ABS Kicked In, Then Pedal To The Floor?!

Wease

Scary moment in my Contour a few minutes ago, it felt like my ABS kicked in, then the pedal went to the floor as I braked. :eek: This has happened twice today now. I did a brake job on my car a few weeks ago, but I did not bleed the brakes at all. I was reading about this problem with some other cars (not Contours) and that seemed to be what I need to do.

Any idea what it could be? :confused:

I've heard of cars rolling seals in the ABS module when pistons are pushed back, but I've never had it happen. I'd try bleeding it out first, making sure to get fresh fluid through the car. So long as it bleeds good go out and drive it, but bleeding it may show you something is wrong so either way I'd start there.

I've heard of cars rolling seals in the ABS module when pistons are pushed back, but I've never had it happen. I'd try bleeding it out first, making sure to get fresh fluid through the car. So long as it bleeds good go out and drive it, but bleeding it may show you something is wrong so either way I'd start there.

Definitely this.

Pin hole in the brake line.

I'll take a bet.

I'll take that bet because he didn't bleed the system and air has done funky things to ABS.

This bet holds no monetary value, just pointless bragging rights.

I agree with all said above, however, if that doesn't pan out I have another idea.

I know the Cougars and Contours share many parts. We didn't know until after the incident, but there was a recall or tsb or something for some damn brake component that I cannot remember for my gf's old Cougar. Something similar happened to us, too. Very scary, VERY FUCKING dangerous. I was amazed hardly anyone ever heard of it and I can't imagine that there wasn't at least one bad accident out there due to it. I can't seem to find any info on it, now. It was a washer or some shit, I feel.

Dammit... Pointless post if I can't remember the details. I'll check back if I do.

not sure if its your issue but found this

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS

TSB #00S03

NHTSA ID #618580

Date Announced: SEPTEMBER 01 2000

Summary: SAFETY RECALL PERTAINING TO BRAKE PRESSURE CONTROL REDUCING VALVE REPLACEMENT. *JB

Auto Recall Date: 03/09/2000

Vehicle Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS

Estimated Vehicles Affected: 436200

1999 FORD CONTOUR Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS). A PRESSURE CONSCIOUS REDUCING VALVE (PCRV) IN THE REAR BRAKES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CORROSION AND RESULT IN MALFUNCTION, WHEN OPERATED IN AREAS THAT USE SALT COMPOUNDS ON THE ROADWAY FOR DE-ICING OR DUST CONTROL.

Defect Consequence:

IF BOTH PCRV'S MALFUNCTION, VEHICLE HANDLING COULD BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED DURING BRAKING AS A RESULT OF THE REAR WHEELS LOCKING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL IMPROVED PCRV'S IN THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM. THIS RECALL WAS EXPANDED IN SEPTEMBER 2000 TO INCLUDE 1999 AND 2000 FORD CONTOUR, MERCURY MYSTIQUE AND COUGAR VEHICLES.

Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 00S03

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1999/12-aut/ford/contour/recalls/index.html

hope that helps

not sure if its your issue but found this

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS

TSB #00S03

NHTSA ID #618580

Date Announced: SEPTEMBER 01 2000

Summary: SAFETY RECALL PERTAINING TO BRAKE PRESSURE CONTROL REDUCING VALVE REPLACEMENT. *JB

Auto Recall Date: 03/09/2000

Vehicle Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS

Estimated Vehicles Affected: 436200

1999 FORD CONTOUR Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS). A PRESSURE CONSCIOUS REDUCING VALVE (PCRV) IN THE REAR BRAKES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CORROSION AND RESULT IN MALFUNCTION, WHEN OPERATED IN AREAS THAT USE SALT COMPOUNDS ON THE ROADWAY FOR DE-ICING OR DUST CONTROL.

Defect Consequence:

IF BOTH PCRV'S MALFUNCTION, VEHICLE HANDLING COULD BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED DURING BRAKING AS A RESULT OF THE REAR WHEELS LOCKING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL IMPROVED PCRV'S IN THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM. THIS RECALL WAS EXPANDED IN SEPTEMBER 2000 TO INCLUDE 1999 AND 2000 FORD CONTOUR, MERCURY MYSTIQUE AND COUGAR VEHICLES.

Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 00S03

http://www.autobuyguide.com/1999/12-aut/ford/contour/recalls/index.html

hope that helps

I saw this one, too. Except hers did have ABS. His Contour may not, though.

Guys, keep in mind that this has only happened twice, not all the time. Not sure if that matters for the hole or not.

I should have time to look at it tomorrow. I haven't driven the car since that day.

Guys, keep in mind that this has only happened twice, not all the time. Not sure if that matters for the hole or not.

I should have time to look at it tomorrow. I haven't driven the car since that day.

You need to look at it now. Kevin's reputation is riding on this! I have no reputation, so I have nothing to lose. :masturboy: