Need to vent.

98fiveseven1647545503

Ok I need to vent somewhere some people can not see. (IE not facebook)

So I sold my 08 ZX6R with 7xxx miles two and a half to three months ago. The only discrepancy with the bike was small tick the bike had since day one. Well my first mistake was selling it to a friend/co-worker, I know this so we don't need to beat a dead horse later.

Now the bike is at 90xx miles and last week the bike up and died on the guy on the buyer on his way home from work. He said that the tick got loud(er) and kept riding. Once he got to our development the bike shut off, with no restart. I come help him load the bike onto my trailer and take it the rest of the way home (less than half mile id guess). It already had an appt at the dealer to raise the bike back to stock height, sprockets and chain, and a manual chain tensioner ( He said that was what the noise was).

The local Kawi dealership said that the crankshaft sheared/broke off of the drive gears (I'm not sure if he means the timing gears or to the transmission.) Now the engine needs replaced/rebuilt.

The whole point of the post was to vent because there have been posts on FB more or less saying its my fault the bike was broke/ the bike was broken when I sold it. The buyer knew that I had previously drag raced the bike (why it was lowered with shinko tires). He had rode with me before buying and saw how I ride on the street.

Once I got my new busa a week or two after selling the ninja we have had more then a few spirited rides on back roads around the area.

So thats the story what is your opinion I just needed to vent I know there are a couple members on here that have read some of the posts on FB

Tough shit, things break. I mean caveat emptor, but I see how you are in a tough spot. My solution is sell shit to someone other than immediate friends/family, cause if and when it breaks, they'll always look toward you to fix it.

This.

Yeah, not your problem...

you buy stuff as is.. It ran fine when you owned it.. Who knows how he treated it when you werent around..

Agreed, not your problem.

Yup.....

:gabe:

KillJoy

I mean if I knew the bike had ANY issues it would not get sold to someone I work with EVERYDAY, or on CR! or anyone I know personally.

The sad part is nobody is going to come out and say, "yeah, I beat up on it and drove it wrong so it broke", so your trying to give somebody a good deal because they are a friend/coworker/CR member/whatever always ends up with the person making you look like an asshole if anything does go wrong your fault or not. I feel for you because I'm sure your intentions were good. As much as I would have loved to give coworkers or friends good deals on cars I've sold, I've always told them that I wouldn't sell them to them because of the what if factor.

Let him vent on gaybook. He'll get over it. Or, he won't. Life will go on.

Seriously. It's not like he put 5 miles on it and it died. He put 2000 miles on it and having a good time (not babying it) from the sounds of it. Who knows what caused it to break. In addition he knew the history of the bike.

caveat emptor. As was said, its not as if he didn't know about the tick when he bought it, and its not like it happened 2 days later. Shit, 3 months ago was a different season.

Its never mean spirited, but I always make sure to include "AS IS" in a bill of sale when privately selling high-dollar items.

It sucks man but it really isnt your fault so dont sweat it. Ive been in a similar situation as you only with a car. It was a 91 with 230k miles when i sold it. About 6 months later the water pump let go, then it had a vacuum leak and the gas tank had a rust hole in it. New owner bitched to my girlfriend about it and tried to tell her i sold a known busted ass car (the only problem i ever had with the car was the engine cradle cracking in half, but was replaced)

Point is though, i had 2 ways to handle it, tell em to fuck off, or try to keep peace and offer to help. I did a little of both in the end and told said person the car was fine when i sold it, but i will fix the the things when i get a chance, and not for free. Sad part is though, i sold the car for $100 bucks