follow up shots. Though yes, you need practice with it.Personally i'd take the short length over pinpoint accuracy any day of the week at in-home distances.

I definitely see your point on not giving away your position. Makes perfect sense from a tactical point of view. Id still bet 90% or more of your potential intruders high tail it, of course that's just my opinion and I have no data that backs that up. I guess I'm strictly thinking along path of least resistance.

I have a Moss 500 and love it. Simple and effective. I don't like Pistol grip conversions. Some do, but for me, no way. Try shooting one then regular and money says you'll agree.

Handgun wise, I do like old school revolvers but again, just me. We have two .357's, one snub for my wife and a magnum I picked up at a flea market that I love and another S&W .38. The glock 19 is another we have and I really like.

Handguns are going to boil down to two things: Your experience and time as once you get one and are used to shooting, you'll develop preferences as you gain expereince and may change. I learned on a .38 my wife had, then tried a .357 and moved to the Glock after that. I still prefer the feel of the revolver but again, personal preference I suppose.

Your first won't likely be your last. Try various guns to get a feel and then shoot them. My guess is by medium caliber you're mindful of grip size and your hand. Good. Again, mistake would be buying a big boy for ego reasons and not comfort and utility.

Shoot it a lot. You will aim better as you become more accustomed to the recoil. Start with lightweight target loads, then go out and practice with 3 or 3.5" magnum buckshot. It'll bruise if you're new to shooting, but it gets better with practice. From then on choose whatever load you want for home defense.

It was years ago, I don't know the model except it was a 12ga sawoff with a pistol grip. That thing kicked so hard you wouldn't get a second shot if you missed. Myself and one other fired it before it got put away.

I'd think a 20ga would be a fun toy and plenty of damage with buck shot. Aiming off the hip would be

Prefect inside a house anyway.

I have not shot any weapons since 1976.

I plan on going to a local shooting site and ask questions, lots of questions.

In fact the only hand gun I have ever shot was a .22 cal.

I have never fired a round out of a shotgun bigger then a .20 gauge.

With the way our society is becoming, I have started to feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys for your advice

Chuck

It was years ago, I don't know the model except it was a 12ga sawoff with a pistol grip. That thing kicked so hard you wouldn't get a second shot if you missed. Myself and one other fired it before it got put away.

I'd think a 20ga would be a fun toy and plenty of damage with buck shot. Aiming off the hip would be

Prefect inside a house anyway.

Every single time I have fired a weapon off the hip, I have seen bullets impact everywhere except where I've wanted them to go. Especially downwards. A weapon should always be shouldered unless you are going point blank range.

Every single time I have fired a weapon off the hip, I have seen bullets impact everywhere except where I've wanted them to go. Especially downwards. A weapon should always be shouldered unless you are going point blank range.

Really? I've not found it that difficult to shoot a shotty off the hip and hit a human sized target. We used to hit cans "Hal calls them cats;-)" with airguns all the time from the hip when we were kids.

Really? I've not found it that difficult to shoot a shotty off the hip and hit a human sized target. We used to hit cans "Hal calls them cats;-)" with airguns all the time from the hip when we were kids.

humans? Pics or it hasn't happened :masturboy:

Test:

Shotty

Mossberg 500

Rem. 870

Pistol

Springfield XD

S&W M&P

S&W Bodyguard .38 Special

Glock 26

Ruger SR9c

Ruger LCP

Bersa Thunder 9

IMO those are some of the best option available. I won't go any further as I've already pushed my limits with my fanboy attitude towards my carry. :)

Guest GMoney

Shotgun 870

For the handgun if your not gonna CCW it get a full size 45. Its has a big slow bullet that in most cases will not exit the house if you miss your target. If you are going to dual purpose home and CCW a 40 is a good idea. The bullet is faster, smaller and has more snap when fired. It can be more dangerous because it can bounce around or leave your house if you miss.

Bottom line go rent and shoot everything you can before buying. PM me i will let you shoot all my stuff also just pay for range time and my rounds.