School question...

HotCarl

So Im at a fairly odd crossroads and i need some opinions. Ive been attending CSCC for the past year with the full intention of transfering to either OU's site campus on the east side or OSU's main campus to get a 4 year degree in business management. However after talking with my advisor i would need to change my major to either an arts or science major to attend OSU and they keep steering me towards transfering to Franklin.

I dont want to sound like a snob but if im going to put in all this work, time and money (i put myself through school, no loans) then i kinda want a degree with a little name recognition on it. I know that may sound dumb to some people but still. While im sure Franklin is a nice school, and I've heard alot of professionals have attended and graduated im still unsure if i would want to go there. Anyone have any opinions? I know its kind of a crapshoot asking this question on here but there are a few intelligent members on CR, i think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you need to do that? I don't recall what my declared major was at CSCC and I don't recall OSU caring when I transferred there.

1(a). Call OSU's undergraduate admissions office and ask them what to do 614-292-3980.

1(b). Apply here: https://www.applyweb.com/apply/osu/undergrad/dom1.html

If you want a degree with some name recognition, don't do OU. OSU is ranked high in almost every field, it's a very good school to go to.

From OSU's transfer student admission guidelines.

Business (BUS): Transfer students with at least a 3.0 GPA on all

previous college course work enroll as pre-majors in the Fisher College

of Business. Pre-major students enroll in business foundation courses

that are required to apply for admission to the business administration

major. Student are eligible to apply to the major once these foundation

courses have been satisfactorily completed and the required GPA has

been met. Currently the minimum GPA required for admission to the

business administration major is 3.0 based on all grades earned at all

previous institutions as well as Ohio State. Students with less than a

3.0 GPA enroll in the Management and Industry Exploration program to

consider alternative majors. fisher.osu.edu

You can also start with a different major, take the business classes, then move to the business school.

Why would you need to do that? I don't recall what my declared major was at CSCC and I don't recall OSU caring when I transferred there.

1(a). Call OSU's undergraduate admissions office and ask them what to do 614-292-3980.

1(b). Apply here: https://www.applyweb.com/apply/osu/undergrad/dom1.html

If you want a degree with some name recognition, don't do OU. OSU is ranked high in almost every field, it's a very good school to go to.

I think my advisor was trying to say that if i wanted all of my credits to transfer to OSU my declared major must be an arts or science major. As in, all of my business classes taken thusfar wouldnt transfer and I would have to take them all over again at OSU (and pay for them again), yes its not a ton of classes yet but it only costs $73 per credit hour at CSCC, last i checked it was like $250 per credit hour at OSU, so cost is a factor here.

I have heard Franklin is a good business school, its their specialty and i just want to make the right move i guess. Obviously out of my choices OSU will carry the most name recognition but there are other factors in play (cost, how long it would take to graduate undergrad, availability of classes, etc...).

I think my advisor was trying to say that if i wanted all of my credits to transfer to OSU my declared major must be an arts or science major. As in, all of my business classes taken thusfar wouldnt transfer and I would have to take them all over again at OSU (and pay for them again), yes its not a ton of classes yet but it only costs $73 per credit hour at CSCC, last i checked it was like $250 per credit hour at OSU, so cost is a factor here.

I have heard Franklin is a good business school, its their specialty and i just want to make the right move i guess. Obviously out of my choices OSU will carry the most name recognition but there are other factors in play (cost, how long it would take to graduate undergrad, availability of classes, etc...).

I've never heard of that. All of my classes transferred with the exception of auto tech classes. I still take random classes at CSCC (helps with the cost) and they always transfer over to OSU without regard for my major.

I think your best bet is to talk to OSU.

One big thing for you would be that you are required to take a certain amount of hours at OSU to graduate. It wouldn't matter if every class transferred if you didn't take enough hours. You can also check you classes to see if they will transfer using this website: https://www.transfer.org/uselect/login.htm

Most electives transfer directly over but your main major oriented classes will not go hand in hand with OSU's guidelines. I went through this last year. As I am going to CSCC just for electives then transferring over to OSU next year. I'd go OSU and just retake the business classes if that is in face the degree you want. Plus you could potentially go to OSU's Fisher school of Business.

http://www.cob.ohio-state.edu/

The only way for you to be admitted into osu's fisher school of business will be to have accumulated gpa of 3.00+ from all colleges attended. Other wise you will need to declare a different major until you achieve the 3.00+ gpa.

I was actually in the same shoes as you couple of years ago. Have you attended any classes at OSU before? I have, and for the year or so I went there, I really hated their classroom structure. One professor teaching a class of 500+ with all the hard stuff being covered by some grad students trying to get their doctors or what not. Curving for the idiots who do horrible in class.

No matter how you dice it, college degree is just a college degree (as long it was accredited), unless you are going to some ivy college. After couple years of work experience it really should not matter where you went to college.

BTW I now go to Franklin, and I like it better than OSU. Franklin is much more punctual when it comes to working with your needs/ paperwork.

over all good school. just a older group of people

This is what i've heard too.

Also one of the biggest problems I found @ OSU was the age-range/attitude of most of the studens. 90% of the people there were in that 18-22yo age range and seemed to give a fuck less about getting educated...They really just wanted to party. Whereas @ Columbus State (Franklin?) most of the students seem genuinely interested in getting an Education/Bettering themselves, makes a world of difference when it comes to a productive learning environment.

The only way for you to be admitted into osu's fisher school of business will be to have accumulated gpa of 3.00+ from all colleges attended.

I had a 3.5 from Columbus State and could not get in. Im almost positive you have to have a certain amount of OSU Credit hours AND a certain GPA @ OSU (not combined) to get into Fisher. The only way you can side-step those requirements is if you have some high-rollin math placement, which is bullshit.

OSU undergrad is absolute CRAP until your last year. Yes you will get the name recognition witch is worth $$$ but the education itself is a joke, until you're a senior

School is what you make it. Apparently you didn't really want to learn, so it was crap for you. Nice job, you wasted a lot of time an money.

This is what i've heard too.

Also one of the biggest problems I found @ OSU was the age-range/attitude of most of the studens. 90% of the people there were in that 18-22yo age range and seemed to give a fuck less about getting educated...They really just wanted to party. Whereas @ Columbus State (Franklin?) most of the students seem genuinely interested in getting an Education/Bettering themselves, makes a world of difference when it comes to a productive learning environment.

The other students don't have much to do with your ability to learn and do well. Having gone to CSCC and OSU, there is no chance I would go back to CSCC if I didn't want to save money to take an online class. Again, school is what you make it.

I had a 3.5 from Columbus State and could not get in. Im almost positive you have to have a certain amount of OSU Credit hours AND a certain GPA @ OSU (not combined) to get into Fisher. The only way you can side-step those requirements is if you have some high-rollin math placement, which is bullshit.

Yeah, you can't really just transfer into Fisher. You do realize that you have no GPA at OSU when you transfer? You just get K credits which are essentially pass fail. To get into any of those schools (i.e., Fisher, Moritz, etc...) you pretty much have to actually go to OSU and prove you can do well.

School is what you make it. Apparently you didn't really want to learn, so it was crap for you. Nice job, you wasted a lot of time an money.

The other students don't have much to do with your ability to learn and do well. Having gone to CSCC and OSU, there is no chance I would go back to CSCC if I didn't want to save money to take an online class. Again, school is what you make it.

Yeah, you can't really just transfer into Fisher. You do realize that you have no GPA at OSU when you transfer? You just get K credits which are essentially pass fail. To get into any of those schools (i.e., Fisher, Moritz, etc...) you pretty much have to actually go to OSU and prove you can do well.

See I learn best from other people, specifically interaction with other people and professors. I have learning disamabilties (don't confuse that with being stupid). I learn best in small class rooms with lots of student-to-student interaction, and professor-student interaction. You can't just stick me in a huge classroom and expect me to learn something by listening to a professor continuously ramble on for 2 hours straight, it just doesn't work (well it works to some extent, but I can't stand it). That being said night classes @ OSU actually fit the bill, however "Night" and "Undergrad" are almost unheard of there.

Thats what I was trying to say. Although there is some little bonus deal with Math, like if your in Calc-xxx you can get into Fisher without going through all of the hoops everyone else has to.

See I learn best from other people, specifically interaction with other people and professors. I have learning disamabilties (don't confuse that with being stupid). I learn best in small class rooms with lots of student-to-student interaction, and professor-student interaction. You can't just stick me in a huge classroom and expect me to learn something by listening to a professor continuously ramble on for 2 hours straight, it just doesn't work (well it works to some extent, but I can't stand it). That being said night classes @ OSU actually fit the bill, however "Night" and "Undergrad" are almost unheard of there.

The best thing to do with that is to go to a smaller college (e.g., CSCC) for all of your GEC's and then go to a highly rated university (e.g., The Ohio State University) for your major concentration.

It's taken me most of my adult life to get over my school snobbery. I dropped out of OSU to join the military and finished my degree at some crap school that nobody cares about. I always intended to go back to OSU for a master's degree, just to get the name on my resume and regain some pride. Ends up that after 8 years of job experience, nobody really gives a hoot where you want to school; my current employer never even asked where I got my degree.

If you're 22 and you're applying for an entry level job with a bunch of other 22 year olds, a good school can set you apart. If you're older, a BS is an important checkbox to have ticked off, but your previous work experience, even if it's not directly in the same field, is what can and should set you apart from other applicants.

Some companies will want fresh college grads, others will want people who have some experience. YMMV. My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong either way.

The best thing to do with that is to go to a smaller college (e.g., CSCC) for all of your GEC's and then go to a highly rated university (e.g., The Ohio State University) for your major concentration.

thats exactly what I did ;). However I like went into shock when I got to OSU b/c I thought it was going to be exactly like Columbus State but better (small class sizes, lots of student/professor interaction) only when I got there it was the opposite and I totally freaked out and immediately took a negative approach. I wish more then anything someone would have told me it was going to be much different, instead of hyping it up like it was going to be 10x better. From what i've been told once you get in your higher level classes it is 10x better but your first year or so there it can be crap (if you get stuck with the wrong professors and more importantly the wrong TA's).

Another thing that pissed me off about OSU was the overall attitude towards freshman/sophmores. Like in terms of *classroom* amenities everything was junk: classrooms were junk, chairs/desks/blackboards/Computers...junk. Like coming from Columbus State where everything was plush it was a big shock to take a step down the ladder, like I had better accommodations in high school. It would be one thing if they (OSU) couldn't afford it but they can, they just choose to put there money into there medical/graduate schools - that pissed me off. Especially when that school is so "highly regarded". Again I had really high expectations for that school and I felt like I got let down when I got there. I sorta got sidetracked and eventually dropped-out, my fault but still, I wish someone would have warned me.

Edited by acklac7

Just thought I would add that RPAC alone (not to mention the other extra-curricular activities/amenities/incentives - health insurance being a key one) makes up for 50% of all the educational bullshit @ OSU - That place is tits.

But don't take my word for it.

""Arr-pack". It's not a hyperbole to say this is one of the best gyms in the country let alone the mere city of Columbus, Ohio. Kind of cruel to get you addicted as a student and then throw you out into the real world where gyms aren't the size of airports and there's not a calendar booked solid with classes from Aerobics to Zumba and everything in between. "

Good info guys. Some points i completely agree with, regardless of what school it is. Its the work i put in that will count. I think i would actually get a better education at Franklin but again I want to explore my options.

Ive heard alot of good things about Franklin, mostly that its an older crowd of professionals that have lives (jobs, families, etc...) which would be almost the opposite of the type of atmosphere i would expect as an undergrad at OSU. Ive also heard from other's that WHERE you went to school doesnt matter in the long run, just that you went at all. Your actual work experience is what matters more. I dont mind Franklin at all, in fact i wont judge it until i actually check it out. Im just skeptical that all my advisers are telling me the same thing trying to push me in that direction. I want to know my options first.

When I asked my uncle if he thought I would be at a dissadvantage coming out of school later in life than a 22y/o kid from OSU he said not at all. "You just have to play up your life/work experience as a plus." We were talking about law school at the time but it totally made sense.

Isn't Franklin (significantly) more expensive than tOSU?

Not by much. By the time OSU forces the "Healthplan" (complete ripoff because the benefit does not outweigh the cost), and other fees, you are right near 4k.

At Franklin it is 4500 per trimester.

You might want to also consider the traffic/ the time it takes to go class. If you have less than 90+ credit hours, you have to park at the West campus and it may take you something like 15+ minutes to get to your class after you arrive at OSU. It may not sound like much but the time really does add up.